Can oil grade impact cam phasing?

UOA's and common sense tell me what I need to make the rational decision to extend engine life. Oil that is thinned below grade at 2500 miles with the oil life monitor indicating 50% oil life remaining tells me that if I want a long life for my engine, Honda's algorithm doesn't work for everyone.
I would gather that the vast majority of Honda 1.5LT engines aren't doing what you do. I am sure that most "attempt" to adhere to the manufacturer's recommendations but more than likely go beyond the recommended OCI. Are their engines wearing prematurely? All I am asking for is some empirical data. Remember, your feelings and emotions don't count and the engine does not care.

Who cares about empirical data (which you'll never be able to achieve anyway) when basic tribology says going too thin can cause increased wear. Why live on the edge when more headroom is easily achieved by going up a grade in viscosity, especially if the already thin specified oil (for CAFE purposes) goes out of grade (from fuel dilution and/or shearing) way before the end of the specified OCI.

Who cares about empirical data (which you'll never be able to achieve anyway) when basic tribology says going too thin can cause increased wear. Why live on the edge when more headroom is easily achieved by going up a grade in viscosity, especially if the already thin specified oil (for CAFE purposes) goes out of grade (from fuel dilution and/or shearing) way before the end of the specified OCI.
Yes that's what I'm thinking. I have a feeling my new Mazda is going to be seeing some oils that are thicker than the 0W-20. But tomorrow I will have burned up one month of my warranty!

Plus we don't actually have empirical data, what we have is anecdotes and testimonials. A huge difference.
Exactly. My girlfriend has a 2019 Sante Fe and I put 5W-20 as the manufacturer recommends, I am quite sure that the engine will outlast the body of the vehicle.

Best 'oil' for cam phasers (and solenoids) is your oil filter.
I frequently see plenty of debris on Mini/BMW solenoids
when browsing forums.
Decent solubility (group 5?) and appropriate OCI probably
help too.

Back