Busted control arm bolt. DIY or not?

I recently bought this car. It came like this. This bolt is normally torqued to about 101 ft lbs. I was thinking of using an irwin extractor bolt kit, but I think it may just fracture while trying to loosen it, compounding things further. I live in an apartment and have limited access to tools.

I have a drill and some bits, plus penetrating fluid. I don’t have a torch, welding, or any other power tools. Should I even bother or take this to a mechanic?

IMG_1755.jpeg

I would try to drill a small hole into the bolt to see if I can get a screw extractor started. I've done this a few times and it's worked every time but it is nerve-wrecking.

You will need penetrating fluid, a center punch, cobalt drill bits, preferably lefthanded ones, a screw extractor set, and a strong electric drill. I used a 20V DeWalt.

If you don't have the tools it's probably cheaper to have a pro remove the bolt.

I would try to drill a small hole into the bolt to see if I can get a screw extractor started. I've done this a few times and it's worked every time but it is nerve-wrecking.

You will need penetrating fluid, a center punch, cobalt drill bits, preferably lefthanded ones, a screw extractor set, and a strong electric drill. I used a 20V DeWalt.

If you don't have the tools it's probably cheaper to have a pro remove the bolt.
I am afraid cause this thing is torqued to 101 foot pounds. I am skeptical that an extractor will be able to survive it. Maybe I’ll ask the shop what they did after they finish.

Control arm? with that photo we have no idea what we are looking at!

The lack of any scratched paint below that broke what ever deal, makes one wonder what it is.

Maybe the head of a bolt fit up into that hole in that very thin material?

It almost looks like that is a sub frame mounting point? You will need a person that knows what they are doing to remove that.

Control arm? with that photo we have no idea what we are looking at!

The lack of any scratched paint below that broke what ever deal, makes one wonder what it is.

Maybe the head of a bolt fit up into that hole in that very thin material?

It almost looks like that is a sub frame mounting point? You will need a person that knows what they are doing to remove that.
It’s no. 7 in the diagram.

IMG_1770.jpeg

I am afraid cause this thing is torqued to 101 foot pounds. I am skeptical that an extractor will be able to survive it. Maybe I’ll ask the shop what they did after they finish.
The issue won’t be the installed torque, because, without the head, that torque is effectively zero.

But the fact that it is still there, and really rusted, suggests that it is rusted in place. It’s been broken for a while.

So, take it to a shop. A large diameter bolt like that, rusted in place, will take a lot of torque to overcome the rust. The heat from welding a nut on there will help with breaking it free.

Back