Can we save the environment by increasing oil capacity?

I've noticed that as car motors shrink, so does the oil capacity.

So why can't you just double oil capacity to double or triple oil change intervals? Engines seem to have such small sumps that the oil is cycling continuously shearing it down faster.

Now stick a 6 quart sump on the 1.6 liter engine, you could get 14k+ OCI's since you got double the oil capacity, and a high mileage oil filter.
Because once it starts getting acidic and wet it will age out. Like washing dishes, you can try to use a lot of dish soap and water but it is better to dump out the dirty stuff and start from clean water and dish soap every meal, instead of letting the dirty dish soap and water sit till the next day and double-dip it.

It will also take a heck lot longer to warm up double or triple the amount of oil.

Good thought. Perhaps consider engineering an engine that has typical 1yr/10k OCI but with a smaller oil sump. Kind of the theory "as little as possible, but as much as necessary". This would also reduce weight, and probably windage losses creating a more efficient engine package.

USA was almost as bad as mainland China is now back then. :(

My father, in an oil related story, told me people in his neighborhood would just park their cars on the curb over a sewer grate and drain their oil directly into the sewer in the 60s and 70s when he was a kid.

Also this:
clcfr7xw08y31.jpg
Returning the oil to where it originally came from?

Back