Camcorders going out of use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Was in an electronics store today to buy the wife a waterproof p&s camera.

We were asking about camcorders, thinking we might want one. The shop only stocked three models, and told us that before too long, they would likely carry only one, if any. Reason being that most folks only use phones or cameras to record HD video.

But it got me thinking about the "old days" when my parents would tape concerts, plays, etc on VHS. And though ere was only so much time on a video cassette, they could continuously record for the duration/battery life.

Not sure about the new camera we got for the wife (Olympus tg-3), but my Nikon d800, a high end full frame dslr only records files to 3.5-4GB. Which I understand is only around 20 minutes.

So, I'm curious who uses camcorders vs cameras for recording video. I'm not talking second to minute clips, which I get that cameras are fine for, but rather for longer stuff. Given that 64 and 128GB high speed cards are prevalent, it seems that the issue is file sizes and devices ability to handle them. But maybe I'm missing something here.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
i know the Show "Graveyard Carz" is completely shot on DSLR Cameras.
not professional TV Cameras, Not GoPro's, Not Consumer grade Camcorders, just DSLR's.

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but you missed the point a bit, perhaps I wasn't clear.

TV shows, even movies, paste a million little video clips together. Each scene is shot separate, so it's minutes or less per file.

My point is that the digital file systems are only allowing for around 4GB per file, even on high end DSLRs and on big, fast SDXC cards.

So what if you wanted to record so etching longer than 20ish minutes? What if you wanted to record a child's entire recital or play? What if it's longer than 20 minutes length that the file system allows?

I'm just assuming that camcorders can digitally record continuously... Maybe not...

the 4gb limit is from fat32

quote from random wikipedia article I googled:
Because FAT32 stores 32-bit file sizes and the maximum you can store in 32 bits is 2^32-1 ~= 4.29e9. 2^32-1 bytes = 4GB - 1 byte.

NTFS and other systems dont have this limitation.

Last edited:
I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III... For video, it will take a continuos video as long as you want. However, at 9min and 59sec it will stop recording on one file and automatically start another automatically. If you drag both videos in end to end in a video editing program it is a seamless transition. Quite a nice feature.

So you can technically record up until you use the entire CF card. It just makes a new file per 10min to avoid some legal stuff about cinema and video stuff... Some weird rule that requires DSLR video prohibited from recording over 10min on a single file.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III... For video, it will take a continuos video as long as you want. However, at 9min and 59sec it will stop recording on one file and automatically start another automatically. If you drag both videos in end to end in a video editing program it is a seamless transition. Quite a nice feature.

So you can technically record up until you use the entire CF card. It just makes a new file per 10min to avoid some legal stuff about cinema and video stuff... Some weird rule that requires DSLR video prohibited from recording over 10min on a single file.

Ok that's the practical info I was hoping for.

Because while FAT32 was mentioned above and surely is used for comparability, in this age of 128+GB SD cards (!), one woukd think this could be overcome...

But if they are continuously shoot able, just with multiple files, that solves one of the greater concerns, of the camera stopping mid-recording.

I'd have to test it with my dslr and the wife's new p&s. Of course that's a lot of recording to test!

Yes, they are.

I have a Sony that records on the little digital cassettes that I use for board meetings, depositions, etc.

I have another Sony that records on SD cards, and it may have a time limit, but I don't recall hitting it.

For everyday stuff, I just use a cell phone. Quality is much better with a real camcorder, but for most stuff, it doesn't matter.

Fat32's limitations have been overcome... it's called ExFAT but it really depends if the camera supports it. MacOS and Windows have for quite a while now and external hard drives with MBR partition maps and exfat partitions are quite handy and go between windows and mac easily.

File size limit is 1 pebibyte (that's spelled correctly)

I have a 1992 vintage JVC compact VHS camcorder. Sure would like to sell it, or even give it away to a good home. I replaced the battery a few years ago to loan it to a friend. Now, it just gathers dust in the closet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
30 minutes defeats the purpose...
Please have some mercy on your intended audience! Or are you in the business of selling sleeping aids?

I am sure even if your precious one is going be performing in the school event, there would be a break within that time! At least move the camera angle if nothing else.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
30 minutes defeats the purpose...
Please have some mercy on your intended audience! Or are you in the business of selling sleeping aids?

I am sure even if your precious one is going be performing in the school event, there would be a break within that time! At least move the camera angle if nothing else.

Agreed, even if 30 minutes isn't enough, just take two 30 minute segments and join them in your favorite video editing software.

From the Sony website:
"Continuous shooting is possible for approximately 29 minutes at one time at the product's default settings and when the temperature is approximately 25°C (77°F). When movie recording is finished, you can restart recording by pressing the MOVIE button again. Recording may stop to protect the product depending on the ambient temperature."

Local TV News or Local video "magazine" type TV shows are typically only 30 minutes long in total length.

For web based journalistic publishing, it is even less of an issue. People generally don't want to bother with viewing long video clips online. Going over even 5 minutes can be enough to substantially cut down on the views that a video receives.

It is really only for event type videography where the ability to record a long time continuously has an advantage. Things like panel discussions, long speeches, and presentations can last longer than a half hour. Likewise for the performing arts, if you are recording a play or ballet. Musical programs are not much of any problem, since it is extremely rare for a single work or song to last over 30 minutes.

Recording plays can be especially tricky from a legal standpoint, due to copyright laws. So unless one wants to reimburse the playwright, videoing an entire play is big no-no where I live. However, for journalistic purposes, it is considered fair use to publish a few minutes of a play, especially if there is some voice over offering some sort of commentary or critique about it.

I always found it really amusing that parents will record an entire show or whatever, and then always end up fast forwarding to the parts their kids are in when playing it back anyway

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I always found it really amusing that parents will record an entire show or whatever, and then always end up fast forwarding to the parts their kids are in when playing it back anyway

It's called reaction time, nobody wants to cut off half of the one line their kid has in the play.

I use a canon Vixia HFR100. It's okay ish. Has a bigger lens than most cell phones, so it gets better focus/ shallower depth of field/ better "true zoom." Has facial recognition and smart enough auto focus and iris. Only fault is its form factor, very light, leads to shakiness. I'm nerdy enough to use a tripod though.
wink.gif

Thrifty cheapo me, I use KDENlive on ubuntu to edit.

I don't get it; please explain! Are you bragging that your naughty encounters go on for hours without changing the position (oops, did not mean that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back