Can I take motor oil on a commercial airliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Already stated, but to make it simple: You cannot carry it on.

Hazardous materials
Articles listed in the Department of Transportation's Hazardous Material Regulations and/or the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations are restricted. These will only be accepted subject to advance arrangements and compliance with regulations.

For safety reasons, dangerous goods may not be packed in checked or carry-on baggage or taken on board with you...

Add cupcakes to the list. The latest TSA incident....

Cupcake Deemed 'Security Threat' Confiscated by TSA at Las Vegas Airport.
Rebecca Hains was stopped by a TSA "officer" who "pulled her aside and said the cupcake frosting was 'gel-like' enough to constitute a security risk." (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/30062442/detail.html)

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Why is the world would you screw around bring motor oil back on an airplane. I know this is BITOG but this is a new extreme.

Agreed. It's just oil-I'm sure Canada has oil that is just as good.

Packing it up in luggage on an airplane is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've seen in a very long time.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Consider how the used oil you send to Blackstone Labs get sent....

Sure-a very small quantity in a double container in the back of a semi that moves it from mail center to mail center.

Or, with UPS it moves on UPS trucks from hub to hub unless you specify next day air (which most people don't).

How does traveling on a semi truck equate with being in checked luggage on board a passenger aircraft?

Originally Posted By: Patman
None of the ones I checked in Mississauga or Brampton had it left, and even if they did, it would be old SM formula and I would want the SN stuff.

If you're set on getting Ultra and it turns out you cannot bring it back to Canada with you on the plane, try NAPA. They are advertising it in their current catalog. Pricing wasn't listed, however.

While I was on my trip I managed to get out to one Walmart to look for Ultra but they only had a couple of jugs of 10w30 (I want 5w30) and it was old SM stock. So my decision was made for me anyhow, no oil on this trip. I did pick up a Fram XG filter for the Corvette though
smile.gif

PS-St Pete Beach and Clearwater are both amazing! My girlfriend and I will definitely be returning to this area a lot! In fact, we are already talking about the possibility of purchasing a nice little house here so we can spend the winters there when we retire! (in 20 years mind you)
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back