California drivers and weather

It's true. People here can't drive if the sun is not shining. We had a rain yesterday.they called it heavy.people in other places would call it a heavy sprinkle.

Had about 200 incidents on a 20 or so mile long section of freeway yesterday. No ice or snow. Just rain.

Screenshot_20240202-072331.jpg

I imagine people tend to run their tires too long since you can possibly get away with it when the sun is always shining. Then the first coat of rain and they become a hazard.
There may be some truth to this. I feel like the number of tires I casually observe that look low on tread has increased the last few years.

It's true. People here can't drive if the sun is not shining. We had a rain yesterday.they called it heavy.people in other places would call it a heavy sprinkle.

Had about 200 incidents on a 20 or so mile long section of freeway yesterday. No ice or snow. Just rain.

View attachment 201256

After a few weeks or longer without rain, pavement can get very slick when it finally gets wet. No issues if it rains regularly though. But people should know

Cajon Pass has been a problem during any kind of storm forever. Just more bad drivers to make a mess now.

We moved out to the Bay Area in 2003, just in time for some very light snow in the Santa Cruz mountains. All over the local news were reports of carnage on Rt 17. I wanted to see snow there so I poked around on the back roads a bit with no problems, but IIRC 17 was shut down for the better part of a day. I'll take California weather any day!

Last edited:
In my experience, people in California can't drive at all, rain or shine. Additionally, there is no manners and/or courtesy among drivers. None.

Drivers are obsessed with checking their stupid cell phones. I routinely see people driving 100 mph+ on our freeways and I know there are not enough CHP Officers to make a significant impact.

Sadly, the speeding is so out of control that you have elected officials now trying to pass legislation to limit the speed that vehicles can even be capable of driving!

<sigh>

Ed

1973....took my first plane ride and on a whim visited California with a pal.
Canoga Park was stop #1. It rained.
Crash after crash....no exaggeration.....it was amazing to say the least.

The other kicker was highway traffic zooming at 80 mph but slowing down WHEN THE HIGHWAY BENT A LITTLE.
I was taught to drive safely but my pal's father was emphatic and sent his son to an actual driving school.
Those open highway slowdowns puzzled me but my pal was mind blown to agitation.
50 years ago.......

After a few weeks or longer without rain, pavement can get very slick when it finally gets wet. No issues if it rains regularly though. But people should know
Very true.
Yeah, a few inches of rain is a big deal around here lol.
a few inches? in one day? Trying to think the last time we had that much here... maybe once a year we get 1" in a day.

I lived in San Diego, and yes, it is safer to drive here during a blizzard than in San Diego during light rain.

Once I drove from San Diego to LA on a day it rained where I couldn’t see out my windshield with wipers on max. I was about ready to get out and wait, but then we all had to stop on I-5 after what looked like the result of a spin out around Irvine.

The rain was light at the time I passed the accident scene.

Everybody keeps referencing Cali drivers. You should know that San Bernadino contains a special subset of Cali drivers. The absolutely worst of the worst drivers in the world are within 15 miles of San Bernadino.

Everybody keeps referencing Cali drivers. You should know that San Bernadino contains a special subset of Cali drivers. The absolutely worst of the worst drivers in the world are within 15 miles of San Bernadino.
How are those compared to the NJ drivers on I-80.
50% chance you see them flying around being uh (bitog unsafe word)..... bad drivers
they are NJ ;)

Slow in the left lane. Unable to stay in lane. Passing at 100 then you catch upto them doing 55 in front of you after 5min.. you name it.

In the Detroit area I see lots of good drivers. When a cloudburst hits the area, pretty much everyone slows from 70-80 to 65.

Back