Camper Damaged at Storage Facility

Why would it need to be licensed if it's being stored? The last time I inquired about storing at car at one of these places (20 some years ago before buying a property) they all required them to be registered and tagged. Why? If I had it registered I could just park it on the street at my house and I wouldn't NEED a storage place.

Most municipalities frown on that kind of thing. Anything that doesn’t move in 72 hours in my neck of the woods gets a violation. After a certain amount of time it’s towed away.

Even all the RVs around here with people living in them have to be moved.

They don’t want to end up like LA with broken down dilapidated campers and RV littering the streets.

Most municipalities frown on that kind of thing. Anything that doesn’t move in 72 hours in my neck of the woods gets a violation. After a certain amount of time it’s towed away.

Even all the RVs around here with people living in them have to be moved.
OK but why you need tags inside a storage place off the street?

Most storage places here in MI have a clause that your vehicle/trailer has to HAVE proper tags.

MI has permanent plates for trailers.

Yes, my little town will ticket you after 3 days if you leave a trailer unattached.
But attached to your truck it is considered part of the truck? different rules I guess.

One reason for requiring valid registration is that is one way to prove that you actually own and/or have the rights to store whatever it is on the lot. The owners of these facilities typically will keep the registration information on hand in the event the rightful owner / lien holder / etc comes looking for it. It also defends the facility against claims of harboring stolen items.

Another reason is the same as identified above - typically to keep the place from becoming a junkyard of old, non-registered junk.

Why would it need to be licensed if it's being stored? The last time I inquired about storing at car at one of these places (20 some years ago before buying a property) they all required them to be registered and tagged. Why? If I had it registered I could just park it on the street at my house and I wouldn't NEED a storage place.
The license plate would be a direct link to the owner, especially if the facility is unable/ unwilling to help.

I can’t speak for the tagging part, but it isn’t unreasonable for the unit you looked into to require a copy of the title of whatever you store. Around here, tagging isn’t required. Maybe it’s a state by state thing?

One reason for requiring valid registration is that is one way to prove that you actually own and/or have the rights to store whatever it is on the lot. The owners of these facilities typically will keep the registration information on hand in the event the rightful owner / lien holder / etc comes looking for it. It also defends the facility against claims of harboring stolen items.

Another reason is the same as identified above - typically to keep the place from becoming a junkyard of old, non-registered junk.
Showing the title would accomplish that just as well, besides what does the storage place care? Do they check who owns every appliance or piece of furniture someone stores there? And maybe you just bought the camper and haven't titled it yet or can't register it because it hasn't been inspected. As for becoming a junkyard of old, non-registered junk, as long as they pay every month, isn't that exactly what a storage facility is for?

Showing the title would accomplish that just as well, besides what does the storage place care? Do they check who owns every appliance or piece of furniture someone stores there? And maybe you just bought the camper and haven't titled it yet or can't register it because it hasn't been inspected. As for becoming a junkyard of old, non-registered junk, as long as they pay every month, isn't that exactly what a storage facility is for?

Yes. A title accomplished the same thing. Dad put a 240z parts car into a unit. No plates. It runs but doesn’t drive.

Not a fan of the yearly registration/ back registration. I feel it’s the state overstepping their bounds. It’s my property. I should be able to do what I want as long as it’s environmentally safe and/ or safe for others. Ie I can’t make a Tony Stark nuclear reactor in my basement.

Some places may accept a title, others will not. Registration is more current - as an example, in MN, our titles are not changed when you change addresses, but the registration does. If you show me a 20 year old title, should I assume that everything on it is current? (Yes, I recognize it is the legal document for ownership, but there is nothing tying it down to current circumstances and matching it to current ID - which is the concern for the storage place - where can they find you when you don't pay the bills or something happens...

Do you get a title on your major appliances? Where the line has been drawn that titles are required is a legal element, not just a it costs a lot argument.

As far as not wanting a place to look junky, there is a big difference between indoor and outdoor storage. Just like anyplace that decides on what they want their facility to look like, there are plenty that don't want cousin eddie's RV in their facility parked outside. Appearances do matter, and enforcing registration and insurance requirements is one way of making sure it doesn't become an issue. If its inside, a lot of this goes away.

And, at the end of the day, its someone else's place of business. Their rules, their insurance (though typically not on your contents), etc... Don't like it? Go elsewhere or lease or buy your own property or building. The rules most outdoor storage facilities here have are very much in line with City requirements for outdoor storage (which includes being operable and registered).

where can they find you when you don't pay the bills or something happens...

And, at the end of the day, its someone else's place of business. Their rules, their insurance (though typically not on your contents), etc... Don't like it? Go elsewhere or lease or buy your own property or building. The rules most outdoor storage facilities here have are very much in line with City requirements for outdoor storage (which includes being operable and registered).
Have you seen the show https://www.aetv.com/shows/storage-wars If you don't pay, they auction it off, which is certainly more than what a month or two of rent is worth, for even more profit.

And that is exactly what I did when I bought my own building.

I've stored many cars and trailers and have never been asked for registration or title. Perhaps it's because this is my storage unit, but my guess is my storage place does not care.
MVIMG_20190701_182645.jpg

Called the owner, he was an azzzh&^%$, he did not see the point of calling the police and asked me to call my insurance. Also, when I pointed out the lack of space between the units, he promptly asked me if I wanted to move, what the...

I am not sure if the little town the unit is in, will even send an officer out for little stuff like this, or if I have to take my report down to the PD. arrh.

Back