C&D - WRX vs GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

VW reliability though?

Those magazines seldom make recommendations based on this consideration. I could rave about a lot of cars if not eventually saddled with an 8 or 11 year old version of it.

My purchases spend more years as an 'old car' than a 'new car' so this ranks > 50% of consideration in my purchases. I like to see the comments however by those whose reliability concerns are minor.

Last edited:
Subaru reliability with WRX/STI is likely average. That has been my experience with the WRX version of Legacy.

I love the tartan plaid interior and power curve is amazing out of the 2.0T. My next replacement for Subie is likely the upcoming 2015 SportsWagen as wife's commuter.

Eh, C&D treats the GTI like the 3 series now. Wins everytime, even if the scoring doesn't seem to add up.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have a tough decision to make between the two and GTI might get the nod now just because there is no Rex hatch right now. With an extended warranty though I'm afraid, especially on a new model. While "average", I'm going to trust Subaru quality way more than VW.

Reliability comes to my mind too. The 'car guys' around here say that VW/Audi dealers seem to have trouble fixing these cars and having them stay fixed. I do know that there are many independent shops that cater to them. My wife's Nissan Z-not much but me or a dealer

I own an 07' WRX and a 2013 GTI. I bought both vehicles new. I have 133K on the WRX and 35K on the GTI. I keep the WRX around for my wife to use for winter duty.

I have UOA's of both cars posted on here.

The 2015's differ from what I have but I much prefer my GTI over my WRX. The engine in my GTI is waaaaay better than my WRX. My WRX feels like a dog until the turbo kicks in and falls on it's face before the redline. My GTI belts out torque down low like I'm driving a small car with a V6 and revs quickly to the redline without losing steam. Just a much better feeling engine even though my WRX is faster.

I never had an issue with my GTI yet. Even if it wasn't as reliable, I'd still pick it over a WRX.

My WRX has been VERY reliable; only needing a clutch slave cylinder. Got the OEM rebuild kit at the dealer for $20 and rebuilt it myself.

The new 2015 GTI holds 7 quarts of oil!

If the GTI was AWD it would win. If the WRX was a hatch it would win. Draw. No winner.

A car rag picks the euro car? Who knew??

I have not owned a VW since 1984. The sour taste is STILL there. But that GTI would be in the secret parking spot rather than the the WRX if it was AWD and retained the sub $30K price tag (and I do love the fact that it's a 2Dr hatch, which the WRX isn't.)And don't say Audi, because yeah, the price tag.

Thanks for posting this Sir Buster.

While all that is true its not really a fair comparison.. one being 6 years older.
for example the turbo lag is addressed with the new 2.0turbo engine it has nearly 0 turbo lag
unfortunately the wrx is "not recommended to tow"
even a small so I was forced into the 2015 forester 6mt non-turbo
because no turbo/manual in the forester.

That all said the 2015 forester is upgraded amazingly in many areas over my previous 2011 forester.. Likewise the 2015 wrx is amazingly upgraded over the 2007 you have.

The 2015 wrx feels almost as fast as the sti from a rolling start.

I would agree with you 100% that the 2013 GTI is a very nice car and much better than the 07 wrx.

The problem with VW seems to be after about 5-7 years if you get one of the electrical nightmare POS cars or if you get a reliable one.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I own an 07' WRX and a 2013 GTI. I bought both vehicles new. I have 133K on the WRX and 35K on the GTI. I keep the WRX around for my wife to use for winter duty.

I have UOA's of both cars posted on here.

The 2015's differ from what I have but I much prefer my GTI over my WRX. The engine in my GTI is waaaaay better than my WRX. My WRX feels like a dog until the turbo kicks in and falls on it's face before the redline. My GTI belts out torque down low like I'm driving a small car with a V6 and revs quickly to the redline without losing steam. Just a much better feeling engine even though my WRX is faster.

I never had an issue with my GTI yet. Even if it wasn't as reliable, I'd still pick it over a WRX.

My WRX has been VERY reliable; only needing a clutch slave cylinder. Got the OEM rebuild kit at the dealer for $20 and rebuilt it myself.

The new 2015 GTI holds 7 quarts of oil!

Last edited:
A couple of Subie's in the family. You'd have to pay me to take a VW. VW reliability is nowhere near as good as a Subie, and working on a VW is about as much fun as a root canal.

I'd rather have the VW. But to be honest I'd have neither of these cars in the first place. Nor do I think are most buyers wondering about ten year reliability.

The worst aspect of owning a VW isn't the reliability, it is the
$tealership network, which is probably one of the worst in the country. As a matter of fact I was banned from VWVortex.com forums because I kept the heat on VWoA for having such a [censored] $tealership network, there are a few that are outstandingly good, and probably rise to the quality of the very best dealerships for service, but the sad part is that 70% of them are HORRID, when it comes to service, and the prices after the warranty for cash service are outrageous.

Until VWoA addresses their $tealership issues they will continue to be a second rate brand in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
WRX any day of the week. Bad VW experiences like Pablo..would love to get a Subie for winter for the AWD.

My wife had a Cabrio (2002??) and it was the worst car I've ever seen in terms of reliability. I convinced her to get the 3 while she was just getting done school.

The 2015's maybe turn out to be very reliable. I'd give the reliability edge to Subaru, no doubt.

VW has a lot to prove.

I love the AWD of Subarus. Having it in the heavy rain/snow is awesome, especially with winter tires.
thumbsup2.gif

European cars are refined and often offer a very high level of performance, but their reliability is very inconsistent. .02

Originally Posted By: buster
The 2015's maybe turn out to be very reliable.

As of 2015 model year, both Golf and GTI are now made in Mexico. Let's wait and see what that means for reliability.
smile.gif

With that said, my wife's old 2001 Jetta was made in Mexico, and its reliability wasn't too bad. Alas, I know others were less fortunate.

I will state my wife's 2005 Legacy turbo is an absolute hoot on gravel and winter covered roads with winter tires.

I have driven a winter tire equipped 2012 GLI and it is no where nearly as fun on gravel and winter roads.

Off piste the WRX destroys it in fun to drive factor.

I find it interesting that neither car holds a significant performance advantage over my 2007 MS3; I do like the GTI's interior and heated seats, but if I'm dropping $28k on a car I think I'd be looking at a used 135i or Z4 M Coupe.
That said, both cars would definitely be a hoot to own...

Sometimes the VW wins these contests because they are more comfortable to drive.

I'm not sure how well the GTI will work, because I find that VWs built in Germany tend to be far less troublesome than ones made elsewhere. For example, It seems like I repair a disproportionate number of MKIV Jettas versus B5/B5.5 Passats. That is why 10 year reliability scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back