Can D4 be mixed with Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I do a "drain and fill" with Redline D4 in my Ford AODE trans? I am currently running Havoline Mercon V. Is D4 compatible with all Merc V fluids? Will I see any benefits by replacing ~1/2 of my fluid with D4, or would this be a waste of money.

A complete flush will not be an option, so please do not suggest it!
wink.gif

If your trans say use Mercon V only, then I'd stick to that. To this date, there haven't been any really good suitable replacement for Mercon V.

Some people have to learn the hard way, Schmoe. DaimlerChrysler trannies are pretty particular, too. And, unlike Mercon V, ATF+4 is only available through DaimlerChrysler dealers at prices around $8.00/qt.

That is what I am going to do. Get as much out as possible then refill with D4.. I wouldnt worry about it.

I dont know of anyone who's tried RL D4 on an AT spec'd for Mercon V yet, but I bet it will do just fine mixed 50/50 with a dump & fill. Worst case scenario, you'll have to dump a good batch of RL & go back to straight Mercon V if it bangs thru the gears too hard or goes the other way & slips or shudders
frown.gif
. Any reason why you want to switch? Merc V is supposed to be pretty hardy stuff.
G/luck
Joel

I'll just stick with Mercon V.

By the way... my trans is not orignally spec'd for "V", but Ford issued a TSB recommending it be used in some of the older models, including mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back