Fun at the DMV

My hunting buddy had to get his license plates and they requested his drivers license. He even knew the girl that was getting the plates for him. She made him go home to get his drivers license. I am sorry but some company policies need to be changed. If I were that employee I would say do not tell anyone but I am going to give you your licenses without having to prove your identity. Some people just have no guts at all to make a decision on their own. I always used company policies as a guideline and never had any problems.
ID for Tags? Insane! Up here you just need the old /current expiring reg or Title App for a new car and pay the fee. No need to ID a person. They know me in the clerks office. They wont give me a reg renewal if I didn't pay my property taxes yet :mad: If i cant drive to work how am I suppose to pay my taxes!?

Now that I think about it, maybe there are a lot of non-resident out-of-stater's registering cars illegally to avoid taxes in a bordering state. They use a "friend" or relative's address. There were a lot of Massachusetts residents doing this in NH as Mass has insane 6% sales tax on vehicles and vehicle insurance can be higher too.
There are NO sales tax levied in NH ( ex. prepared restaurant food at 8.5%) but a depreciated excise millage is levied annually.

-Ken

ID for Tags? Insane! Up here you just need the old /current expiring reg or Title App for a new car and pay the fee. No need to ID a person. They know me in the clerks office. They wont give me a reg renewal if I didn't pay my property taxes yet :mad: If i cant drive to work how am I suppose to pay my taxes!?

Now that I think about it, maybe there are a lot of non-resident out-of-stater's registering cars illegally to avoid taxes in a bordering state. They use a "friend" or relative's address. There were a lot of Massachusetts residents doing this in NH as Mass has insane 6% sales tax on vehicles and vehicle insurance can be higher too.
There are NO sales tax levied in NH ( ex. prepared restaurant food at 8.5%) but a depreciated excise millage is levied annually.

-Ken
Yes, I have some friends who stay in AZ and license their vehicles here. Some border on a fine line between legal and illegal but seem to get away with it because we like our tax monies and license fees hahaha.

This link to the official US Federal Register will tell you all you need to know about REAL ID (also make sure to check out all the links embedded in this link ...)

Here are the forms of ID currently accepted by the TSA:

Bottom line:
IF you intend to use a state-issued ID, then you'll need it to be REAL ID compliant.
IF you do not intend to use a state-issued ID for federal access puporses, it's moot, as you can use other forms of ID.

Last edited:
You don't have a real I/D yet?! Amazing!
I though that cutover for real I.D was years ago.

I had a notice telling me what docs to bring to prove my identity. I had my Original Social security cards stapled to the original fan-fold leaflet from the 1950's SSA. They said they can't take that so SS I,D! I when semi-ballistic but then reined it in as these jamokes will be responsible gifting me the privilege of an I.D. They said I need a pay stub with my SS on it. Really?
I also had to order a new birth certificate from my county of birth in Indiana, as I only had a negative microfiche copy and a page from a boy's names leaflet that has a hand written notice of birth filled out by the doctor at the Hospital.

I got my I.D. I slicked my hair back and mugged it up like a big crook form Massachusetts for the photo.
I am now a card-carrying member of The Winter Hill Gang.
Wife just went through this with what I ASSUMED was our marriage license. Technically it's not well in the sense it was void 60 days after we were married. I didn't know they issued temp ones apparently, so she never got her real ID and just renewed her license and apparently we never picked up our real one either in 2006.

Does that mean I am still a bachelor? All this time WASTED!

My license is due to expire the end of this month. I got a notice from the DMV back in November. So I made an appointment for the soonest day which was December 16.

Looked online and brought what the DMV site said I needed to bring.

Got to the lady at the door and she said I had to have my birth cert and SSI card too and that I was required to get a real i.d. whatever that is

Had to order my birth cert as mine seems to be lost.

Got it Wednesday. This time they had an appt available for today, Friday @2:40 p.

Got there. Did my paperwork. They called my number and that girl can't do my license so they sent me to another girl.

Ok whatever. This girl never asked for any I d. I asked her why and she said those were for real i.d. and that they don't do real i.d. On Fridays.

Once again the California DMV does not know what's right or wrong. Ask 3 ppl there the same question and you get 3 different answers.

Never mind the fact that they were such jerks that they had to be retrained a while back.

Idiots!
It's gotten real crazy with the "real ID". Thankfully Colorado it's standard. Starting 2024 or 2025 drivers licenses without the real ID won't be allowed through airport security.

It's gotten real crazy with the "real ID". Thankfully Colorado it's standard. Starting 2024 or 2025 drivers licenses without the real ID won't be allowed through airport security.
It’s standard everywhere. It’s a matter of Federal regulation. State compliance, and implementation competence, varies - but they all have to meet the standard. Colorado isn’t exceptional, just compliant.

My wife decided not to get a Real ID compliant California DL because she didn't want to go to the office to present all that stuff. She has a US passport and passport card anyways which is all that's needed for airports and federal buildings. I originally got my passport card because I heard of the issues with Real ID back in 2009. But then California kept on extended when they were going with Real ID and the feds kept on giving waivers.

But I did end up getting my Real ID California DL. It's different because the star on the front is inside an image of a bear. But it was a huge issue getting it. Originally I'd made an appointment for the Saturday (back when California DMV still had locations with Saturday hours) after Thanksgiving. I got messages (email and texts) reminding of the appointment. When I got there (about 10 minutes before scheduled opening time) I saw people waiting in line outside including those doing walk-in and with appointments. But nobody seemed to be inside the office. We were thinking they were in the back. Then I checked the official DMV website on my phone (nobody else thought of it) and found that all California DMV offices were closed for the entire weekend (Thu-Sun) of Thanksgiving. Even though many were able to get "appointments" though the DMV website. I ended up doing a walk-in later that week and it took about two hours to finish it all.

I'd also brought several pieces of mail and/or proof of address. Those included the mailing of my last credit card along with a credit card statement that I printed myself. I figured the former would be pretty good proof, but the clerk said the latter was what she wanted.

Back