Camry oil change choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I will start off by stating the overwhelmingly obvious point that any of my choices are big overkill for a 98 Toyota Camry.

I have on hand Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30, and Belgian Castrol 0w30 which has been on hold for my Altima 3.5 SE.

I have been running Motorcraft 5w30 in the Camry for awhile now and I've been very pleased with it. The motor tick in this car was greatly reduced when I changed over to the Motorcraft. I want to try out another oil to see if I can find one that would be good too. I am leaning towards the Castrol Magnatec 5w30...

Again, I'm well aware that all of the possible choices are vastly superior to the spec'd API SJ that is in the manual. It's like going mosquito hunting with a 10 gauge shotgun
smile.gif
I am just curious as to what you all think and would run.

Try the Magnatec. It won't be the full syn variant, but it should serve just fine in Virginia winter.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have on hand Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30,

I have been running Motorcraft 5w30 in the Camry for awhile now and I've been very pleased with it.

All fine choices. Go with the Magnatec since it comes first in your list and you can compare it to the MC. It's kind of fun trying different varieties.

I'm running MC in the Matrix and have for quite some time. I'm happy with it but might try something else to compare.

I don't think Camry is picky with oil.
I have owned and maintained a few for friends and they are stout engine.
Heck, my friend was not good in maintenance so sometimes the oil is relatively low (like 2 quarts low) and it is still running without issue.
Most of them get totaled before even running it to the ground so we will never know.

I am not sure why it is ticking, check the bolt that hold the timing belt pulley, sometimes it is broken and it is under the cover and unseen.

Ohh I agree with you about that. This car isn't needing a high performance product by any means. I just have extra oil on hand and I'm feeling kind of lazy about having to go to Wally world for the Motorcraft. I would just rather use what I have on hand already.

Tell you the truth the tick isn't bad at all. I believe it's just a normal aspect of the car operating. I will say the Motorcraft did help quiet it down a good bit though.

I do like the Castrol Magnatec. Funny thing is I bought it originally for my Altima 3.5 SE. But given everything I'm rolling with trying it out on the lady's Camry.

Yes, just use whatever is in your oil stash.

Another thing about ticking, I think most Toyota (at least the one I have had) have that slight tick on idle.
I consider that normal. Even my current Sienna have them.

Use whatever you do not want to use in other vehicles. That engine is not fussy about oil. And they are all good oils

The 2.2L is a noisy engine. They all sound noisy (I've had 2 of them). I vote Magnatec too. I've run Chevron Supreme HM, Pennzoil HM, Pennzoil Platinum HM, and now Mobil 1 EP. All 5w30 except 10w30 Mobil 1. I think it runs the same on all of them, I have no complaints. I might use my Mobil 1 0w30 for our chilly winters
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well I will start off by stating the overwhelmingly obvious point that any of my choices are big overkill for a 98 Toyota Camry.

I have on hand Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30, and Belgian Castrol 0w30 which has been on hold for my Altima 3.5 SE.

I have been running Motorcraft 5w30 in the Camry for awhile now and I've been very pleased with it. The motor tick in this car was greatly reduced when I changed over to the Motorcraft. I want to try out another oil to see if I can find one that would be good too. I am leaning towards the Castrol Magnatec 5w30...

Again, I'm well aware that all of the possible choices are vastly superior to the spec'd API SJ that is in the manual. It's like going mosquito hunting with a 10 gauge shotgun
smile.gif
I am just curious as to what you all think and would run.

Hey bbhero - The OEM requires an API rated 5W-30 SL rated oil for this Toyota gasoline engine. Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 far exceeds this specification, meeting higher performance specifications for today’s engines. Hope this info helps! - The Quaker State Team

Well I got some Kendall semi synthetic GT-1 at a truck stop of all places. 3 quarts of this and a little of the Motorcraft 3/8 of a qt and it will be done. Both are obviously made by Conoco Phillips so it will be all good. Ohh and the Magnatec will go in my Altima coming up later this fall.

Yeah me too... I am looking forward to running it this fall... I've got two more runs of Havoline Pro DS left before I even get there
smile.gif

I really like the Havoline Pro DS in the Altima. Runs as good as Castrol gold bottle. I hope you are doing good son aka Car51. Always great to see you on here.

And SR5 I hope you are doing good as well. I always enjoy reading your posts and I'm very glad that you are on here.

Last edited:
Yeah man no doubt.. she takes over my pillow and hogs it. Or she will lay down along myeg and I have to move around her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back