Low ash oil with propane engine

I have a little air cooled propane powered Generac standby generator. The manual basically says gasser 5w30 for year round temps. SN I believe. Pretty vague IMO.

My first inclination is to run an A3/B4, but I’ve read a low ash oil is preferred for a propane engine. Is there any truth to this?

There’s low ash HDEO’s as well as oils like Pennzoil Euro L and M1 ESP. Thoughts?

I have a little air cooled propane powered Generac standby generator. The manual basically says gasser 5w30 for year round temps. SN I believe. Pretty vague IMO.

My first inclination is to run an A3/B4, but I’ve read a low ash oil is preferred for a propane engine. Is there any truth to this?

There’s low ash HDEO’s as well as oils like Pennzoil Euro L and M1 ESP. Thoughts?
It has the Kohler Engine on it, I really do not think it matters. My dad has 1, but I think it runs on Natural Gas.

Might consider taking a look at the oil recommendations of the big home standby generator manufacturers as they can all be ran on propane.

The forklift dealership I worked for used Delo oil in all the forklifts they serviced and those propane fueled engines lasted to 34,000 hours . I am positive the engine would be happy with any quality proper viscosity quality oil changed on a frequent basis when the generator is in use.

Last edited:
0-30w M1 in my 10 yr old 10kw air cooled propane fueled stationary Generac that lives in -40F to 85F weather. Zero issues and changed via monitor system which on average is every 2 yrs. Still has decent color when it comes out, almost good enough for OPE but I'm not that frugal.

0-30w M1 in my 10 yr old 10kw air cooled propane fueled stationary Generac that lives in -40F to 85F weather. Zero issues and changed via monitor system which on average is every 2 yrs. Still has decent color when it comes out, almost good enough for OPE but I'm not that frugal.

****! -40F? In NJ? I'm a weather nut so would love to hear about that. I'm a bit north of you and live at a little elevation and coldest we have gotten in 19 years is -12F. That is on a personal weather station that is rather accurate. What town(ship)?

****! -40F? In NJ? I'm a weather nut so would love to hear about that. I'm a bit north of you and live at a little elevation and coldest we have gotten in 19 years is -12F. That is on a personal weather station that is rather accurate. What town(ship)?
No not NJ, that unit is in the NYS Adirondacks. Hit minus -34 up there a few weeks ago.

what reasoning is behind that?
i think opposite, gasses can have more sulfur, bigger saps reserve makes sense.
Not all sulfur compounds are the same. But even so it isn’t connected to the ash level or SAPS. A sulfated ash test sulfates metallic compounds, you wouldn’t sulfate sulfur.

Back