buying a car for over MSRP

My daughter is having problems with her Honda Odyssey and is looking at a new Kia Telluride. A $40K+ car to start. But good reviews. The dealers she has talked to want $4K over MSRP some even more for a upgrade trim model.

So say in 2022 things get more normal and cars are once again selling for MSRP or below. When you try and determine a price on the 2021 she bought paying over MSRP will that extra she paid come into play when determining the price of the car or just money lost?

I am thinking its money lost as a person would say when buy a year old Telluride that is now $10K less than the person paid for it when for a little more I can get a new 2022 one.

I am making up some numbers here as an example, but as long as the car prices go back to MSRP or below in a year or two I think the extra paid on top of MSRP right now is money lost.

When you try and determine a price on the 2021 she bought paying over MSRP will that extra she paid come into play when determining the price of the car or just money lost?
Come into play where ?

I am thinking its money lost
Yes, it's money lost. Effectively, she's "overpaying" for the car (through no fault of her own except timing)

People are happy to pay MSRP right now, especially on harder to find models. Unfortunately, I think once this market starts to return to normal the "one price model" will be etched into consumer's minds. This is the price no negotiation take it or leave it. I like to haggle on price.

What’s wrong with the Odyssey? How much to fix it? I doubt the bill will be $4k, which is 100% lost paying over MSRP.

Now, as @Quattro Pete said, she should get what she wants, IF this is a want and she has the requisite funds without stretching her thin.

Went with my aunt to the dealer in very early 2020 to look at Tellurides, they were $5k over sticker no negotiation at that time.

Only $4k over sticker? Not bad in this day and age.

Just sold my car yesterday for $7k over MSRP 🤷‍♂️

My daughter is having problems with her Honda Odyssey and is looking at a new Kia Telluride. A $40K+ car to start. But good reviews. The dealers she has talked to want $4K over MSRP some even more for a upgrade trim model.

So say in 2022 things get more normal and cars are once again selling for MSRP or below. When you try and determine a price on the 2021 she bought paying over MSRP will that extra she paid come into play when determining the price of the car or just money lost?

I am thinking its money lost as a person would say when buy a year old Telluride that is now $10K less than the person paid for it when for a little more I can get a new 2022 one.

I am making up some numbers here as an example, but as long as the car prices go back to MSRP or below in a year or two I think the extra paid on top of MSRP right now is money lost.
Report that dealer to Kia and demand to only pay MSRP. From what I have heard Hyundai Kia do not condone scummy dealer over charging. You will have to be the squeaky wheel on this one. I would move from the top down on this one. Manufacture in multiple phone #s to stir up the nest, then to the district manager and then to the owner of the dealership then to the sales manager. I would also call Hyundai as they own 35 to 40% of Kia and they may have strict stance. Stir the nest.

Report that dealer to Kia and demand to only pay MSRP. From what I have heard Hyundai Kia do not condone scummy dealer over charging. You will have to be the squeaky wheel on this one. I would move from the top down on this one. Manufacture in multiple phone #s to stir up the nest, then to the district manager and then to the owner of the dealership then to the sales manager. I would also call Hyundai as they own 35 to 40% of Kia and they may have strict stance. Stir the nest.

Waste of time...they'll be laughing hysterically as they slam the phone down on him. Almost all the dealers are selling these over MSRP, I am sure corporate is well aware of the situation.

Prior to the current situation-most Tellurides were selling at MSRP-but not over. Again-if she can fix her current vehicle and wait 12 to 18 months she will be better off. If you fix it for $2,000.00 and wait a year she will still be ahead $2,000.00 (If they are selling them for $4,000.00 over). It's an absolutely terrible time to buy a vehicle new or used.

It may or not be money lost. What if the vehicle in question goes up more next year?
It is simply the market. MSRP is just a number. If someone is willing to pay the going price, then it's a deal. Otherwise ...

MSRP is an acronym for manufacturer's suggested retail price. It may or may not be the price you pay.
Regardless, I wish you and your daughter luck. I would fix the Oddy, if it is a reasonable fix.

I've generally had pretty good luck with Kia and Hyundai vehicles that I've owned in the past and I do think they make decent vehicles but I remember resale value being pretty terrible on them. That alone would dissuade me from wanting to pay over MSRP for one.

I've generally had pretty good luck with Kia and Hyundai vehicles that I've owned in the past and I do think they make decent vehicles but I remember resale value being pretty terrible on them. That alone would dissuade me from wanting to pay over MSRP for one.
The resale value now is close to other vehicles-in what ever category you buy. I have a Hyundai and looked up my wife's car-and then the comparable competitor-there is not much difference, less than $2,000.00. But under normal conditions-you will pay much less than a $2,000.00 difference when you buy.

But yes-down the road KBB & NADA isn't going to take in to account you paid whatever amount over sticker. Quite frankly-the Tellurides are worth MSRP-compared to the competition-that's why in pre-COVID buyers were paying MSRP.

The latest problem with the Odessey was an alternator and battery. Those with an oil change were a little over $900. Sounds high to me.

I have suggested a Subaru Ascent as an alternative to a Telluride.

Adding rising fuel prices to it and possibly normalization in supply chain in coming years an average us consumer likely will will find himself in dire situation given current elevated car loans

Nothing would happen. Supply and demand… demand for them is clearly very strong and the supply isn’t. It’s one thing to jack up the price of a car up when it isn’t a hot seller because the dealer thinks they have something special, it’s something else entirely when they’ve practically sold them as soon as the truck pulls into the lot…. And sometimes before the truck has even pulled into the lot.

Back