C6 now takes 5.5 qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for Patman. In the new Vette magazine, the oil capacity has been reduced by one qt. 6.5 to 5.5 qts. Wonder why?

I noticed that too, and was kind of disappointed in the capacity reduction, but at least it saves the expensive oil users a bit of money.
smile.gif
Hopefully the LS2 doesn't burn oil like some LS1s and LS6s too, saving it's owners even more oil money.
smile.gif

Don't forget on the C6, the Z51 option will include engine, trans and differential oil coolers(among many other nice goodies). A first on synthetic engine oil-specified Corvettes. The vast majority of people who will be planning on doing any continuous full throttle driving in a C6 will surely be seeking a Z51 equipped car. The Z51 will also be standard in Europe.

The everyday drivers, cruisers and garage queens, will be more than fine with 5.5 quarts of synthtic oil in the sump

I forgot to add this part from that page too, which explains it even further:

quote:

The LS2’s new oil pan was developed to ensure oil delivery commensurate with Corvette’s high-performance capability. Extensive track testing has shown the new design to provide better oil control under the extreme demands of high-rpm/high g-force driving maneuvers. The elimination of the previous “gull wing” oil pan design also reduces the engine’s oil capacity from 6.5 quarts to 5.5 quarts with a dry filter.

"with a dry filter"....so does that mean it holds 5.5qts in the pan alone and NOT counting what's in the filter? If so, I figure it would hold more like 6 and 6.5 if you overfill by half a qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back