Can display show engine hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Saw a post here recently that suggested that some cars support being able to have the dash display show total engine hours. I thought this might be interesting to see if the ODBII was logging this and could be prompted by some trick of turning the lights on and off 7.314 times in 20 seconds or some other sequence of voodoo and have it show on the dash.

Anyone here know what would be a good start for say Nissan's ? or Ford?

Thanks,
Ken

I think engine run time is a standard parameter ID whether it displays on the multi-function readout on the dash or not. On my Hyundai it shows total run hours along with the other ODBII parameter IDs like average speed, engine RPM, etc. ...so I'd assume it would be up to the manufacturers programming what's available and/or tweakable.

All my multi-function display offers is switching to the next item on the display and not so much pushing the button 7 times fast and 2 time slow to get how many times you've eaten in the car...so I'd assume that most are similar.

Very common on cars that are sold with a police package option and heavy duty trucks/equipment.

Others not so much. But with more and more cars getting software/computers that are shared between platforms the reading may be in most just not out-feed.

All depends on the vehicle and manufacture if they support that option.

We have a '07 2500HD that shows engine hours so GM has been doing it at least since then.

You can read run time and idle time hours on Ram pickups as a standard feature. As far as being able to push a series of buttons or cycle the ignition and read it on most OBDII compliant vehicles, I doubt you could unless you can plug into the diagnostic port and have the appropriate reader.

My 2018 Corvette shows the engine hours but my 2005 Corvette did not, it was a feature they added in 2014 with the newest generation.

Ford police models (taurus,explorer,fusion) have this enabled. I have enabled this on the non police models from 2013 on by using the IDS scanner. You maybe able to enable this with a Forscan scanner, but you would either have to change the values in hex or create a custom PID.

The Ford police models show engine hours and idling hours.

Last edited:
My 2005 Chevy 5.3 has an engine hour meter but you have to toggle through the menu on the steering wheel to see it. It maxes out at 9,999.

I just recently discovered that my 2001 Silverado shows hours. With no key or the key off, you can check mileage by holding the odometer button. I accidentally held it longer than usual, and it displayed hours.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Don't feel bad if the answer is no. I have it in mine and although I'd have to check it , it probably says my 180,000 miles divided by the hrs is 45 mph. Great!

I'm back with the real numbers as shown. Idling hrs are not broken out. " Avg speed " is 56.4 km/hr (33.3 mph) but this is ignoring idling hrs for which I have no data. The first 8 years were in the city. The last 3 were in the country. Enjoy.
smile.gif

D61FDA20-5EB8-4187-B5E5-98111F8D5793.jpeg

9F18A568-5EE0-4BA6-81CA-97830CD5B5F5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back