Can I use 0w40?

Would not a 5w-40 achieve the same results with a bit less Vll needed? Or is the 5w-40 a "lesser quality" oil?

I was actually looking for a good 5W-40 for the 3.3L in the Santa Fe. If you can recommend something that is actually better than M1 / Castrol 0W-40 I would give it a try :)

Can I switch to a 0w40 A3B4 oil like Mobil1 FS 0w40, from using a syn 5w30 like Mobil 1 in all my engines? After reading this thread it seems like (somewhat?) reasonable question.

I now use the 0w40 in my 2019 MB GLC300. My reason to switch is ONLY to stock only one viscosity in my garage. Equal cost at AAP.
Other engines:
1996 Toyota Camry Camry 5S-FE
2007 Honda Civic SI K20Z3
2018 Cummins whole house natural gas generator
2004 Ariens snow thrower with Tecumseh L (not OHV)
2019 Honda walk behind mower
1999 (for y2k) Powermate 5KW generator with B&S Vanguard OHV engine

Thanks

Exactly how is this so? They have same approvals..
Simply looking at data.
Debated here a lot. You can look for it.
While oils can have same approvals, approvals set up minimum requirements, not maximum. That means that among oils approved for same specifications, you will have those that meet bare minimum (Edge 5W40) or those that go further (M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 for example).

How? If their "EDGE" is on the edge of what they can offer?

I would always choose 5Wxy over 0Wxy....unless I would live somewhere in Alaska (or similar)...

Less VI...less chemistry...more stabe...stay in grade...etc

I would always choose 5Wxy over 0Wxy....unless I would live somewhere in Alaska (or similar)...

Higher Noack: 11% compared to 9.1%
Higher KV100 but same HTHS (3.7).
Viscosity Index 0W40: 181
Viscosity Index 5W40: 187.

No, 5W40 is not on the Edge of what they can offer.

A quality 5W -30 would work but the 0w-40 is a great oil. Give it a try.

In this case, far cheaper base oil selection, more volatile, as edyvw noted...etc.

A quality 5W -30 would work but the 0w-40 is a great oil. Give it a try.
In this case, far cheaper base oil selection, more volatile, as edyvw noted...etc.
Yep. 5W40 is 100% HC oil. Considering that pour point of 0W40 is -60, it is probably right at 50% PAO.
Though -45 pour point in 5W40 is testament of quality HC base.

Higher Noack: 11% compared to 9.1%
Higher KV100 but same HTHS (3.7).
Viscosity Index 0W40: 181
Viscosity Index 5W40: 187.

No, 5W40 is not on the Edge of what they can offer.
I just looked at 5w40 on Castrol website. It doesn't show noack or HTHS. So where did you find your figures?

I was searching for answers the other day and came across this thread., it convinced me.

Back