Can I use VW 508 spec in a car that specs D1G2 and vis-à-versa?

I have a 2020 Equinox 1.5t and 2019 Jetta 1.4t, it would be nice to just get 1oil for both.

They are different specs. Can you, yes. Should you, I wouldn't. Especially if you want to hold onto your warranty.

Look at the specs in the Lubrizol tool although I'm not sure these are up to date. This is Dexos 1, Dexos 2 and VW508. It looks like VW508 covers more than either Dexos if I am interpreting the chart correctly. But if warranty is a concern, just keep both oil specs on the shelf.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-23 085439.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-23 085439.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 51
So I can probably use dexos in the vw
I would say so, but I don't understand the need to use the same oil in both cars. Are you buying a drum of bulk 0w20?

You don't want to loose your VW warranty, and that 508 00 oil has tracers in it. If you have an engine failure and you have Ilsac gf6 in there you will be footing the repair bill.

You bought a VW that has the Long 6 year / 72K miles bumber-to-bumper warranty?
Don't risk that. They don't even offer that anymore. Must have been costly.

I had one of those for 2 year lease. Decent car but with some major suspension issues

That engine would actually like a 5W30 synthetic oil to live. It evidences bearing knock with the VW 508 00 oil when hot

I topped mine off with 0W40 FS - a bit of that in the mix ( 1/2 litre ) fixed the hot mechanical knocking.

I had a stick, the 6M.

Did you have your rear springs replaced on that rudimentary twist beam axle under RECALL? That messed up my handing even more.

- Ken

Look at the specs in the Lubrizol tool although I'm not sure these are up to date. This is Dexos 1, Dexos 2 and VW508. It looks like VW508 covers more than either Dexos if I am interpreting the chart correctly. But if warranty is a concern, just keep both oil specs on the shelf.
I like those charts but you cannot use them as a comparison tool across specifications.
So Forget what you just saw there. Plus those are minimum target requirements, most premium "Synthetic" ILSAC oils trounce wear and deposit formation requirements by a significant amount.

Me, I worry about piston deposits and hot stuck rings.

Bottom right corner. Read the instructions. The chart is not intended to compare Dexos oil to VW specs.

Bottom right corner. Read the instructions. The chart is not intended to compare Dexos oil to VW specs.
I saw the disclaimer in the chart, but doesn't the chart still illustrate the VW508 spec is more robust than Dexos1? Sorry if this chart is a controversial reference, just thougt it would show which spec was superior. (y)

As mentioned previously, for warranty reasons I would suggest getting both oils that meet the required specs.

I saw the disclaimer in the chart, but doesn't the chart still illustrate the VW508 spec is more robust than Dexos1? Sorry if this chart is a controversial reference, just thougt it would show which spec was superior. (y)

As mentioned previously, for warranty reasons I would suggest getting both oils that meet the required specs.
No It doesn't. The Ordinate value range may change between spec.

Now if it was dexos 1 Gen I vs. dexos 1 Gen II it would be applicable and valid.

Don't worry, we have all been through this "learning curve" with the Lubrizol charts :)

Back