Ca vs Mo for cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to learn about oil: From what I read, Calcium and Molybdenum are used in synthetics to keep engines clean. As an additive, is one of these metals perferable to the other? Occasionally I come across a reference suggesting Moly (at least in some forms) is not so desirable in an engine oil. Can anyone comment or direct me to a reference. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Peromyscus
Just trying to learn about oil: From what I read, Calcium and Molybdenum are used in synthetics to keep engines clean. As an additive, is one of these metals perferable to the other? Occasionally I come across a reference suggesting Moly (at least in some forms) is not so desirable in an engine oil. Can anyone comment or direct me to a reference. Thanks.

Indeed read through that linked forum area and you will learn.
They are so different one is not preferable to the other. Neither is a cleaner in and of itself. Ca++ is (as you mention) a P.T.E. Group IIA semi-metallic element, Mo is a group VIIA metal. I'll refrain from yapping more about their respective elemental properties. Ca is compounded with a variety of H-C chains and other molecules to form soaps, detergents, etc and provides good cleaning, dirt carrying, slight antiwear, anti-oxidant, at a not super high cost and of course does play a crucial role in acid neutralization. Mo is more limited in it's multifunctional role but does provide excellent antiwear, FM properties, and some slight anti-oxidant properties. The usual negative stuff you will find on the internet probably involves MoS2, which is not a compound used in modern motor oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back