Can somebody explain biking fashion to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Cycling isn't the only sport where someone gets the full kit but can't back it up. Not worth thinking about and it gets sorted out when the trail or road goes up or down.

I don't think about it often but when I tried to shop for bike clothe the other day, it got me pondering on the meaning of cycling life.

Cycling is among an only handful of sports where amateurs in non-sanctioned events get kitted it up. Try showing up at a pick up basketball game in full Cleveland Cavs gear. That is an invitation for everybody else to dunk on you. Or go play tackle football at the local playground. Nobody is wearing pads.

I love cycling but hate the culture. It takes itself very seriously. It's the only sport I can think of (aside from maybe running) where amateurs will "train" for 2-3 hours a day while ignoring family and non-cycling friends so they can place 38th instead of 55th at their local cat 2 race. Meanwhile, they bump chests about the fancy gear and fitness, while dropping loads of money on unhealthy artificial gels and nutrition.

Yeah man... I agree. I'm an avid mountain biker but I hate all the kits some people wear. I do, however understand the benefits of wearing the correct clothing.
I start with bib shorts or bib knickers. By themselves, I look like a Russian wrestler from the 1930's. Then I add baggy MTB specific cargo shorts or knickers if it's cold and want my knees covered and wicking tops from Under Armour, Eastern Mountain Sports or wherever.
I do have a couple of really cool long sleeve jerseys from Endura Sport. My wife says I look like an action figure when I'm going riding. That's better than what people used to say I looked like back in the early 90's when MTB clothing had not yet taken off and we kinda mixed road lycra with whatever else.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I have learned over time that when riding long distances and/or in hot weather, good compression bibs with a chamois virtually eliminate skin chafing. I don't wear 'kit wear', instead I buy the most obnoxiously bright colored jerseys I can find, usually in a solid color. I firmly believe that because I ride so much, that the numbers are already stacked against me so I WANT to be seen from as far away as possible. I have a couple close calls every year and often wonder how much more dangerous it would be if I wore dark or neutral colored clothing.

Similar story here. I'll wear compression padded shorts. oilBabe does ask me to wear cargo shorts in the car when she's with me, but doesn't mind the lycra while on the bike.

I get bright, solid color bike shirts from LL Bean. I like bright shirts so I'm more visible.

We have a good rails to trails network, so I only go on a few road rides each year. Usually organized rides or races such as the Tour de Donut in Stanuton, IL.

The locals are pretty good about cyclists on the roads during these rides. But I still want to be seen, but don't want the "race kit" I've seen some sport.

I do have the Car Talk bike jersey, but oilBabe didn't realize it was not standard US sizes, so it's too small for me.

Maybe I should post it up here and offer it for sale.

I bought several jerseys from Performance a few years ago, mostly in neon yellow, for visibility. No logos. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb on group rides, but whatever. Doesn't help that my handlebar tape is falling off, and I use mountain bike SPD's. Performance shorts too. But it works for me. I ride for my pleasure, not others.

I don't like clothes that flap around me, can't stand the noise--I actually wear a skull cap to deal with wind noise. I'm not a fast rider but above 16mph I've found I don't like the noise. A flappy shell will drive me nuts. That said, in winter riding I go slower, and then more conventional clothing works fine (jeans, even).

We have an LL Bean outlet nearby and every so often I'll find some decent gear there, Pearl Izumi mostly. No logos, again, but decent gear. That said, if I get deeply into riding this spring I might be willing to step up and get jerseys with logos on them, if only to match other riders.

I just picked up some moisture wicking fitness long sleeve shirts at Meijer for $10 a piece. They look better than 99% of the biking jerseys I've seen and fit perfectly. Only downside is there are no pockets like some cycling jerseys but I can live with that. Shockingly, when paired with my MTB shorts, I actually don't stick out like a sore thumb among other mountain bikers. Kinda of trail/enduro look without the logos and bright colors.

I used to feel that way about tight fitting clothing, but over time you might figure out why its the "fashion." That is because it works. More comfy, moisture wicking and less snags. It really is WAY more comfy running tighter clothing on the trail if you are riding hard (fast or not isn't important, just how much your putting into the ride).

