can you remember your elementary school lunches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the square pizza well it was more rectangle. I also remember some kind of chicken slop over mashed potatoes and the BEST rolls! Someone should market rolls like that.

The lunchs werent bad when I was kid, the cinnimon rolls you could purchase separately were better than Cinnabons now. The turkey and stuffing was my favorite and the rolls were good too. I went and had lunch with my kids, two weeks ago, the lunchs were pathetic, they are so Generic. Alot of the stuff is pre-packaged and not even cooked. I was not impressed, I would have thought food would have improved, no wonder Lunchables are so popular now.

Sprintman must be vegetarian. =-)

What I found disheartening, during my last year of highschool was that they disbanded the inhouse cooking staff that made EVERYTHING fresh for the day, nothing pre-packaged (that I remember anyway, I always ate the meal of the day) in favor of bringing in one of the food service corporations. Prices up, food pre-packaged and minimalistic, nothing fresh and it all tasted like ----.

Alex.

I went to Catholic school in the Chicago area. Each lunch consisted of a hot pack & cold pack.

The good ones:
Hot dogs & mustard
Burrito
Tacos

Awful:
Pizza. The hot pack consisted of a rectangle with a 1/4" thickness of bread, red sauce, and alleged cheese, heated. (Remember Chicago does pizza well, but this stuff was awful). The cold pack came with a banana & cole slaw most of the time. Otherwise it was a banana and Jello with prunes. And wash it all down with chocolate milk I've never had cole slaw, pizza, chocolate milk and a banana in the same meal. Come to think of it, I've never had it in he same day. ick.

When the guys hit 6th grade, the food portions were simply not enough, we'd wind up eating 2 of every hot pack.

In elementary school (grade 1 through 4) classes (five x 45 minutes) were over at 11:55 amd and everyone went home and had lunch there. We didn't have school in the afternoon, but homework instead. We had a 20 minute break from 10:05 till 10:25. Kids either brought some food or bought a roll a pretzel and milk or a juice box in the school.

In high school (grade 5 through 13) we had a maximum of 6 hours (until 12:20 pm) and we all went home for lunch. Only from 10 grade on we sometimes had classes in the afternoon, usually physical education (always 2 hours) or an elective. Kids over 16 could legally leave the school premises to buy food at a local café etc. The school offered then rolls, pretzels, milk, juice, etc, all cheap at about 75 cents for a roll and a beverage.

Nowadays my old school has a real mess hall and a variety of hot and cold dishes are offered. I guess the curriculum is now spread out well into the afternoon. Those poor wretches!
laugh.gif

We just found out that the local High School here built a "Food Court". My wife said "wow, all these years my kids suffered in a cafeteria".

I just had lunch with my two kids today in Elementry school. It was their Thanksgiving meal and they wanted me to come have lunch with them, so I did. The food was lousy, the stuffing tasted like sawdust and vineger, the meat was little and soggy, the roll was the best part. Its a shame because school lunchs werent that bad when I was in school and they dont have to be that nasty. Iam not a fussy eater and Iam not blowing this ouy of proportion, if you have kids, please go have lunch with them some day, its awful what they feed our kids. Inmates probably get better food then this.

It should be against the law to serve vegimite to minor's let alone with cheese!!!! I would rather eat the scent gland out of a dead skunk found on the side of the road!!! You know it is now against the law to try to import or bring vegimite to USA!!! I belive it is listed as a Hazardious substance!!!LOL

I rember when I lived In Georgia we had sweet patatoes in a glaze every day!!!! We had yeast roll's with lot's of bull weevels in them!!! SO you either did surgery on your yeast role or you ate it as is and said YUUUM extra protein everytime you hiut a crunchy bit!!!! I rember the mystery meat, the soy burger's and green looking corn!!!! Nothing tasted good!!! That was at Faith Middle School at Ft. Benning Ga. wich has been renamed I belive....Now my H.S. in Germany had much better food but it still was not great so I often ate at a gut wagon that would roll up to the school just outside the gate or I would go to a little Italin resturant close by!!!!The only really good thing about the Cafateria food was that they would often give the athlete's generious portions and never charged us for seconds or third's as long as we had our letter jacket on!!!My favorite lunch in H.S. was Curry Wurst with a beer or 1/2 a chicken with a beer!

Some of the best food I have ever had in a cafateria seting were in Army Mess Hall's and I do not understand why School's with full kitchens can not do as good of a job!!! I mean they do a great job on ships and submarines too and they have to bring everything with them!!!They are not getting resupplied weekly like the local schools!!!!

I went to a Spagetti dinner at my oldest's boy's school and it was dreadfull!!! The sauce was as thin as water I mean that tomato juice is not that thin and it had no spices at all...The noodles were over cooked and the garlic bread did not have any garlic on it or in it!!!

My boy brown bag's it most day's since their food is so bad... The school does not even make peanut butter and jelly sandwich's they buy them premade and they are like a stop sign shape with very thin stale bread and sealed inside is a watery mixture of peanut butter and jelly.... The really sad thing is that everything they serve is supper processed... I find it hard to belive that it is cheaper to do that then cook a hole chicken that cost $1.50-$2 and feeds 8 kids or more etc... You know what I mean????

I am not sure how they got their I just know that the whole time I lived at Ft. Benning Ga. and attended DOD school's it was a problem!I am just glad they were not serveing Vegimite sandwich's after hearing the horror stories from or frinds in OZ!!!

Originally Posted By: Cogito
How did boll weevils get in yeast rolls? Aren't they a cotton bug?

When faced with rolls infested by weevils, you must choose the lesser weevil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back