Can qualify SP test results be made public?

Here is results of testing from a past sales advertisement for Amsoil. Testing now has a new standard. Is there any way to compare actual results like this?

By the way, do not use these results to choose an oil. Tests were done Feb. 2013

Last edited:
Here is results of testing from a past sales advertisement for Amsoil. Testing now has a new standard. Is there any way to compare actual results like this?

By the way, do not use these results to choose an oil. Tests were done Feb. 2013
First red flag there is that the 4-ball wear test isn't used to validate engine oils. It is used to test additives in formulations as a screening tool, but the two versions of the testing protocol are designed for gear oils and greases; to test EP additive effectiveness, conditions which don't exist inside an internal combustion engine.

What you see on that page is not the series of sequences for getting the API approval.

You can get the list of what sequences are used for the API approvals in this document:

First red flag there is that the 4-ball wear test isn't used to validate engine oils. It is used to test additives in formulations as a screening tool, but the two versions of the testing protocol are designed for gear oils and greases; to test EP additive effectiveness, conditions which don't exist inside an internal combustion engine.

What you see on that page is not the series of sequences for getting the API approval.

You can get the list of what sequences are used for the API approvals in this document:
Thanks…

Gr8 info!

Thanks… I was going for any info on the test “results” that I can compare the oils without just a SP API approval.

One way to pick an oil that’s better than API SP is to pick one with VW 504 00 approval.
Thanks for your comment. VW 504/507 came out quite a while back. When I think of VW 504 I think of 5w-30…

Thanks for your comment. VW 504/507 came out quite a while back. When I think of VW 504 I think of 5w-30…

Time release point is not the concern....

The VW 504/507 from 2015 is a tougher specification to hit.... Well harder than API SP.

Dexos gen 1 came out 2011.... Still better spec than API SP.

Attachments

• chart (3).jpeg
    chart (3).jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 28
Time release point is not the concern....

The VW 504/507 from 2015 is a tougher specification to hit.... Well harder than API SP.

Dexos gen 1 came out 2011.... Still better spec than API SP.
Here is API SN to SP

Notice your spider has 7 levels to reach and if the scale is the same 2 makes it to 10

SP has 15 levels to reach and 4 are over than 10 on the scale.

But I have heard that same thing… However they were applying that stuff to SN, not SP. Notice they say 2015. VW 504 works for Europe and they have different requirements, like long OCI.

You see It is what you read from your source. Personally I would not trust your source…

Last edited:
Still tougher standards man....

By the way that graphic was API SP and VW 504. In comparison to each other.

Way tougher.

Noack like less than 10 percent....

Vs say 15 percent for API SP....

Wear standards tougher too...

Deposit standard tougher too.

It's not contest.

VW 504 or Porsche C30 is way, way tougher than API SP.

And it don't matter if those standards were from 2015 or whatever.

2021 API SP is not a high bar to meet.

Honestly…. Does not matter to me. Just giving you my honest response. When I saw 2015 SP…. well.

Not trying to give you a hard time...

Just stating the obvious...

Watch the the Porsche a40 testing video. That's an amazing test they put that oil through.

Then look up the test specs for Porsche a40.

Then look up API SP specs.... A 10w40 API SP vs a 0w40 Porsche a40 approved oil.

It's not close.

Not trust Lubrizol....

Seriously.

I think they know that VW 504 or Porsche C30 is way the hell harder to meet.... Than API SP.

Still tougher standards man....

By the way that graphic was API SP and VW 504. In comparison to each other.

Way tougher.

Noack like less than 10 percent....

Vs say 15 percent for API SP....

Wear standards tougher too...

Deposit standard tougher too.

It's not contest.

VW 504 or Porsche C30 is way, way tougher than API SP.

And it don't matter if those standards were from 2015 or whatever.

2021 API SP is not a high bar to meet.
So for 30 weight oil, API SP is less tough than VW 504/Porsche C30
For 20 weight oil, API SP is less tough than VW 508/Porsche C20 ?
How about Acura HT-06 for 30 weight and RBSO-2AE for 20 weight ? Any particular characteristic need to be paid attention before just use Porsche standard ?

Ummmm yeah...

Look up the test specs on those....

Afton has a great handbook you can download....

Read up on those test requirements.

It's quite interesting the difference between API SP and Dexos gen 1 and gen 2 and VW and Porsche C30....

True indeed ^^^^^^^

Not totally typical.

Grant that for sure.

However....

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is getting rather easy to find.

AZ has it for a relatively decent price... $32.97 I think.

Back