Cam phaser noise?

So my 2018 Taurus 3.5L duratec made a funny screeching/tapping noise this mourning at startup. Never done that before. Car only has 18967.7 miles. Oil has always been synthetic RGT 0W20 OR 5W20. Oil has 5773.6 on it. The only thing I can think the noise was either the cam phaser or maybe the starter got hung in the flywheel? Should I change my oil early or see if it does it again? Call Ford?

Yes change the oil and use a different oil to see if the noise disappears. M1 EP 0w20 HM may have cured a start up grind on a 12 Camry. Motorcraft 5w30 syn blend is quiet on start up for an 05 Matrix we used to have. If staying with RGT change at 5k, you prob found its sweet spot. Not the first time there have been reports of extra engine noises while running RGT.

Yes change the oil and use a different oil to see if the noise disappears. M1 EP 0w20 HM may have cured a start up grind on a 12 Camry. Motorcraft 5w30 syn blend is quiet on start up for an 05 Matrix we used to have. If staying with RGT change at 5k, you prob found its sweet spot. Not the first time there have been reports of extra engine noises while running RGT.
Man, I got 28qrts of rgt. Not switching anytime soon. I guess I'll cut my intervals to 5k. I will be doing a oil sample.

So my 2018 Taurus 3.5L duratec made a funny screeching/tapping noise this mourning at startup. Never done that before. Car only has 18967.7 miles. Oil has always been synthetic RGT 0W20 OR 5W20. Oil has 5773.6 on it. The only thing I can think the noise was either the cam phaser or maybe the starter got hung in the flywheel? Should I change my oil early or see if it does it again? Call Ford?
My sister's old 2010 Taurus (bought new by my mother) had a similar noise for a second at startup right around the time we discovered the water pump was bad. It got sold for scrap price to my friend a mechanic and he repaired it. The timing chains were completely worn out, adjusters maxed out. It had over 200k on it though. Hard to imagine this problem at 18k. It never made a peep as far as I know until the timing chains wore out, but by that time it also had a code for cam timing correlation and a hunting idle.

You probably want to document this with a dealer for warranty purposes later down the road, so keep an eye on it and if it happens again, take it right in. They probably won't be able to duplicate the noise (unless you leave it overnight), but at least it's documented.

I doubt very highly that it's the oil you're using, that oil is pretty darn good in my opinion.

Is it in or out of basic warranty? 3yr/36k
If problem is repeatable and in warranty, I would bring it directly to dealer.
Highly doubt its oil quality/viscosity related.

If I documented every weird noise my cars made once, I'd have written a novel by now. (Particularly in -30 F temps, but thats a story for another day).

If the noise repeats itself, and you figure out the conditions it makes the noise, then I'd start to worry about it. A one time deal, not so much.

Use motorcraft oil filter . I use many different oil filter . They always start rattle on my 5.4l 3v . Until I switch back to motorcraft . Hate to admit those engine require FL820s which is having tear isssue . my old 05 expedition use nothing but 5w30 Quaker state high miles and FL820s for last 10 years . Until 2 years ago I cut open fl820s . Saw a hole and tear .

i still use it but for very short oil change . Mostly sat in garage . My 03 cobra still using fl820s for car show purpose . 50 miles a years . Change 1 a years . Even with tear I don’t think it will hurt

my new 2010 F150 Platium having last years of the 5.4l 3v . Mobil 1 oil filter for now

I sure hope it's not oil related. Improperly lubricated, or completely dry parts can squeal. We've all heard the classic "sleeve bearing" of a fan motor or other electric motor squeal when dry. What's actually happening is very interesting, and I'm sorry I've forgotten the engineering term for the phenomenon.

What happens is the shaft walks around the journal, instead of rotating in it.

This happens to car engines too. The crankshaft and camshafts will walk around the bearings if dry. It's one reason that bearings are often coated, to protect against this on an engine's first start up.

Backup_200007_bearing_fig_01.jpg

Back