Buying a second hand DirecTV HD receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I buy one of these off ebay, I see some of them come with an access/smart card while others don't. Those that have the card, does that mean I will not need to pay a monthly subscription fee for the HD service?

FYI, I currently have DirecTV service but only non-HD receiver.

If the one your getting has an access card or not is not the problem. You will have to be issued a new one upon activation. Kinda like a sim card in a cell phone. The problem you are going to face is the actual device able to be activated. Most if not all directv equipment is leased/rented and they need to be returned to directv at the end of ones closure of account. You need to ask for the devices s/n so that you may call directv before bidding so that your not left not being able to activate the device. Directv WILL NOT activate old or newish leased receivers instead they will demand you return the item to them and they will try to sell you another device at full price leaving you with out money on both ends.

There is also no way around the lease/activation receiver fee. The only way around it is to upgrade to the hd dvr premium plan on you account which they will do anyway because your first dvr is free. Its added in to the plan. I have two dvr's and four hd recivers with directv and have had directv for over 12 years. I never purchase equipment off of ebay or craigslist for the matter as too many have run in to this problem and directv is not sympathetic on this.

I was actually looking at a brand new H24 receiver on Amazon for $97, but if this does not spare me the $6/month lease fee, then it's kind of pointless to get my own receiver. Why would anyone buy it?

On top of that, there is a $10/month HD service fee, correct?

Yes for the 10.00 fee but if you are replacing the receiver that you are already use then if only an extra 10.00 as your first receiver is free so there is not a receiver fee and 10.00 fee just 10.00. But keep in mind you will never own any of your equipment either. That 97.00 is just a lease price. Directv NEVER lets you buy the equipment upfront. The equipment may have an end of life date which directv will not require you to mail it back but most of the time they will have you send back all equipment. So the 97.00 is for lease/rent. And it will either make a new 1 year contract or extend the one you may already have. If you already have 1yr left on your contract it will not add another it will just start anew.

The HR24 is a super awesome dvr i wish i had two of those models. But i have an HR24 and a HR21. The HR24 is so small and compact i love it. 97 dollars is a great price too as when i upgrade all my stuff in the spring I paid 199 which is the going price.

I belive when i talked to the CS rep i pleaded about the 10 fee and they told me if i did auto pay they would wave the 10 fee and they did but you may call about that. Your going to have to call any way.

Things are always changing with Direct TV stuff. The newest boxes need only one coax from the satellite. And there is an adapter to connect the DVR to wireless internet.

Yeah forgot to mention that a tech will more than likely have to come out and put in a SWM switch in the attic and connect the internet with the new adapter/box which the hr24 should come with but not all the time. Directv will send for free. You should probably stick with ordering from directv and setting up a time for installation.

Their HD DVR receivers are really low quality, imo, and even if you could get it activated, I wouldn't count on it running long enough to make it worthwhile.

Last decent DirectTV receiver I had was a Hughes / Tivo HD unit that I paid through the nose for. They made it obsolete after providing about a half dozen HD channels.

I'm still ticked off.

In any case beware of DirecTV. They are VERY deceptive about anything from terms of a contract to prices, to well just about anything you need to know.

I had their service for two years (two year contract) and after the two years (paid in full, HONORED ALL MY OBLIGATIONS TO THE CONTRACT) I called in to cancel, as their prices were way too high for what I was getting (SD service)

I was transferred to a "retentions" CSR.

In all my 30 years of dealing with CSRs this guy was the absolute most obnoxious, threatening, shady character I have ever encountered in dealing with ANY company...seriously.

I asked to cancel, the clown asks what it would take to keep me with DirecTV. I tell him that I only want to cancel as the value is not there. He INSISTS I tell him what I will accept to keep my as a customer, I tell him please just cancel my account. Again he insists that they can meet my offer to stay. Getting worn down I state that I will stay if I can keep my current package 250 channels and pay monthly 25$ with NO contact. He puts me on hold for about 10 minutes and then returns to tell me they cannot meet that request. I again say cancel, he then has the gall to threaten me by yelling that" they will find all the PPVs you ordered on your box since it was not connected to a phone line".

I replied that they will only find ONE PPV that was ordered in error and I had called a year ago to note it was in error and they had removed the cost.

He finally cancels my account after a harrowing 25 minute call and perhaps 10 times of requesting cancellation.

I was so disgusted with the call that I wrote a return receipt requested snail mail to the then CEO Mike White, and asked what was going on with their CSRs behavior and requested that he respond to my query. After a couple of weeks I received the confirmation of receipt via the USPS, after that NOT ONE WORD FROM THE CEO EXECUTIVE OFFICES ON THE MATTER.

I will NEVER be using DirecTV again, they are shady crooks.

Thanks all.

I had an option to get a no upfront cost HD receiver with a 12-month contract commitment, so I went for it. It'll be $16/month ($6 equipment lease fee + $10 HD service fee). I just don't know which particular HD box they'll send me.

I just couldn't bare the [censored] SD picture quality on our new 42" TV.
smile.gif

I bought a second hand DishNetwork receiver on eBay. My old receiver had literally died of old age.

I sent a message to the seller before the auction ended, and he had upgraded to all HD equipment (this was three or four years ago), and it had simply been disconnected by the DishNetwork installer, and set aside.

Since he had switched over to the HD equipment, his service had been switched over, and that there should be a $0 balance on the receiver.

So, I bought it for $24 and the receiver arrived a few days later. For kicks and giggles, I hooked it up in preparation to call DishNetwork to get it activated, and it still worked... with every channel and movie channel turned on.

It worked for 4 months before it finally went dead. Probably close to $400 of TV for just $24.... what a deal!

Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
The HR24 is a super awesome dvr i wish i had two of those models. But i have an HR24 and a HR21. The HR24 is so small and compact i love it. 97 dollars is a great price too as when i upgrade all my stuff in the spring I paid 199 which is the going price.

Well, DirecTV sent me the H21 box. One thing I noticed is that it only supports 1080i. Does H24 support 1080p? My tv is capable of 1080p, but I'm not sure if DirecTV actually broadcasts any content in 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back