Help me spend my money! New ADV touring bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as promised, here she is:

The bike came in Wednesday afternoon and I have already put 100 miles on. I changed the motor oil and shaft drive oil already as part of the break in and I am glad I did. I got a glitter show from both the motor oil and the shaft oil was even worse. Dark, bubbly gear oil came out loaded with shavings and smelling really bad. I will do another oil change at 500 miles then again at 2,000 miles and will start a more normal maintenance routine then.

Here are my initial impressions; overall, I am very happy with my purchase! The machine is very easy to ride and comfortable yet the performance is outstanding. The engine and transmission work excellently together and I really have no complaints. The power is awesome, with very smooth, controllable acceleration from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm. After 4,000 rpm, the machine really starts to move and there is some whiskey throttle if you aren't ready! The engine sounds great, engine braking is smooth and easy to use, the clutch is very easy to manipulate and the shifts are already very smooth. The suspension feels great with a good combination of spring tension and dampening for a very controlled ride with good traction on all road surfaces. The factory suspensions setting were a little hard for me so I backed off the spring pre-load and dampening one click front and rear and now she rides smooth and I am impressed! The ergonomics are great also and with the seat in the higher setting, I feel right at home coming from my KLR. The stock windshield is nice and pushes the wind just to the top inch of my helmet in the all the way up position. If I want to be totally out of the wind, I very slight slouch does it. I have already completed a 20 mile trip 2 up and the wife likes it too! Her seat is pretty good and she likes the positioning but she really misses having a top box to lean back on. I will get to that soon enough. My only minor gripe if I had one would be the location of the handlebars. They feel just a touch low and a little too far forward for my likes. I set of 1 inch rox bar back risers should fix this right up but I am not sure if that will work on this bike. The handlebar clamps are set at a 45 degree angle to the bars rather than just clamping straight across, so I am not sure.

That being said, I am very happy! I am feeling absolutely no buyer remorse and I am glad I got this instead of my other choices. Post up with questions or insight!

Nice ! bike looks good. I think you should ride more before changing bar position, up and back that brisk acceleration gets more hairy...but I don't know your body size so what the heck.

The GS hands down. Join the BMW MOA and also look at the hall of wisdom on Advrider. There is a GS911 that can do all the factory diagnostics for 400. Some folks have them and share them between enthusiasts in the same area. You can do most all maintenance yourself. Jim Vonbladen makes a maintance dvd that you might want.

They are good bikes, not perfect but very good. There are many with well over 100K Smiles (BMW do not have miles, the have Smiles) I will get another when my current one wears out.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
The GS hands down. Join the BMW MOA and also look at the hall of wisdom on Advrider. There is a GS911 that can do all the factory diagnostics for 400. Some folks have them and share them between enthusiasts in the same area. You can do most all maintenance yourself. Jim Vonbladen makes a maintance dvd that you might want.

They are good bikes, not perfect but very good. There are many with well over 100K Smiles (BMW do not have miles, the have Smiles) I will get another when my current one wears out.

Rod

Maybe one day I will get a GS. I still really like the looks, styling and huge road presence of the new GS but they are still a bit out of my reach.
For me, The upfront price was just a little too high and my research showed a considerably higher cost of ownership than the Super tenere, with no real advantages (for me, YMMV) over the cheaper Yamaha either.

I now have over 250 miles on my Super tenere and I am loving it! I have already installed several accessories and it keeps getting better. I will post another picture of it soon.

It is the standard model. I adjusted my suspension with a wrench and flat head screw driver in about 2 minutes
wink.gif
I'm not sure why anyone would bother paying extra for the electronic adjustments.

Now the skyhook active electronic suspension the Ducati multistrada has, that might be worth paying extra for!

Simplicity does have it's advantages.

I have to say that so far I'm impressed with the DDC suspension on my '15 S1000RR. Although that also means there's more that can potentially go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back