buying a car for over MSRP

But she spent $900 on an alternator, battery and oil change....so of course that means sell and blow $5k over MSRP on a new Kia!

Sounds like she's just tired of the OddY vs a any real reason to dump it.
Losing faith this early in the game is very convenient when you just want something new.
Good news is she'll get a great price for it - bad news is the kia dealer will take all that from her.

On Over MSRP - I listen to people absolutely moan about the 35K tesla they couldn't buy- but then when they could - they didnt.
These same poeple have nothing to say about the shoddy dealer practice of gouging over MSRP on everything else.
I have yet to see an actual 59K C8 corvette.

Last edited:
So I need to limit to only vehicles that have front end and drivetrain problems, poor fit up , electrical faults, a large look outside but very little useable space inside and a bad ride?

That’s a long list.
You are spewing non-sense.....list another comparable vehicle and their MSRP for comparison sake or go away.

Sounds like she's just tired of the OddY vs a any real reason to dump it.
Losing faith this early in the game is very convenient when you just want something new.
Good news is she'll get a great price for it - bad news is the kia dealer will take all that from her.

That’s what it seems like to me…

Unfortunately, that “feeling” can lead to spending way, way too much money.

Report that dealer to Kia and demand to only pay MSRP. From what I have heard Hyundai Kia do not condone scummy dealer over charging. You will have to be the squeaky wheel on this one. I would move from the top down on this one. Manufacture in multiple phone #s to stir up the nest, then to the district manager and then to the owner of the dealership then to the sales manager. I would also call Hyundai as they own 35 to 40% of Kia and they may have strict stance. Stir the nest.
You wouldn't do any of those things, hoss.

So I need to limit to only vehicles that have front end and drivetrain problems, poor fit up , electrical faults, a large look outside but very little useable space inside and a bad ride?

That’s a long list.

Just calling a spade a spade, Kia seems to have plenty of problems and overpriced parts but the extreme fanboys give them a pass even though they have about the same quality as an aging Jeep Renegade

View attachment 75601
However "Customer tends to agree about (the various issues)" How many customers 10,? 100? 1000? 10,000? This is where Consumers Reports and the like are totally useless. What was the number of surveys sent? Its a pretty big "blanket statement" to make an assumption if they only sent out a few hundred surveys.

Last edited:
However "Customer tends to agree about (the various issues)" How many customers 10,? 100? 1000? 10,000? This is where Consumers Reports and the like are totally useless. What was the number of surveys sent? Its a pretty big "blanket statement" to make an assumption if they only sent out a few hundred surveys.
The screenshot he posted is not even from CR. It's from some lawyer's website, looking to make a quick buck from lemon law legal advice and/or a lawsuit.

The screenshot he posted is not even from CR. It's from some lawyer's website, looking to make a quick buck from lemon law legal advice and/or a lawsuit.

Yea-Rmay635703 Has pretty much zero credibility with me now. I'm blocking him. He is a waste of time.

Report that dealer to Kia and demand to only pay MSRP. From what I have heard Hyundai Kia do not condone scummy dealer over charging. You will have to be the squeaky wheel on this one. I would move from the top down on this one. Manufacture in multiple phone #s to stir up the nest, then to the district manager and then to the owner of the dealership then to the sales manager. I would also call Hyundai as they own 35 to 40% of Kia and they may have strict stance. Stir the nest.

Monumental waste of time. You will get no joy from that stance.

As a manufacturer dealing with reseller/ dealers - You cannot tell anyone that buys something what they can sell it for after they bought it.

You can refuse to sign then up to continue to being a reseller, but you cannot dictate what they sell product they own for.

Daughter is about 39 (I forget) and manages a claim portfolio of a few billion dollars for a major US insurance company so she is well versed on money and finance.

But is busy with 2 kids and just wants a reliable car.

I think she realizes any money paid over MSRP is lost money.

Just because I tell her to look at a Honda Pilot or Subaru Ascent does not mean she won't think they are both ugly and look like an old station wagon.

I can only provide advice.

