Generac 5W20 Low Ash (GEO) oil for Generators

Just bought the 18/17KW model #7226 with install planned for this spring using natural gas.

The online manual on Page 27 states:
“All Generac oil kits meet minimum American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Class SJ, SL, or better. Do not use special additives.
Synthetic SAE 5W-30 for all temperature ranges.”

Was told by representative on the phone it shipped with conventional 5w30 oil in it, and that should be run for the initial 25 hours then can be switched over to synthetic. I asked if it was a break-in oil, although they couldn’t confirm that specifically.

In my temperature range for a Michigan, Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 has ran fine in my old portable Homelite gen. If wanting to follow the manual for warranty purposes a 5w30 SL rated Castrol Edge Euro, Total Quartz 9000 Energy, Mobil 1 ESP or Rotella T5 Multi Vehicle 5w30 should have near a 3.5 HT/HS. The Castrol Euro A3B4 0w30 looks really stout

Outside of warranty a 0w40 Euro or sooner depending how the 5w30 holds up after the first few early changes.

Last edited:
Just bought the 18/17KW model #7226 with install planned for this spring using natural gas.

The online manual on Page 27 states:
“All Generac oil kits meet minimum American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Class SJ, SL, or better. Do not use special additives.
Synthetic SAE 5W-30 for all temperature ranges.”

Was told by representative on the phone it shipped with conventional 5w30 oil in it, and that should be run for the initial 25 hours than can be switched over to synthetic. I asked if it was a break-in oil, although they couldn’t confirm that specifically.

In my temperature range for a Michigan, Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 has ran fine in my old portable Homelite gen. If wanting to follow the manual for warranty purposes a 5w30 SL rated Castrol Edge Euro, Total Quartz 9000 Energy, Mobil 1 ESP or Rotella T5 Multi Vehicle 5w30 should have near a 3.5 HT/HS. The Castrol Euro A3B4 0w30 looks really stout

Outside of warranty a 0w40 Euro or sooner depending how the 5w30 holds up after the first few early changes.
Castrol Euro 5W30 would be an excellent choice.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 would be another good choice.

I currently have FRAM Synthetic 5W30 in my 22KW. I’ll probably switch to a 5W30 Euro on the next change.
Finding aftermarket oil filters locally is my biggest problem. I’d like to run FRAM TG4386. I may have to settle on the NAPA Gold 7145.

Back