California Moves To Ban Natural Gas Furnaces / Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had all electric apartment in San Antonio before we had the house built.

The cost to run electric heat was double what it costs to heat my new home with gas. And the new house is 2.5x the square footage of the apartment.
That's because your apartment had the cheapest code-minimum electric furnace. Codes are updated and current code-min is almost always more efficient than the prior code minimum.

I too have done calculations on my three sources of heat, which include a 10 year old heat pump which operates to 27 F at which point it starts to do defrost cycles, LP which is burned in an on-demand boiler and provides in-floor hydronic heat in the basement and blown heat through a heat exchanger in the furnace, and a wood stove in the basement burning fir, for days I am home. Using last year’s numbers, the heat pump is cheapest, followed by propane, but if I’m home and the temp is below 27 F, I’ll make a wood fire. There is a real cost for wood, as I sometimes bring down a dead tree, but mostly pay the equivalent of $210 USD for a cord of split fir delivered but not stacked. I also have a propane fireplace but use it for ambience since my condensing boiler does a better job of distributing heat. Having said that, the propane fireplace and wood stove both work during our power outages that happen in this rural area.

My American Standard heat pump has been trouble free for 10 years except for a condenser I had to replace. My 10 year old Viesmann boiler however needed a new fire tube, new gas valve, new computer controlled fan, new ignition cord and several ignitors and new face plate for the chamber that was warped. Total was about $2500. The Regency fireplace still has the original fireplace bricks and burns hot and clean, exhausting through a double insulated stainless steel chimney vent. I find the gas fireplace thermocouple has to be cleaned once a year for the piezoelectric igniter to work.
Heat pumps in the comparatively temperate US really are the way to go. I wish I had one.

It doesn’t stop with just the banning of natural gas. Washington state changed the building code so that future residential and commercial buildings must use electric heat pumps for heating and cooling and for heating water. The additional costs will be substantial.
Not really. You're replacing two systems (Furnace and AC) with one system (Heatpump). The HPWH on the other hand might have some teething pains assuming architects don't go stupid with its placement.

I took efficiency into account, figuring a 90% AFUE furnace. And I compared it with the most inefficient way to heat with electricity, resistance heating.

In the real world, you might be comparing an 80% AFUE furnace (still lots of them around, and I think they're still being made) with a heat pump, that typically runs at greater than 200% efficiency, making the breakeven point even lower.

Fireplace inserts are not known to be very efficient. I have an actual purpose-built propane fireplace (I do NOT use it for heating; I would use it in an emergency if the power is out for a long time) and it's probably not even 60% AFUE.

Cooking and drying aren't usually big energy users, so it likely doesn't really matter what you power them with. Heating is the big one.

90% Is a fair constant to use for this. I can see this comparison are valid. Thanks for doing the math!

That's because your apartment had the cheapest code-minimum electric furnace. Codes are updated and current code-min is almost always more efficient than the prior code minimum.
How do you figure? Electric furnaces all have an efficiency very near 100%, even your refrigerator has an effective heating efficiency near 100% for local heating. More efficient heater fan does not matter, still produces heat the same as the heating elements do, at 100% efficiency.

How do you figure? Electric furnaces all have an efficiency very near 100%, even your refrigerator has an effective heating efficiency near 100% for local heating. More efficient heater fan does not matter, still produces heat the same as the heating elements do, at 100% efficiency.

Heatpumps have an efficiency typically greater than 200% and as much as 400%.

Good point. The only difference would be sizing.

Last edited:
Yes. I would even use a dehumidifier even in the winter. But someplace colder who knows.

I live in Northern Virginia and I've never needed a dehumidifier in winter. I needed to run a humidifier back when I lived in a drafty house (built in 1995, go figure) with an 80% furnace.

As I understand ,NY was/is considering banning NG in new buildings. It has not passed but is/was under consideration. I suspect pushing such a thing will resume after election time.

Ahhh yes, New York, where they shutdown Indian Point, which was replaced with gas, and then talk about banning gas for normal people 🤦

If the 80% furnace is pulling it's combustion air from inside the house...air leaks from the outside. Assuming you could seal the house up well enough, you'll just starve that furnace of combustion air.
It would be really expensive to get down to 2 ACH50. In any case it's a nonissue for the most part because many of these furnaces are located in vented attics and garages. Attics and garages are "outside" (i.e. exposed to outdoor air 100 percent of the time) so they don't need interior air for oxygen.

Slab-on-grade residential construction almost always have the furnace in the attic or garage. Basements are typically leaky at the sill plate.

Ultimately the issue is leaky duct work in these spaces which release conditioned air into the outdoors causing the house to depressurize and suck in exterior air through the walls, windows, doors, ceilings, floors. Fix the exit/entry pathways and you can reduce the amount of air being sent back outside.

