Faulty Volvo key fob remote?

2004 V70 with Volvo key remote #8688799: https://parts.volvocars.ca/p/Volvo__/Keyless-Entry-Transmitter/42814716/8688799.html

Issue:
The vehicle suddenly only responds to the primary key fob when the buttons (lock, unlock, trunk, lights, panic) are pushed 2-4 times. This did not happen before, and this does not occur with the secondary key fob that is rarely used.

Troubleshooting so far:
1. CR2032 battery voltage was at 3.2v, but I replaced it with new (3.3v) with no difference
2. Swapped batteries with the working secondary remote (3.19v), no difference with either remote
3. Opened up the remote and the micro switch solder joints seem fine
4. DMM detects continuity at each micro switch when each switch was pressed multiple times
5. Battery contact points seem fine

It seems that the switches are fine based on the above, and the issue occurs with every button. Perhaps the antenna? I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff and would appreciate any input or feedback.

I looked up the FCC ID (LQNP2T-APU) for reference if it is helpful. There are schematics there that might make more sense to you: https://fccid.io/LQNP2T-APU#Exhibits-2

1706722364693.jpeg

1706722610239.jpg

1706722635200.jpg

Last edited:
Year and model of you Volvo would help. P2 cars were know to have a faulty antenna ring that prevented the remote from being read. In those, or in newer cars, remotes need to be programmed to the ECU, and that can only be checked with VIDA. I would find a mechanic with VIDA and verify which remotes are in what slots for the ECU. It may be a software issue.

I would try flushing the entire thing with CRC electrical contact cleaner. Work the buttons a few times, flush more...repeat.
If that doesn't help, yeah, just invest in a new one. $200 CAD is practically free in USD. :)

Or consider a remote control repair service, either on a Volvo forum or online.
I found a guy that fixed both of my BMW remotes for $50 each, including return shipping. Though mine only required new rechargeable batteries to be soldered in, his service included anything else required. Saved me the $200 each for replacements.

Year and model of you Volvo would help. P2 cars were know to have a faulty antenna ring that prevented the remote from being read. In those, or in newer cars, remotes need to be programmed to the ECU, and that can only be checked with VIDA. I would find a mechanic with VIDA and verify which remotes are in what slots for the ECU. It may be a software issue.

2004 V70. I should add that the remote was working fine before, and the issue suddenly started occurring.

I was hoping it would be a simple thing like a faulty micro switch or solder joint but it seems that a replacement remote is inevitable. Apparently I can program the remote myself? I plan on keeping the key blade and immobilizer half and just replace the remote portion.

I would try flushing the entire thing with CRC electrical contact cleaner. Work the buttons a few times, flush more...repeat.
If that doesn't help, yeah, just invest in a new one. $200 CAD is practically free in USD. :)

Or consider a remote control repair service, either on a Volvo forum or online.
I found a guy that fixed both of my BMW remotes for $50 each, including return shipping. Though mine only required new rechargeable batteries to be soldered in, his service included anything else required. Saved me the $200 each for replacements.
I replaced the micro switches in my remote myself.

Well, for seemingly no reason, the remote started functioning normally again. Volvo works in mysterious ways...

Well, for seemingly no reason, the remote started functioning normally again. Volvo works in mysterious ways...
Clearly you haven't learnt the value of patience when working with Volvo.
She's a mysterious and mythical creature and should be treated as such.
🦄

Back