can't find a good synthetic sae 30 for my mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not certain but I THOUGHT Amsoil makes (or had made) a full syn 30 weight.

Wasn't that also the 10w-30, that was also the 30 weight? I dunno on that one, but why not use 10w-30? Better start-up flow, and it'll still be a 30. What engine is this? Briggs even if its not your brand engine, recommends 5w-30 synthetic.

It used to be "the SAE 30 that could also be a multigrade", and is now marketted as a multigrade.

It should be marketted as both, as it is a multigrade with no viscosity index improvers, and therefore straight weight, but also multi.

I'd use it in preference over M1 10W-30, also a "multigrade" with no V.I. Improvers.

Amsoil & Royal Purple both sell an SAE 30 synthetic. Finding a store that carries the RP SAE 30 will be the problem.

Amsoil's SAE 30 is dual rated 10w30 & SAE 30.

Doesn't Redline also sell straight weight synthetics in their racing oils lineup?

My mower has a honda engine. It actually came with my house so I dont have any manuals to look from to see what all it can take

I found Royal Purple Synthetic SAE 30 at Napa today, but they only had it in gallon jugs. Way more than I'd ever need and I didn't even ask how much. Cheaply priced I'm sure
grin.gif

The Amsoil SAE30/10W30 only comes in Gallon jugs and larger. If I was looking for a small amount of oil I would just go with the 10W30 synthetic in a 1 qt bottle.

My "Pressure Wave" power washer with Honda GC160 5.5hp OHC engine from Sam's Club runs great with Val Max Life Syn 5-30.

Try their MaxLife Syn 10-30 or 10-40. their dino and syn MaxLife oils are supposed to be on the heavy side.

My Murray mower w/ 3.5 B&S from the late 80's uses no oil with the Val MaxLife Syn.

Good luck.

Haccofficer, If it has the GC series engine, I can send you a PDF of my manual regarding oil.

I used Royal Purple 30wt in my lawnmower last season. I think that the best and most cost efficient method for a small engine is to just use a decent oil like Delo or Rotella 15w40 and change often. It's not so much the quality of the oil in small engines but rather keeping the nonfiltered crankcase clean with fresh oil.

I got Amsoil ACD SAE 30/10w-30 (it meets both specs).
It has the added benefit of a diesel-strength add pack.

I got it through one of the site sponsors... It was a good experience.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back