Can the Latest Oil Spec REALLY...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Trav
When a major oil producer like Shell sells a zinc additive for older cars to be used with the modern oil formulations that's answer enough for me.

How much does the existence of a product really mean about whether it's necessary? Aren't there a bunch of products on the market that aren't necessary or even good, but that still have huge markets?

How many are produced and sold by major oil companies? Shell claims it is necessary for older flat tappet engines when using modern oils. Personally I believe Shell before guys on a forum unless its a expert like Mola.

I think the realities of modern life have caused us to be sceptical and wary, maybe in some cases too much so. I am sympathetic to posters who see some products as just another way to get our money. But i agree with trav on this one; regardless of past indiscretions (lying? Misleading us?) by the oil companies, sometimes you just gotta go with what they tell you as long as it appears to make sense.

I just wish the company sites would catch up to my new engine so i could see what they recommend specifically for it.

Last edited:
For the most part, I'm still convinced that a modern oil can do most jobs, even on legacy equipment. There are a few qualifiers, of course. The two stroke DD engines obviously require something suitable that just isn't any HDEO. And, flat tappets with high spring pressures might need more caution.

That being said, my old F-150 doesn't need me to go out and buy Joe Gibbs. It will work just fine on PYB 5w-30 SN/GF-5 or any other modern oil of a suitable viscosity. Of course, I'm not going to try 0w-16 in it. Regardless of the specification in question, a suitable viscosity should be chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back