Remember cold air is dry air. Keep the cold air out and you can maintain RH levels.

Last edited:
It would be really expensive to get down to 2 ACH50. In any case it's a nonissue for the most part because many of these furnaces are located in vented attics and garages. Attics and garages are "outside" (i.e. exposed to outdoor air 100 percent of the time) so they don't need interior air for oxygen. Gas HWH can be inside and burn consequently fueled via interior air.

Slab-on-grade residential construction almost always have the furnace in the attic or garage. Basements are typically leaky at the sill plate.

The issue is leaky duct work in these spaces which release conditioned air into the outdoors causing the house to depressurize and suck in exterior air through the walls, windows, doors. Fix the exit/entry pathways and you can reduce the amount of air being sent back outside.

Remember cold air is dry air. Keep the cold air out and you can maintain RH levels.

Depends on the area. In places where houses have basements---the furnace is usually in the basement, not the attic or the garage. And I've seen a few slab-on-grade houses where they put the furnace under the stairs.

In general it's a bad idea to put furnaces and ductwork in unconditioned spaces.

As far as leaky duct work, current building codes require that ducts be sealed with mastic.

Depends on the area. In places where houses have basements---the furnace is usually in the basement, not the attic or the garage. And I've seen a few slab-on-grade houses where they put the furnace under the stairs.

In general it's a bad idea to put furnaces and ductwork in unconditioned spaces.

As far as leaky duct work, current building codes require that ducts be sealed with mastic.
Duct sealing has always been required but installers were sloppy with it. There was a big shift in 2006 towards better air sealing when the Obama administration offered the states a huge chunk of coin if they updated their building codes. Since then many states have updated the codes considerably but you have millions of units which were built to a prior code. Even today states adhere to different standards if they have them.

Codes now have to meet whole house leakage standards which among other things demand an duct system which isn't leaking like a sieve. Better windows, doors, sealing at the top and bottom plates, sill plate, taped WRB (ex, Tyvek, ZIP System) etc all go towards improving occupant comfort by reducing the amount of air which can be pulled into the house.

Ideally the furnace and duct work should be inside the building envelope but it's cheaper for builders to put them in the attic or garage for areas where code allows. I see new million dollar homes with a furnace in the garage of all places.

My home was built under code which pre-dates 2006.

Current code by state

Last edited:
It would be really expensive to get down to 2 ACH50. In any case it's a nonissue for the most part because many of these furnaces are located in vented attics and garages. Attics and garages are "outside" (i.e. exposed to outdoor air 100 percent of the time) so they don't need interior air for oxygen.

Ultimately the issue is leaky duct work in these spaces which release conditioned air into the outdoors causing the house to depressurize and suck in exterior air through the walls, windows, doors, ceilings, floors. Fix the exit/entry pathways and you can reduce the amount of air being sent back outside.

In northern climates, furnaces normally aren't in attics or garages. They are located in conditioned interior spaces. Typically a basement or what is referred to as the "utility room".

80% combustion units use air from inside the structure. These are (in newer construction) supplied by outside air into the room. Older construction used to depend on the "leaks", but current building codes result in tighter construction.

Because these units draw a lot of outside air in at much colder temps that cannot carry much moisture, the net effect is very low relative humidity indoors during prime heating season. When it is very cold outside (say in Minnesota in the winter) this can result in uncomfortably low interior relative humidity levels. When I lived in Colorado, the very dry air there normally added to this issue, and most houses did use humidification in the winter.

In northern climates, furnaces normally aren't in attics or garages. They are located in conditioned interior spaces. Typically a basement or what is referred to as the "utility room".

80% combustion units use air from inside the structure. These are (in newer construction) supplied by outside air into the room. Older construction used to depend on the "leaks", but current building codes result in tighter construction.

Because these units draw a lot of outside air in at much colder temps that cannot carry much moisture, the net effect is very low relative humidity indoors during prime heating season. When it is very cold outside (say in Minnesota in the winter) this can result in uncomfortably low interior relative humidity levels. When I lived in Colorado, the very dry air there normally added to this issue, and most houses did use humidification in the winter.
Wasn't there some class-action on 90% furnaces? Perhaps it was 95%. I seem to remember reading something about the condensation rusting out the furnace.

It’s the magic of a working gas that makes a heat pump extract an extra 200% to 300% and maybe 400% under the right conditions. How do you extra heat from thin air when the temp is 30 F? The coils are 5 degrees F and the 30 F heat heats the fluid in the coils. You then compress the gas to a hot temp and exchange the heat to the indoor circulated air. Bingo. Efficiencies way more that 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back