That said, I'm not exactly at my physical peak *cough cough* and the only times I rock tighter biking clothing is for hard rides in hot weather any more.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Honestly, bike clothing style is the worst thing about being a biker. Being decked in in lycra is not something I can ever do, which is good because I don't ever plan on racing road bikes. I mostly do mountain bikes which is slightly better fashion but even then, it's hard to find a jersey that isn't a billboard for the company that made the jersey or doesn't require sunglasses to look at with all the bright monstrosity of colors.

Has anybody found a solution?

"road bike" lycra is good for mountain biking. Just wear shorts over it. I prefer roadie jerseys also, which the tighter fit means, aside from moisture wicking, it's less likely to snag on the tree branches.

For mountain bike fashion:
https://youtu.be/WPVRU7jSYkQ
quick summary with lots of tongue-in-cheek humor

Originally Posted By: Squeebie
I wear Canari cotton shorts (I hate lycra) and a solid color Pearl Izumi jersey most of the time. Less than $50.00 total. Padded shorts and rear jersey pockets can make a difference. I also wear plain t-shirts sometimes. Plain white helmet, plain black MB shoes. Focus is on function, comfort, and visibility. Not fashion. But I don't pay attention if others want to gear up to the max. Cycling snobbery is a thing. Just not for me. YMMV.
+1, Visibility, comfort, and function. All gear is not created equal. For me, Louis Garneau is my "go to" brand.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Honestly, bike clothing style is the worst thing about being a biker. Being decked in in lycra is not something I can ever do, which is good because I don't ever plan on racing road bikes. I mostly do mountain bikes which is slightly better fashion but even then, it's hard to find a jersey that isn't a billboard for the company that made the jersey or doesn't require sunglasses to look at with all the bright monstrosity of colors.

Has anybody found a solution?

"road bike" lycra is good for mountain biking. Just wear shorts over it. I prefer roadie jerseys also, which the tighter fit means, aside from moisture wicking, it's less likely to snag on the tree branches.

For mountain bike fashion:
https://youtu.be/WPVRU7jSYkQ
quick summary with lots of tongue-in-cheek humor

Loved the video....and way too accurate.

I've been on a kick from these guys for cycling kit, it's not as expensive as Rapha but it doesn't exude Euro-snob either. They're right now heavy on the women's stuff to a point they're becoming lululemon-esque(where their men's product is great but is also an after thought). I've also been impressed with Castelli's team-issue stuff and Velocio.

http://store.tenspeedhero.com/

Last edited:
fcb19edb7d9abd970ecadcf0c8d55b2f.jpg

715341d1344262393-calvin-hobbs-passion-chdad.jpg

With the new year I've been trying to hit the roads already, but have been doing so on my old 3 speed. And wearing jeans. Probably the same pair for all ~75 miles so far this year. I've noticed a pair of holes starting to develop right where my sit bones are. Similarly I've noticed that the ski mittens I've been wearing are very quickly developing holes at the thumbs.

So some aspect of the trends must be "longevity". I've got some padded shorts which must have a few thousand miles on. As opposed to this pair of jeans which won't make a hundred.

I thought biking shorts were hilarious until I started road biking with coworkers...went out with them twice wearing baseball pants, suffered from serious pain, and then bought my own. They are a must have for anybody who is going to ride hard regularly. Baseball pants are also pretty hilarious until you try to slide without them...

Helmets are a good source of laughs until you see a friend flip over the handlebars at 30mph and hit his head...luckily, my friend wore a helmet and his most serious issues were from landing on his back after his head. You could tell Liam Neeson that ski helmets are a joke, his wife died after a minor crash without one...I have had to replace two helmets after ski crashes, much easier than replacing my head.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I thought biking shorts were hilarious until I started road biking with coworkers...went out with them twice wearing baseball pants, suffered from serious pain, and then bought my own. They are a must have for anybody who is going to ride hard regularly. Baseball pants are also pretty hilarious until you try to slide without them...

Helmets are a good source of laughs until you see a friend flip over the handlebars at 30mph and hit his head...luckily, my friend wore a helmet and his most serious issues were from landing on his back after his head. You could tell Liam Neeson that ski helmets are a joke, his wife died after a minor crash without one...I have had to replace two helmets after ski crashes, much easier than replacing my head.

Well said. I look like an idiot in bike shorts but I regularly ride long distance so the comfort outweighs the looks. I tend to wear the more subdued bike jerseys or ones I get free from events.

My mountain biking kit consists of biking shorts and padded gloves. I can't imagine riding without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back