Remote Start: Jeep vs. Mercedes

I have to say that my Jeep’s remote start implementation is much better than the setup in the C43. Both cars use a proprietary app to start the car, and both vehicles must be locked to initiate the process. However, when you unlock the C43 the engine shuts off. In contrast, the Jeep remains running but the gear selection is locked out; you have to have the key fob and press the start button again in order to select a gear.
These are the first vehicles I’ve owned with that feature so I don’t know how other automakers implement it.

Another example of us being the beta testers for industry.
After some reasonable period of time, auto makers should offer resetting operational parameters among those you've mentioned.
Of course the system has to include changeable parameters designed in in the first place.

From these descriptions, it's hard to pick a winner as both have their appeal.

I remember parking lot attendants ALWAYS shutting the engine when they delivered my car. They had to recognize me and remember to leave it running.

So Toyota, MB and my old parking lot attendants shut 'em off....likely for "safety reasons'.
With no data, I gotta leave my brain open to the chance that 'they've learned the hard way'.
People can do such boner head things...perhaps climbing into a vehicle with a running engine is a proven danger.

Those are called lazy implementations. Most likely just to tick off that option for people looking for it. Who tests a remote start during the buying process? Most likely no one. So then you find out is sucks afterwards.

My Dodge Grand Caravan remote start implementation is awesome. Not only it keeps the engine running, but if the temperature is low enough, it will turn on the heated wheel, heated driver seat and turn on the defrost.
Gee, who would've though people using the remote start feature would actually want their cabin pre-warmed? Crazy stuff.

So Toyota, MB and my old parking lot attendants shut 'em off....likely for "safety reasons'.
With no data, I gotta leave my brain open to the chance that 'they've learned the hard way'.
People can do such boner head things...perhaps climbing into a vehicle with a running engine is a proven danger.
There is something called the brake interlock. It's been used literally for decades. You press the brake pedal and the cars shuts off, if the key has not been inserted or detected. They are simply lazy to do it properly.

I have to say that my Jeep’s remote start implementation is much better than the setup in the C43. Both cars use a proprietary app to start the car, and both vehicles must be locked to initiate the process. However, when you unlock the C43 the engine shuts off. In contrast, the Jeep remains running but the gear selection is locked out; you have to have the key fob and press the start button again in order to select a gear.
These are the first vehicles I’ve owned with that feature so I don’t know how other automakers implement it.
My Atlas does same like JEEP. I hate idling but comes handy at -39 windchill with two small kids.
Not sure why MB and some other manufacturers execute it like that.

What's the difference with respect to safety when I climb in to a running car that was remote started, or left running when I got out?

My Rubicon is the fastest to warm up vehicle I’ve ever owned …

Yeah, I hate that in my Mercedes as well. I mean, even if you open the trunk, the thing shuts down immediately.
I wish it was more like the Jeep system too, in that one SINGLE respect!

My 2015 Genesis stayed running after starting from the app.

Can't remote start my 2018 Genesis, as they stupidly made the service rely on 3G network so...

My wife's 230i stays running but one must press the start button to put the car in gear.

Our subaru remote start kills the engine when you open the door. It's frustrating because I avoid remote starts to avoid double starting. In the long run probably doesn't matter.
I think the engine kill is so that people can walk up to it to steal the vehicle while warming up.

Reactions: TCL
Back