can you remember your elementary school lunches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im 37 now but i can still remember what my school used to serve. i remember getting a calander for the whole month that showed what would be served on that given day. i remember deep dish pizza that was baked on a cake pan and cut into squares, a pretty hefty portion for a little guy too. i remember fish sticks and french fries. i remember a taco, a regular corn tortilla filled with some kind of meat/bean mixture that seemed all ground up together and then deep fried. i also remember the meat loaf and mashed potatoes served with green peas and a girl sitting next to me telling me that green peas make you fat as i was shoveling them down. my last reccolection was when you forgot your lunch money they gave us a roll and a box of milk, your choice of chocolate or white. im sure the chocolate probably went at a good 5-1 ratio.

Did you ever have "stop sign" pizza? Octagonal pizza that was called a Mexican Pizza by the school lunchroom menu...It may or may not have been influenced by Mexican cuisine...I loved it!...We got pizza almost every Friday!...

Oz never had lunches served to children.

You brought your own, or bought from the canteen.

Brought from home
Beetroot sandwiches
Cheese and Vegemite sandwiches
Lettuce and vegemite sandwiches
Devon and Sauce (baloney and ketchup) sandwiches
Ham sandwiches.
Cheese and tomato sandwiches

Milk was .04$, then it went up to .05$!

Lunch was .35$! I remember it but.....I didn't eat much.

Shannow - not sure what you are implying?? Kids had to leave school to buy lunch?

Schools have a canteen on site, staffed by parents.

Children can buy pies sausage rolls, sandwiches etc.

It's traditional even if you are a "brown bagger" to be fiven money on Friday to buy lunch.

As to leaving site, when I was 7/8, we used to sneak out and go to the fish and chip shop.

$0.10 of chips would leave you with leftovers. Now, a cup of chips is $2 or more.

Quote:

Schools have a canteen on site, staffed by parents.

Children can buy pies sausage rolls, sandwiches etc.

It's traditional even if you are a "brown bagger" to be fiven money on Friday to buy lunch.

As to leaving site, when I was 7/8, we used to sneak out and go to the fish and chip shop.

$0.10 of chips would leave you with leftovers. Now, a cup of chips is $2 or more.

Quote:

Oz never had lunches served to children.

You brought your own, or bought from the canteen.

We do speak a different language. First you say that Oz kids didn't have lunches at school, then you say they buy them from a canteen, which is at the school......which is it?

OK children eat at school, eating w=either what they bring, or what the buy at the volunteer run canteen/tuck-shop (We could go home for lunch when I was little, but they don't allow that these days).

There is no "mess hall" like we see in movies etc, where "meals" are served.

Make more sense ?

Quote:

There is no "mess hall" like we see in movies etc, where "meals" are served.

Make more sense ?

Don't believe everything you see on TV/Movies about the USA. My high school was like you describe, but staffed by students and (paid) workers. Not a mess hall.

Friday was pizza day, milk was 4 cents, chocolate milk was 5 cents. Grilled cheese was good, Salisbury steak was nasty. Tuna sandwich was nasty. I usually brown bagged it.

Sprintman, normally grades 1-6. My school only served us hot lunches once a week. I remember the Sloppy Joes were great. 15 cents each. Such a deal.

I remember having a lunch menu for the month. I also remember that everything from the cafeteria tasted terrible. I brown bagged it from 1st through 8th grade. our cafeterias were large mess halls just like in the movies. a hot lunch from the cafeteria was $1.

Sloppy Joe is chopped meat in a tangy red sauce on a bun. They can range from being tasty to being absolutely awful.

sprintman, I had to look up the "sloppy joe" .au reference; a "jumper" in the US can also mean someone leaping from a building to kill themselves. Alas, you meant "jumpsuit."

Actually quite tasty. Sloppy Joe tuesdays at my highschool was always good.
Elementary schools here (jk-8) do not have food prep facilities. You bring your own or you walk home.

Alex.

Don't judge something you haven't tried. Sloppy Joes can be great or just so-so. It's little more than ground beef mixed in a thick tomato, onion, and green pepper sauce, and served on a hamburger bun. What's the problem with that? No rat meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back