C&D 10 best

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-feature

Cool/Glad to see both Mazda3 and Mazda6 in the list
smile.gif

I generally have some issue with C&D's 10 best mostly because there are vehicles in the same general class or would be market competition to each other. So for me, C&D needs to pick EITHER the Accord or Mazda6... unless they are counting the Accord as a "full size vehicle". Same goes for the 3/4 series/CTS/A6... (at least there is more overlap with the CTS/A6... maybe the 3 is a bit smaller but not really. Do you toss all 5-door hatchbacks in the same group (GTI/Mazda3... maybe the Fiesta is different because it is smaller etc)

I can't really argue with any of the picks. As a BMW enthusiast since 1971 I have to admit that the novocain-infused 3/4 Series bores me to tears. The two cars on the list I could actually see myself owning are the Cayman S and the Fiesta ST. If Mazda sees fit to build Mazdaspeed versions of the 3 and 6 I'll also give them a hard look- but not before.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-feature

Cool/Glad to see both Mazda3 and Mazda6 in the list
smile.gif

Mazda would be there exactly because of their focus on the driving experience. They deserve the recognition in this age of numb and unresponsive cars.Bravo to them.

DRIVE the new ATS or the new CTS and you may end up wanting one. I haven't driven anything that could match the ATS for driver satisfaction in a LONG time.

BMW is not what they used to be. I am amazed at how quickly they forgot themselves...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
DRIVE the new ATS or the new CTS and you may end up wanting one. I haven't driven anything that could match the ATS for driver satisfaction in a LONG time.

BMW is not what they used to be. I am amazed at how quickly they forgot themselves...

I completely agree about the Cadillacs. Great cars!

Ironically, I said the same thing about BMW a few months back. I was in the minority then, but it seems more people are coming to see that now.

C&D will always include Accord and BMW 3 series out of habit these days - there used to be a time that they deserved it truly, though; NOT disputing that.
Currently, the Mazda6 (*** IMPO *** after test driving both) outperforms the Accord in so many levels, and it won against the Accord so many comparos I've lost count;
not to mention it also won 3rd place in world car design awards this year, only behind Aston Martin Vanquish (2nd place) and Jaguar XF (1st place). That's quite a feat, when you consider the difference in price range of the cars it lost to.

Yes I agree, only 1 of them (Mazda 6 or Accord) should've been chosen.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: whip

Ironically, I said the same thing about BMW a few months back. I was in the minority then, but it seems more people are coming to see that now.

I've been saying it ever since I drove an F10 a couple of years ago- and some seat time in the F30 confirmed my worst fears.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Mazda would be there exactly because of their focus on the driving experience. They deserve the recognition in this age of numb and unresponsive cars.Bravo to them.

Well said on both accounts.

- I am pretty glad to own a more 'real' BMW (E46 3 series coupe w/ performance package, and all made in Regensburg, Germany), and to have chosen the 2014 Mazda6 for the wifey. It's been a great car so far.

The only BMW i'd buy right now, if I had to, is a 1-series coupe or a 335is - even with those, I'd hate the dash/interior and too much electronics/no dipsticks, etc. Their current offerings (except for the M cars perhaps), really are a far cry from the straightforward, solid offerings that made them popular as the benchmark for sports sedans that could still be great DDs.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

The only BMW i'd buy right now, if I had to, is a 1-series coupe or a 335is - even with those, I'd hate the dash/interior and too much electronics/no dipsticks, etc. Their current offerings (except for the M cars perhaps), really are a far cry from the straightforward, solid offerings that made them popular as the benchmark for sports sedans that could still be great DDs.

I would take a Z4 M Coupe or maybe an E92 M3, but that's it. My Mazdaspeed 3-FWD and all-is a much more engaging drive than any F10 or F30 I have driven. I think Mazda is much akin to BMW during the 1962-1975 time frame in that they are building practical reasonably priced cars that are a lot of fun to drive.

I don't know what my next DD/track toy will be- I'm considering everything from a 500 Abarth toa Fiesta ST to a Cayman S to a Boss 302 to a NISMO 370Z.
Bi-polar car shopper- that would be me...

The M cars are pretty good still; true, but I can never justify them as practical DDs, but that's just in my case.
(I find the E46 with performance package well balanced in being sporty enough but also a very affordable daily driver...it sort of bridges the gap (a bit) between the regular 330 E46 and the M)

True what you said about Mazda; No wonder why Mazda is touted as the most loved Japanese car maker by European drivers...

Absolutely no question in my mind this generation of Accord belongs on that list due to it's performance, packaging, and design however I do question why it remained on the list in '11 and '12 when the shortcomings of the previous generation became more clear.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Absolutely no question in my mind this generation of Accord belongs on that list due to it's performance, packaging, and design however I do question why it remained on the list in '11 and '12 when the shortcomings of the previous generation became more clear.

The previous generation was still one of the better sedans you could buy. The Fusion was probably a better car back then. The Camry wasn't. The Malibu or Altima weren't, at least in my opinion. The 6 wasn't either, again, at least in my opinion. Compared to today's Accord, the old one was deficient in a few ways. But so were the old Fusion, the old 6, the old Malibu, etc. The bar is simply higher these days, and ALL of the sedans are better than they used to be.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Two GMs? Can't be. The Corvette is to big and heavy according to some on BITOG.
smile.gif

It's clearly one of the best performance values out there, and one of the best performance machines out there period, regardless of price. This makes it absolutely appropriate for a 10 best award in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
however I do question why it remained on the list in '11 and '12 when the shortcomings of the previous generation became more clear.
that's exactly why i said they always include it out of habit, whether it deserves it or not. C&D was always up Honda's butt IMO.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that the MkVI generation of Golf/GTI is still making these lists. Maybe I shouldn't be, because it is a fantastic car. A perfect compromise of sport and civility.

If only I didn't have that constant nag in the back of my mind whispering... "it's going to break, and when it does, it's going to suck.... you should have bought an Si."

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
It is hard to convey sarcasm on the internet
lol.gif
grin2.gif

Was your statement sarcastic because you can't imagine why some people have a preference for smaller, lighter weight cars?

The Corvette is deserving of praise because it's an incredible machine, but if it's not the car some want for X, Y, or Z reasons why make snide comments about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back