Remote Start: Jeep vs. Mercedes

Our subaru remote start kills the engine when you open the door. It's frustrating because I avoid remote starts to avoid double starting. In the long run probably doesn't matter.
What subaru?
My 22 forester works like the jeep mentioned
you have to enter the car.. and put your foot on brake then hit the start button to "go"
stays running whole time.

the 20 elantra is straight backwards from that and I always shut it off by accident.
(you hit start button without brake or something like that)

Thinking back, I believe the only vehicles I've had with remote start were GM or Chrysler and they both operated as OP described his Jeep operating. The first was a 2008 Saturn Aura and even back then they got it right.

What subaru?
My 22 forester works like the jeep mentioned
you have to enter the car.. and put your foot on brake then hit the start button to "go"
stays running whole time.

the 20 elantra is straight backwards from that and I always shut it off by accident.
(you hit start button without brake or something like that)
2015 forester

While my 2014 Grand Cherokee had remote start and I'd use it often, only about 2/3 of the time would it turn the A/C on. Mildly infuriating when it's 110* outside. Didn't matter what setting I had it previously set to be it Auto or Low, fan speed high or low etc.

While my 2014 Grand Cherokee had remote start and I'd use it often, only about 2/3 of the time would it turn the A/C on. Mildly infuriating when it's 110* outside. Didn't matter what setting I had it previously set to be it Auto or Low, fan speed high or low etc.
My 2011 Durango would always go to whatever I last left it, but I never used auto temp or fan control. The 300 and van were the same way.

Is it possible remote start is illegal in Germany where it is considered unnecessary idling. Guess is US wanted it so they retrofitted what they had with a compromise.

Both the Chevy & VW stay running. Truck won't let you leave until the key is inserted; VW will just shut off if you try.

Both also will turn heated seats/steering wheel and defrost automatically including the rear window & mirrors if so equipped.

The truck doesn't even care if it's locked I think from the keyfob/app.

When I added a "Bulldog" remote start to a 95 Saturn, I had to wire the brake light switch so I could program it, using various numbers of pedal taps. Since I was compelled to wire it properly and not lazily, it worked as one should: Start the car, then enter it and turn the key to "on" before pressing the brake to shift it into drive. Kept kids and thieves from rolling away in cars, and it only has to start once.

Now my Prius Prime has "Push AC" on the fob so it can pre-condition the interior. Great, except the heat pump only works above 14 degrees F, and it won't work on "pure defrost". It's best option is def + floor. It won't run the gas engine, presumably so it doesn't create carbon monoxide, so it's a pretty stupid integration, albeit one that only costs a button and some software.

The GM's and Jeep I drove are like your Jeep, engine stays running. My Ram same thing. Toyota (in the Tundra anyway) shuts off when you open the door 🤦‍♂️
What is the point of remote start of the engine cuts off upon opening door? I can see opening doors without keys and that means the vehicle should remain locked unless the key holder unlocks it and and gearshift should remained in park unless a proximity key is detected. I mean, they came up with the gimmick to unlock doors when you walk close to it. That confused me big time with a rental car as i had to ask a coworker to go check to make sure the car was locked since we’re parking in inner city with tons of expensive gears in the trunk.

I recall not hearing about these second start em requirement when auto-start was done electronically instead of app. My next vehicle better not have apps outside of Apple CarPlay.

Every vehicle we’ve had (10) with remote start kept the engine running when you open the door. I knew Toyotas made you restart which seems ridiculous.

What is the point of remote start of the engine cuts off upon opening door? I can see opening doors without keys and that means the vehicle should remain locked unless the key holder unlocks it and and gearshift should remained in park unless a proximity key is detected. I mean, they came up with the gimmick to unlock doors when you walk close to it. That confused me big time with a rental car as i had to ask a coworker to go check to make sure the car was locked since we’re parking in inner city with tons of expensive gears in the trunk.

I recall not hearing about these second start em requirement when auto-start was done electronically instead of app. My next vehicle better not have apps outside of Apple CarPlay.

I don't have much faith in the future. My next car probably won't even turn on the windshield wipers without a mobile connection and a monthly subscription.

These guys can take such a simple concept and ruin it so easily all in the name of profit.

Another example of us being the beta testers for industry.
After some reasonable period of time, auto makers should offer resetting operational parameters among those you've mentioned.
Of course the system has to include changeable parameters designed in in the first place.

From these descriptions, it's hard to pick a winner as both have their appeal.

I remember parking lot attendants ALWAYS shutting the engine when they delivered my car. They had to recognize me and remember to leave it running.

Beta tester for the app maybe. Our 2014 odyssey came with remote start. We’ve used it maybe five times ever. It’s a horribly wasteful practice. But the main issue is that it operates like OP said the C43 does. It shuts the engine off when the door is unlocked. Unnecessary practice in the age of transponder keys and RFID or whatever communication they use for push button start. Why would I want to turn off the car just to cycle the battery again?

I’d much rather it stay on, and self shut off if it doesn’t see the key or some other confrontation in n seconds.

So Toyota, MB and my old parking lot attendants shut 'em off....likely for "safety reasons'.
With no data, I gotta leave my brain open to the chance that 'they've learned the hard way'.
People can do such boner head things...perhaps climbing into a vehicle with a running engine is a proven danger.

Liability reasons for sure, in case of parking lot attendants. If you take control of the vehicle, have a brain fart and hit something it will make a big difference if they handed you a running vehicle or one that's shut off. And you know how there would be an ambulance chaser on it right away....

Isn't there a manual lock release?

On the 8 speed ZF, the manual release only pulls it out of park. The shifter is completely electronic and won't engage a gear unless the ignition is on which it is not during a remote start.

On the 8 speed ZF, the manual release only pulls it out of park. The shifter is completely electronic and won't engage a gear unless the ignition is on which it is not during a remote start.

Right so those can keep the engine running while the door opens. But others?

Is it possible remote start is illegal in Germany where it is considered unnecessary idling. Guess is US wanted it so they retrofitted what they had with a compromise.
yes it is, that's why Webasto is popular. Way more effective to. But it eats the power of the battery

Back