Can I use older oil?

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0L 6 cylinder engine. I have been using Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W-30 oil in it. It takes 6 quarts. I was wondering if I can safely use oil which is in an open container I have with the date code K191233 20:03 on it? If so I can buy 5 quarts and combine it.

Also, would it be safe (or better) to use your full synthetic Edge High Mileage product? Can I combine these 2 (5 quarts of the Edge and 1 quart of the GTX)?

The Jeep has about 120K miles on it.

Thanks!

1030OIL.jpg

Hello and Welcome!
In summary, yes- that is perfectly fine. When you say open, I presume you mean capped, but previously unsealed.
As far as buying separate quarts and combining them, that too is fine.
Some members here do so deliberately to either use up their supplies, or to make what is called a frankenbrew.
More knowledgeable members will chime in, but use what you have in confidence.

I used to run Rotella 5W-40 in my 4.0, it was great (for me).. Engine made it to 300k before the cam wore down to nothing..

I have no idea about your oil situation, but if it were me I'd just use it.. Wouldn't even be concerned.. You could pour a sample and the oil has a normal consistency throughout, maybe on a white paper towel.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

SN can be used in your Jeep with no problem :)

It is safe to combine oils from your stash. Use the oldest oil first.

Hello and Welcome!
In summary, yes- that is perfectly fine. When you say open, I presume you mean capped, but previously unsealed.
As far as buying separate quarts and combining them, that too is fine.
Some members here do so deliberately to either use up their supplies, or to make what is called a frankenbrew.
More knowledgeable members will chime in, but use what you have in confidence.
I'm a frankenbrew guy and I have 311,000 on my Tacoma. Roll with confidence my friend. Long as you have the specs on both sides of the mixture.

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0L 6 cylinder engine. I have been using Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W-30 oil in it. It takes 6 quarts. I was wondering if I can safely use oil which is in an open container I have with the date code K191233 20:03 on it? If so I can buy 5 quarts and combine it.

Also, would it be safe (or better) to use your full synthetic Edge High Mileage product? Can I combine these 2 (5 quarts of the Edge and 1 quart of the GTX)?

Thanks!

View attachment 96703
Oh course you can

Thanks!

View attachment 96703
I have had 3 4.0l jeeps in my life, all approaching 300k miles own 2 now, and they have had diets of whatever off the shelf and was on sale and API starburst approved, castrol, valvoline, supertech, mobil, napa............just keep it changed and it will not matter.

I would not say that the oil is old, but if it was "open" without a cap, who knows what kind of dust or bugs or whatever has fell in there..............assuming that the cap was on but opened from original sealing, use it, but if without cap on the shelf in the shop, I would not use in the engine.

You can never use oil that is older than 37 1/2 months old. Even if it is was in the ground for millions of years.

Don't be afraid to put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in with your motor oil. Lubes the upper crankcase very nicely. I have 320,000 miles in my truck, so it won't hurt anything.

Back