2015 VW GTI, one of the best under $30k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Even when you're cruising at 3k rpm in 4th and gun it, there is a lot of lag.

I guess i have just forgotten what its like to drive a turbo car.

There are several reasons I don't like turbo charged engines, one of them is turbo lag.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd rather slip into a Mustang GT with the 5.0, but that's a whole nother story..

For under $30K in the U.S. one can get a faster (than this GTI) Mustang V6, Camaro V6, or Challenger V6 pony car, all for around $24k new. Mustang and Camaro handle well, although the Challenger is a little more wallowy for sure. Faster than a GTI 0-60 mph all.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
I'd rather slip into a Mustang GT with the 5.0, but that's a whole nother story..

For under $30K in the U.S. one can get a faster (than this GTI) Mustang V6, Camaro V6, or Challenger V6 pony car, all for around $24k new. Mustang and Camaro handle well

If only they offered the same level of practicality that the GTI does.

My son just got rid of his 2012: 4 water pumps, all on warranty, but there was this 46-day wait for the part once. Otherwise, was fun to drive, when it was up.
What kind of engineering is this?

For under $30K in the U.S. one can get a faster (than this GTI) Mustang V6, Camaro V6, or Challenger V6 pony car, all for around $24k new. Mustang and Camaro handle well

If only they offered the same level of practicality that the GTI does.

At first I didn't believe you on the practicality of the GTI since its externally a much smaller car than the pony cars in the U.S. You are right. The GTI has more passenger and luggage volume than all pony cars except the huge Challenger. GTI is easier to park, more fun to drive, gets better MPG. Pony cars are better for a rock and roll tough man image for sure and better in a collision, they have that going for them anyway!
ktNfsUF.jpg

xZngeyW.jpg

The Honda Accord V6, for an extra $5,000 over the GTI, is a lot faster than the GTI, nudges out the V6 pony cars on accel too, nearly as good on MPG as the GTI, beats it on space. Honda wins, except on image. You won't see it in Furious7 this year.
wsuHv5Q.jpg

s9aYHrn.jpg

how are you determining the accord is faster than the GTI? It sure as [censored] doesn't corner as good as a GTI.

You are right. The GTI has more passenger and luggage volume than all pony cars except the huge Challenger.

That's not even the whole story. The Golf/GTI has a very large rear cargo opening and when you fold down the rear seats you have almost 53 cubic feet of storage space available that can easily fit very large items on your trip from Home Depot, etc. Neither Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, or even the Accord can do that. It has almost as much cargo room as my wife's Q5.

ximm

The Honda Accord V6, for an extra $5,000 over the GTI, is a lot faster than the GTI,

According to most car mags, both vehicles do 0 to 60 mph in about 5.6-5.7 seconds. Plus, as badtlc mentioned, the GTI does not feel like a boat when cornering.

The downside to the Accord V6 (at least for me) is that it's only available with a slush box.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
how are you determining the accord is faster than the GTI? It sure as [censored] doesn't corner as good as a GTI.

Accord V6 does 0-60 in 5.7 sec and GTI in 6 sec according to info you can google on the web.
GTI does handle better, really comparing apples to oranges here, so don't get too worked up.

According to most car mags, both vehicles do 0 to 60 mph in about 5.6-5.7 seconds.

Comparing automatics is really fairer. The manual 0-60 times require too much skill unless you've practiced a lot, which means you paid for a few clutches! With the low skills of most manual drivers, the automatic Accord will beat them. Comparing automatics to get as close to reality as possible, the Accord wins every time by 0.2 or 0.3 seconds 0-60.

Either a GTI or Accord is a great choice depending on which features you value the most and price. Don't get too excited about comparing different sized vehicles. Both Honda and VW have class leading vehicles there.

Last edited:

Accord V6 does 0-60 in 5.7 sec and GTI in 6 sec according to info you can google on the web.
GTI does handle better, really comparing apples to oranges here, so don't get too worked up.

So why not throw in the Ford Focus ST instead of the pony cars? It is also under $30k.

also, motor trend has the GTI 0-60 in 5.7 seconds.

Last edited:
Even if so, i would not call it "a lot faster."

Quote:
Don't get too excited about comparing different sized vehicles.

LOL! You're the one that brought up the Accord into this discussion which is completely apples to oranges here.

So why not throw in the Ford Focus ST instead of the pony cars? It is also under $30k.

also, motor trend has the GTI 0-60 in 5.7 seconds.

Again, your google skills are not great. First, Focus ST is a 6.6 sec car, and the GTI needs a skilled operator on a manual to get 5.7 seconds (burn up clutches too). Compare automatic to automatics and you'll see an Accord V6 is faster 0-60 in every day driving up the on-ramp. Try http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-of-the-fastest-cars-under-30k-112807/ if you need help using google.

Even if so, i would not call it "a lot faster."

Quote:
Don't get too excited about comparing different sized vehicles.

LOL! You're the one that brought up the Accord into this discussion which is completely apples to oranges here.

Merely meant to show the tradeoffs with practicality vs. performance. Try to stay calm.

Originally Posted By: Jcp123
Sure, if you buy you had better be ready to live with relatively high maintenance costs post-warrantee. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

It is hard, though, to find another car with the blend of driving fun, interior quality, and livable fuel economy which a GTi provides.

Based on maintenance schedule my GTI costs less to maintain than my Camry.

Another nice thing about the GTI is, if one were so inclined, it could be turned into a genuinely fast car without much effort.

Depending on where you source the parts, on the high end you can get a GTI to trap at about 115 mph in the 1/4 for about $6000. The beauty is that you're using a larger OEM turbo from another VW/Audi vehicle, so even though you've nearly doubled the horsepower output, the vehicle is still as daily drivable as ever.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of money on a brand new GTI and throw that kind of cash at it, because there are faster cars you could have chosen to begin with. But for a person like me, who bought his car new nearly six years ago, it's nice to know that I can bring the performance of my car up to match newer vehicles quite easily.

I don't care how nice a car is, you can sell me a brand new Bentley Continental for $15k, if it's just average (or worse) for reliability, and costs $3000 a year to maintain, I'd still rather have a car that's reliable and cheaper to maintain when it does need it.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Meh, IMHO the Focus ST is a bit more affordable and is remarkably close if not better in fit and finish that the GTI

I would agree about the ST's exterior fit and finish but not the interior. We have a 2014 ST and while the interior build is nice and mostly made from good quality materials, the GTI is much nicer.

I do still enjoy driving the ST more though. But then again, I haven't driven an Mkvii Golf yet.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back