Can i use motorcycle oil in my small tecumseh, Honda, and kohler engine?

I just sold a Honda 250 that took 10-40 Dino m c oil, Castrol I think. My 3 garden engines takes 10-30. Is the 10-40 m c oil going to cause any problems?
I use synthetic in my other bike so I have no need for it.
I'm guessing small engines are more forgiving than our sophisticated car engines.

A 10w40 dino is not the most ideal oil for a small engine, but with the modern oils I am sure it will be fine. Might check for oil consumption, but should be fine. Most modern oils are semi synthetic anyway. Briggs used to say that use of a multigrade would cause oil use, but now they recommend 5w30 synthetic as the best.

I have been using 15/40 wet conventional oil in my mowers for over 25 years. They both run perfect with no oil consumption. I may only get 35 years out of them, mainly due to body parts rusting thru. But if you think synthetic oil will will give you extended life in ope, check back in 30 years and give us an update.,,,,

10w40 4t motorcycle oil is not going to cause any problems at all as long as you keep everything topped off and change it on a reasonable schedule.

As mentioned above, 10W-40 motorcycle oil will be just fine in air cooled engines. Motorcycle oils are engineered to be shear resistant and temp tolerant (good HTHS)

All good things for small air cooled engines.

My kohler gets the most use about 60 to 70 hrs a year, in lawn tractor. I change it after about 30 hours , half season, and check in between. The 2 tecumsehs and 2 honda engines get used at most 12 to 20 hours a year, change once a year. Always check and top off if needed. None of my machines use any oil.

Yeah … it should be ok …
I have two jugs of leftover 25W40 from a boat I no longer have … it would be easy to say boats run cooler but betting it’s really a 40 mono …

Yeah … it should be ok …
I have two jugs of leftover 25W40 from a boat I no longer have … it would be easy to say boats run cooler but betting it’s really a 40 mono …
Interesting thanks!

The owners manual for my 17 year old Tecumseh snow blower and also my two year old Honda mower both state "do not use 10w40". For whatever reason. I can understand not using a 10w40 in typical snow blower use temps. Both stipulate 10w30, with the option for 5w30 on the blower. I think that it's likely that the Honda branded 10w30 oil probably has more anti-wear additives than the same in weight in car oil. I would just use it for top off oil in your current bike, unless it's a hard ridden real sport bike.

Sadly, I've been mowing grass and removing snow for 60 years. I have used much 10w40 and straight 30w oil in long term beater lawnmowers in years past. Most were bottom of the line hardware store or Sears models. Almost all old school flathead Briggs.

I just sold a Honda 250 that took 10-40 Dino m c oil, Castrol I think. My 3 garden engines takes 10-30. Is the 10-40 m c oil going to cause any problems?
I use synthetic in my other bike so I have no need for it.
I'm guessing small engines are more forgiving than our sophisticated car engines.
It will work fine.

When i change most mowers or generators or snowblowers the thing i look for most is that the oil is within reach. If its not some crazy weight it all seems to work fine.

For the past 25 years have been running 15W-40 5W-40 0r 0W-40 as that is what I have left over from the vehicles I own those viscosities work well. OPE engines are low out put and low pressure so they don't take much in an oil. They can run hot so frequent oil changes can't hurt and with out oil filters changing the oil is good especially for the higher cost equipment.

Last edited:
Back