Last edited:
You wouldn't do any of those things, hoss.
BS I wouldn't. The last thing I would do is lay down like a sheep. I would stir some smit up. They are going to have see and hear me for that extra money. I have done it before. Got screwed by a digital answering company and I called the manufactures rep, faxed him my picket permit, and a picture of 4x8 ft professional sign. I said we can do this the easy way or the hard way. I have 2 weeks vacation and I will be there everyday for 12 hours. I want my $79 back for an digital answering machine that you could not understand the message that they would not take back. Well, they took it back and I received my $79 back.

BS I wouldn't. The last thing I would do is lay down like a sheep. I would stir some smit up. They are going to have see and hear me for that extra money. I have done it before. Got screwed by a digital answering company and I called the manufactures rep, faxed him my picket permit, and a picture of 4x8 ft professional sign. I said we can do this the easy way or the hard way. I have 2 weeks vacation and I will be there everyday for 12 hours. I want my $79 back for an digital answering machine that you could not understand the message that they would not take back. Well, they took it back and I received my $79 back.

What year was this answering machine incident?

What year was this answering machine incident?
1985ish. Bought a factory refurb, nothing was said about no return. The unit came to me and the sales slip was stamped with a BIG red "NO RETURNS". It was not functional, played nice with 3 different people explaining and even letting them hear what I was hearing over the phone. They kept telling me NO RETURNS. I said this is malfunctioning, you sold me a worthless POS. NO RETURNS. Well, I was going to die on that hill and they knew it.

Last edited:
The market is weird right now. If she gets $4K more than "normal" for the Odyssey, then she is basically paying MSRP for the Telluride. I looked up my run of the mill Chevy, and it currently has a blue book value that is $4K more than it was last year. A Honda Odyssey should be doing better than that.

One thing to consider is that some banks won't finance a vehicle for more than MSRP. Depending on the lender, that might be an issue requiring a larger down payment to get the financed amount under MSRP.

Hyundai and KIA dealers aren't exactly the easiest to deal with. We have one around here that has for years marked up all Hyundai vehicles $10,000 over list. Then they run radio ads claiming to offer $10,000 off on all new Hyundais. When you get there, they are selling at MSRP. They simply refer to the fact that they are removing the "market adjustment of $10,000" as a basis for the advertised discount.

When I bought a new Hyundai years ago, I had to go back and forth with the dealer for hours to get a discount. They also asked me to sign an "intent to purchase" half way through the negotiation process. They claimed it made them feel better that we were negotiating in good faith. Whatever. I wanted the car so it didn't really matter one way or the other. I ultimately did get a discount on a new, redesigned model but it was a struggle. Ultimately took almost 4 hours to finally get out of there. Five years later I went back and looked at the redesign of the same model, and they couldn't give them away. They offered to sell it to me for $5,000 off of sticker and I walked (didn't really like the car and couldn't see myself driving it for years.)

It's one thing to ask to return a defective product. It's another thing to raise stink about price being too high on a product that you haven't yet purchased. If OP's daughter doesn't buy that vehicle, a dozen others will. Kia doesn't care who buys it.

It's one thing to ask to return a defective product. It's another thing to raise stink about price being too high on a product that you haven't yet purchased. If OP's daughter doesn't buy that vehicle, a dozen others will. Kia doesn't care who buys it.
Sure as heck I will push back on a too high of price. BAHHHH. Why do you think I always question Hyundai, they don't get any fanboy break from me. Call them out when they make stupid design choices. Don't ignore it. The new Kona N USA gets garbage heavy UGLY, cast rims. Europe gets lightweight forged nice rims. The USA always get garbage option choices, time call that out and push it around. No AWD too. Start asking why we get crap for the same price. Bring it up so other will see it too. Sure they don't care what I say, butv guess what they are going to hear what I think of those cheapskate UGLY heavy rims, they know they are junk and they are screwing the USA. I am not going to look the otherway.

Last edited:

That’s a long list.

Just calling a spade a spade, Kia seems to have plenty of problems and overpriced parts but the extreme fanboys give them a pass even though they have about the same quality as an aging Jeep Renegade

View attachment 75601
That aside, it's perfect?

If she wants the vehicle and can afford it go ahead and buy it. If everyone waited for low prices on everything there wouldn't be any market fluctuations of any kind. It will be a year or more before the car market stabilizes. In my case I will wait it out then pounce.

Back