Can we save the environment by increasing oil capacity?

I've noticed that as car motors shrink, so does the oil capacity.

So why can't you just double oil capacity to double or triple oil change intervals? Engines seem to have such small sumps that the oil is cycling continuously shearing it down faster.

Now stick a 6 quart sump on the 1.6 liter engine, you could get 14k+ OCI's since you got double the oil capacity, and a high mileage oil filter.

ford already does this in their larger displacement engines. the 6.7 takes 13 quarts. the 5.0 takes 9 quarts and the 7.3 takes 8 quarts. these sump capacities allow for longer intervals. toyota also does it. wives rx350 takes 6 quarts and it only a 3.5 litre.

So why can't you just double oil capacity to double or triple oil change intervals? Engines seem to have such small sumps that the oil is cycling continuously shearing it down faster.

Now stick a 6 quart sump on the 1.6 liter engine, you could get 14k+ OCI's since you got double the oil capacity, and a high mileage oil filter.

How many quarts of oil does an old V8 from the 70's hold?

Many new VW's with a 2.0 turbo hold 6 quarts. A 455-7.5L Buick V8 from the 70's holds 5 quarts including filter.
A new 2021 Corolla with a 2.0L holds 4.9 quarts while the 1.8L Corolla hybrid and the non hybrid 1.8L holds 4.4 quarts.

ford already does this in their larger displacement engines. the 6.7 takes 13 quarts. the 5.0 takes 9 quarts and the 7.3 takes 8 quarts. these sump capacities allow for longer intervals. toyota also does it. wives rx350 takes 6 quarts and it only a 3.5 litre.

Same with VW/Audi. My GTI 2.0T (EA888 3G) has a total oil capacity
of almost 7 quarts (almost 6 quarts to change)*. That's clearly more
than most if not all 2-litre engines came with in the past, it's actually
close to past smaller inline and V6 engines.

*6.6 and 5.7 l respectively

Why would you start such a large scale project by suggesting such a minuscule action. While incremental changes can be beneficial long term, seems idealistic at best. Ideology stymies progress.

Big money and politics, coupled with the media projection of these small incremental changes, keep real progress from realization. Not anyone in either US political party has the ballz to do it. It requires hard ball with our trade partners. Call em all out, Europe, India, and of course China. Start with Europe. A lot of wind blown so hold their feet to the fire. Put up and we will as well. Then India and hey China, you need to curtail those cement factories and the pollution they spew.

Innovate! That is the key.

I suggested this very idea a few months back in a similar thread. Its a decent idea in my opinion.

An interesting question. So, if a car can be made with a non serviceable, lifetime transmission why not an engine?

I got the answer. Substitute EV for ICE! Problem solved. ;)

Feeling guilty about something?

My primary vehicle (2011 Toyota 4Runner) accumulates 5,000 miles/year with a recommended OCI of 12 months or 10,000 miles. My backup vehicle (2000 Nissan Maxima) accumulates about 1800 miles/year with a recommended OCI of 3 months or 3,750 miles.

I change oil once a year in both vehicles. A larger oil sump would not benefit me.

The environment will be fine.This planet has healed itself from many catastrophes and disasters long, long before humans.

You’re talking about saving modern humans from reverting back to the 1700’s due to the lack of fossil fuels from over consumption. But “saving the plant” sounds better than keeping our species alive while maintaining comforts we are accustomed to.

If all the Climate Change leaders stopped using their private jets everywhere they go, then that would help the environment tremendously. Don't have the exact number, as many sources contradict each other, but there was definitely a few hundred private jets that all flew in for the Global Climate Change talk. Oh the irony.

2379.jpg

P.S. Even if every single BITOG member doubles or triples their OCI - the environmental benefits from such action will be destroyed by just 1 private jet. Regardless of whether we're talking of a single OCI VS. single flight, or course of lifetime of equipment. Now think about hundreds of private jets. Let that sink in.

Last edited:
I remember some 90s / 00s Nissans had a 3 quart capacity. We've gone up from there.Sounds like a lot hasn't changed.
Doesn't sound like a lot has changed. My 2016 Nissan Versa owners manual says the sump capacity with oil/filter change is something like 3.875 qts if I recall correctly. I always change the filter when I do an oil change. Just putting in 3.1875 quarts the dipstick shows slightly above the full mark. I never do an UOA but the oil coming out the Versa at OC is still a dark honey color on the dipstick and still feels to have very good lubrication properties. In owning and maintaining cars for nearly 45 years I've never owned one that had a sump larger than 5 qts. I'm currently running 5-7.5K mile OCI's on all my cars. I went from 3K to 5K mile OCI probably about 20 years ago with no negative effects so I've gone to 7.5K on a couple of my cars in the past couple years. As I remember old VW Bugs from the 60's and earlier also had about a 3 quart sump capacity.

Last edited:
Back