Carry a spare key-fob battery in your glove box.

I had a 2013 Ford Fusion that I finally traded in in 2019 that was on the original batteries in the remotes. And it was my daily driver.
Are you sure the dealers didn't change it? When I take my car in for service, Mercedes automatically changes the key fob batteries for free and they don't even mention it. Only way I knew they changed it was because I had Energizer batteries in there and when I checked later, it was a Panasonic. Although I remember one of my older key fobs used a 12 volt battery that lasted for years.

Are you sure the dealers didn't change it? When I take my car in for service, Mercedes automatically changes the key fob batteries for free and they don't even mention it. Only way I knew they changed it was because I had Energizer batteries in there and when I checked later, it was a Panasonic. Although I remember one of my older key fobs used a 12 volt battery that lasted for years.
It only went in to the dealer once for a windshield being replaced by my insurance in 2018, 3 years after I first owned it. So, I mean, it's possible but knowing Ford, I highly doubt it.

Replaced batteries for my 2006 Acura TL (non-push button) just before I sold the car last year out of courtesy to buyer, lasted over 14 years.
Still have not replaced current key fob batteries on 2015 MDX (push button) since purchase 3.5 years ago. Both vehicles are serviced by ME since purchase except the TL had been to a dealer for a recall on 2007.

Just bought a pack of (12) Duracell 2032 coin batteries from Costco, they're made in China. But I expect them to have shelf life of 10 years or so.

The RFID chip on the key or remote (what some call a key fob) gets energized when close enough to the ignition lock or remote insertion slot. The battery is needed only for other function like remote locks and panic function. Some vehicles, like my Miss Moneypenny, come with remotes/electronic keys that recharge once inserted into the slot.

Right. Minis and BMWs (without keyless option) charge their keyfobs when put into the slot. My GTI would show a 'low keyfob battery' message on its Nav display. It never happened in more than four years of ownership, but I know it did if necessary. Btw, the GTI reminds me to take my phone when leaving my car. Quite helpful for me, much more than the 'low battery' warning. On former cars I knew when the battery was getting low - the remote slowly lost range. My Porsche keys don't have any batteries.

It happened to me this year. My Jaguar's Key Fob battery went dead & the system never recognized & wasn't able to start the car.

It's still a Jaguar.....

Never buy a Chinese made coin battery even though it is from a reputable brand. Japan, USA & Switzerland made batteries are the best.

Which batteries are made in Switzerland?

I have only been through two sets of batteries on my two fobs for my 2005 Civic. Five months is crazy short.

Right. Minis and BMWs (without keyless option) charge their keyfobs when put into the slot. My GTI would show a 'low keyfob battery' message on its Nav display. It never happened in more than four years of ownership, but I know it did if necessary. Btw, the GTI reminds me to take my phone when leaving my car. Quite helpful for me, much more than the 'low battery' warning. On former cars I knew when the battery was getting low - the remote slowly lost range. My Porsche keys don't have any batteries.

It's still a Jaguar.....

Which batteries are made in Switzerland?
Renata Swiss made batteries :) One of the best. The battery that is exclusively for Swiss made watches like Tag Heuer, Tissot, Rado, Brietling, Gucci, Victorinox etc. If you bought a Swiss made battery powered watch (quartz), most likely it has a Renata battery in it.
https://www.renata.com/

Last edited:
Back