Kids these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about 2 miles away from home, on a main road this afternoon, and past an intersection where there was shattered glass everywhere. I thought it must have been quite a major accident, but found it strange that is was just glass and no place/metal parts anywhere.

I was approaching my exit, and made a lane change into the number 3 lane, where a public bus was in front of me. The bus was about 3 car lengths ahead, and I noticed something spraying out from one of the windows on its right hand side. I couldn't switch lanes, but was able to slow down significantly because there were no cars behind me. Whatever it was hit my car so hard, I got four bullseye chips in my windshield.

A few seconds later, the bus pulled over and so did I. I had so many chips in my bumper, head panel, grille, headlamps and hood it was unbelievable. I also noticed many little, broken glass pieces on my wiper tray. Turned on my hazard flashers and walked towards the bus, only to notice it had a windows out. Turns out two punk kids sitting at the very back, smoking cigarettes, had a bag full of empty glass soda bottles, which they threw at the window and smashed. The glass sprayed all over my car, and explained why there was so much glass at that intersection. Back there, they basically threw a whole bunch of bottles out an open window, but later on thought it was good fun to smash the window instead.

Needless to say, I called the cops to report the incident and my damage. Because greedy insurance companies are not willing to offer comprehensive insurance for vehicles over five years of age, I'm stuck having to pay for my damage...just what I needed. But I'm glad the cop booked those two scumbags in.

I know they can't be charged, considering both were 15, but hopefully riding in the back of a cop car and a few hours in a cell will give them the wake up call they need.
mad.gif

[censored] dude, that is ridiculous.

Also, strange law about the comprehensive insurance on older cars.

I'd contact the police and file a report of your damages because you want the kids' parents to pay for the repairs. When you file the police report, make sure that you tell them that you were the one who called in about the the kids thowing glass from the bus.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
I'd contact the police and file a report of your damages because you want the kids' parents to pay for the repairs. When you file the police report, make sure that you tell them that you were the one who called in about the the kids thowing glass from the bus.

[censored] yeah.

i would sue the insurance provider for the bus. if you have a good company like state farm they will take care of it for you. otherwise i would lawyer up. it might take some time but you shouldnt have to pay for that [censored]

sue the dang parents too!! and the bus driver for not watching the little creeps. if someone can get a million dollars for hot coffee spilling on them you should be able to get your car repaired

I was always led to believe that Kuwait had a rather strict sharia style law.

Maybe these kids will get the same public caning that American kid in Singapore got for vandalizing cars.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

I know they can't be charged, considering both were 15, but hopefully riding in the back of a cop car and a few hours in a cell will give them the wake up call they need.
mad.gif

I am afraid that is probably not going to happen..They will most likely be in the back of alot more police cruisers and in alot more jail cells..I am sure this is not the first time they did something like this..By the time they are 21 they will probably have a 20 page history with law enforcement and will have moved up to much more violent things.

I can only imagine how they treat their parents,teachers,pets plus everyone else they come in contact with.

Originally Posted By: dparm
[censored] dude, that is ridiculous.

Also, strange law about the comprehensive insurance on older cars.

Yes, it's pretty stupid. But with the driving record of the country as a whole, I suppose I see where they are coming from.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Threaten their parents to sue for damages

When the parents were called into the station, I had the option to either forgive, sort things out amongst ourselves or press charges. The way things work here, especially with Ramadan coming up, it would take forever to get even a penny out of them through the legal system. So I opted to sort things out amongst ourselves, i.e. with the parents, hoping it would be a quicker way.

I exchanged phone numbers with the parents, and arranged to meet up yesterday afternoon. When the parents saw the car, they said "nothing was wrong" with it and I was basically making a mountain out of a mole hole for such an old car. That was basically their excuse to pull out.

After some arguing, they said they know a garage who supposedly does a decent job, so we headed out there last night. Based on its location, and considering they were charging ~$100 to paint the bumper, head panel, grille and hood, I knew right off the bat this was going to be a rubbish at best.

As for the windshield, the factory windshield is still on the vehicle and in good nick. Getting it repaired would cost about $65, whilst a new Chinese windshield is $55 with installation. I was not having my OE windshield replaced, especially with a bunch of monkeys using force to carry out the job. So I just got $160 off them instead, because they were not willing to give a penny more.

It isn't fair, and getting just the bumper painted at a decent body shop costs $180-200, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

Having said that, I'm thinking of only getting the windshield repaired so the cracks do not expand. Considering I'm not exactly impressed with the paint job that's on it, and I'm doing a Mercury Marauder conversion which includes a full, quality paint job, I might as well use whatever is left to buy parts. Might as well add another $30 to the $95 that's left and buy a Marauder grille instead.

So far I've got a new '03-'05 GMQ head panel, and Marauder headlights/corner lights are on order. I'll just add the grille to that, and I can order the rear fascia and tail lights next month. Then I'll have the bumpers, fog lamps, black CVPI door handles and door/fender trim left to buy.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS

I had to go down to the station, because I was the one who called up and complained. The parents and I reached an agreement in front of the cops, which didn't exactly work out as planned. Although and the parents were made to sign a conduct of goodwill, on behalf of the kids, promising they would not repeat the same mistake. Blah!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I was always led to believe that Kuwait had a rather strict sharia style law.

Maybe these kids will get the same public caning that American kid in Singapore got for vandalizing cars.
21.gif

True, although (should I say unfortunately?) things like getting heads and hands chopped off is not a practice carried out here, unlike Saudi. Those kids basically got away with it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them repeat it. Three times and they get blacklisted by the law, which will result in them having a criminal record. So things like getting a job, etc. would be more difficult, but I doubt they'd care.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I am afraid that is probably not going to happen..They will most likely be in the back of alot more police cruisers and in alot more jail cells..I am sure this is not the first time they did something like this..By the time they are 21 they will probably have a 20 page history with law enforcement and will have moved up to much more violent things.

I can only imagine how they treat their parents,teachers,pets plus everyone else they come in contact with.

Well said. Maybe we really do need people like Saddam in this world to keep a leash on people like this.

Originally Posted By: sandy_d
I'm surprised too about the lax laws.

How would an adult be treated in this sciario .

It would be a pretty similar scenario I would imagine, considering it was the parents that I dealt with and not the kids themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back