Can I use any CK-4/SN instead of VW 502/504?

Hi there, im from Mexico and here the VW 502 oil prices are just crazy and I change the oil every 2-3 months or less, I make like 2500 miles every month but the prices in this economy is making using the VW 502 so expensive.

My car is a VW Golf with the 2.0 TFSI (EA888 gen 2)

I´ve seen that CK-4 requires 3.5 HTHS minimum, low NOACK and that the additive package is generally robust...

So, can any CK-4/SN do the job to protect my engine the same as the original oil? I don´t mind if the lifespan of the oil is little bit shorter (I never go past 7500 miles OCI anyway)

My friend's in Mexico w/ VW products have been buying the Kirkland synthetic oil at Costco.

I am not sure why the oil is expensive, is it government taxes but who knows. Compared to the US prices are double in most cases.

Hi there, im from Mexico and here the VW 502 oil prices are just crazy and I change the oil every 2-3 months or less, I make like 2500 miles every month but the prices in this economy is making using the VW 502 so expensive.

I´ve seen that CK-4 requires 3.5 HTHS minimum, low NOACK and that the additive package is generally robust...

So, can any CK-4/SN do the job to protect my engine the same as the original oil? I don´t mind if the lifespan of the oil is little bit shorter (I never go past 7500 miles OCI anyway)

Sure, but double check your math on the newer shorter interval. What interval does VW recommend in Mexico? 2,500 miles/month. Is that mostly highway? If so, I would go the full OCI that VW recommends.

You will be OK with using a CK-4 Oil and you correct about the minimum HTHS Number of 3.5 but realize that the NOACK Number will probably be better with a Euro Oil. There are a few CK-4 Oil's out there that have good NOACK Numbers. There are also a few other CK-4 Oil's that do not have good NOACK Numbers.

Back