Calamari

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you really enjoy Calamari ?
I love calamari and we have it several different ways.

*Fried(which I try to stay away from these day due to CAD)

*In sauce with pasta(preferably with linguini)

*Calamari Salad w/garlic, lemon & olive oil, parsley &/or basil, salt & pepper

*With Salad(mixed in w/Fresh Greens)

How about yourself ?
smile.gif

Last edited:
I like it almost any way it can be prepped - canned, fried, in Thai, Korean, and Chinese cuisine, etc. It's mostly the texture. Fresh squid won't have much flavor of its own when cooked, but it is nice and springy and picks up other flavors readily.

We usually buy it fresh(fresh as can be) and clean & cut it to our liking. Once in a while, we will get it in a restaurant as an appetizer but, it's mostly fried!

Few restaurants make it in the sauce or with salads. We'd have to go to our favorite Italian Bistro and get it to order.

It has to be done in so that it doesn't resemble onion rings with a fishy taste-heavy batter simply overwhelms the delicate flavor of the squid. My personal preference (fresh squid of course) is to use a combination of mantle and tentacles soaked in buttermilk for at least half a day-the lactic acid in the buttermilk will prevent the squid from becoming tough and rubbery during cooking. Then dried and dressed with a very light coating of cornstarch and pepper. Immediately after dressing with the cornstarch (literally from the bowl of coating to the pan of oil within a few seconds) it has to go into very hot oil in very small batches, otherwise the cornstarch gets gummy. No more than 90 seconds and out comes a very delicate, wonderful calamari treat.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
canned ?

Not in my kitchen. Ever.

Why do most people insist on calling SQUID by it's italian name. It's SQUID.

Try it tossed in a mix of flour,black pepper, and Old Bay, then fried in peanut oil. You can then serve it with pasta or try tossing in a hot sauce or Buffalo sauce(how I prefer it).

I got ruined with it.

On a greek isle a fishing boat with outboard pulled up with a caught squid. The restaurant owner bought it and insisted we have it right then and now. OMG(rarely do that), it was out of this world. We even returned the next day and it was not the same as it simply was not as fresh. I believe they fry it in olive oil there.

I don't eat it any longer as I remember that.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I got ruined with it.

On a greek isle a fishing boat with outboard pulled up with a caught squid. The restaurant owner bought it and insisted we have it right then and now. OMG(rarely do that), it was out of this world. We even returned the next day and it was not the same as it simply was not as fresh. I believe they fry it in olive oil there.

I don't eat it any longer as I remember that.

Reminds me of Pops Casbah in Eau Gallie, Fl. We used to eat there. The owner would be out back arguing prices with local fisherman over their catch. Then Pops would come in and tell you what he had to serve!

Can't get much fresher unless you catch it yourself. I would LOVE to experience the Grecian Isles, it has always been a dream of mine...

Originally Posted By: 29662
Why do most people insist on calling SQUID by it's italian name. It's SQUID.

Maybe because calamari is actually a species of squid? Squid are larger and have small pointed flaps at the narrow end of their bodies. Calamari have long triangular wing-like flaps on either sides of the body. True calamari are much more tender than regular squid. I would have assumed, since you claim to cook it, that you'd actually know the difference.

While we're on the subject of things you don't know, the word "Italian" in your post should be capitalized, and the word "squid" does not need to be in capital letters.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It has to be done in so that it doesn't resemble onion rings with a fishy taste-heavy batter simply overwhelms the delicate flavor of the squid. My personal preference (fresh squid of course) is to use a combination of mantle and tentacles soaked in buttermilk for at least half a day-the lactic acid in the buttermilk will prevent the squid from becoming tough and rubbery during cooking. Then dried and dressed with a very light coating of cornstarch and pepper. Immediately after dressing with the cornstarch (literally from the bowl of coating to the pan of oil within a few seconds) it has to go into very hot oil in very small batches, otherwise the cornstarch gets gummy. No more than 90 seconds and out comes a very delicate, wonderful calamari treat.

Gee Pop...you almost make me want to try it. In general, I prefer my food without tentacles and sans mantle. What I've had has ALWAYS been overcooked and rubbery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back