CAFE and the USE of Lower Viscosity Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of people keep saying that CAFE is the only reason that thinner and thinner oils are being used today. ‘That engines are being sacrificed because of it. If that was true, so what. As long as the engine lasts as long as you own your cars you should be happy. After all, do you not want better fuel economy and less of a carbon footprint for your vehicle?

It would seem that cars with start-stop result in greater wearing of parts. This does not seem to bother anybody.

Then again, it’s been a few decades now and millions upon millions of cars are running these thinner oils. If there is one adverse effect of a medical drug in 40,000 patients then law suits abound. If thin oil was destroying engines would there not be legal issues?

I would venture to guess that there are just as many engine lubrication issues using any oil brand and any oil viscosity as in the past.

AEHaas

Most people do not put enough miles on their vehicles to wear them out. Oil keeps the parts seperated that is how it works . I have taken continuing education Classes in the automotive trade since the 1980's for my employment, Yes indeed CAFE credits is the only reason the auto mfgs went to thinner oils. No internet articles nor peoples opinions taught me that, the factory representives for Ford, GM and Chrysler taught me that the drop in oil viscosity was for Cafe MPGs credits .

Last edited:
I suspect the premise is that automakers are only concerned about warranty and they engineer their product to last approx 150k miles. Owners assume that this planned obsolescence applies to the lubricating regime for the engine as well.. The other thing is that choice of lubricant is something that owners can actually control.

Bless their heart in a world of BEV's.

I’ve always wondered if the oil usage issues we keep hearing about is because of thinner oil?
IMO it's a design issue. For example the BMW M54 and the VW EA888 were known oil drinkers but these engines were designed with one less cylinder ring or had improperly designed rings which were the cause of consumption.

I’ve always wondered if the oil usage issues we keep hearing about is because of thinner oil?
Possibly, but remember the industry is driven by fuel efficency and emissions requirements. There have lots of things changed in the engines to improve the mpgs and emissions. Look at the 6, 8, and especially the 10 speed transmissions. They let the engines potentially operate in the most efficient areas of MPGs and emissions. As much as I hate the complexity it is amazing.

Last edited:
If thin oil was destroying engines would there not be legal issues?
There's a big difference between some added wear and destroyed engines. Pretty much every study on viscosity vs wear shows that some engine components do indeed have more wear when the HTHS hits about 2.6 cP. You should read some official studies, a lot of them have been discussed on BITOG.

Ever follow an old carburetored vehicle on the road, or someone who's modified the vehicle by removed the cats and retuned the ECU to run rich ... most of them make your eyes water from the raw fumes coming out the exhaust.

And that is a benefit in the end. I lived back when you couldn’t see city skylines because of smog.

You know what eliminates smog? Getting rid of particulate pollution. Ontario stopped having smog days when we stopped burning coal, so there's clearly a direct correlation there. Lots of nuclear + hydro allow that to happen.

Now, ground-level pollution is definitely something we should endeavour to eliminate, but that's not going to happen by running 0w-8, it'll be PHEV's and BEV's that facilitate that.

Ever follow an old carburetored vehicle on the road, or someone who's modified the vehicle by removed the cats and retuned the ECU to run rich ... most of them make your eyes water from the raw fumes coming out the exhaust.

I may "know somebody" that ran an offroad H-pipe on their 5.0L Mustang and still passed emissions testing ;) But yes, even with a stock tune, the smell is different for sure.

A lot more of people HATE cylinder deactivation and start/stop. Half the people on the F150 forums have that stuff deactivated in their trucks either via a switch or modifications to the BCM via Forscan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back