Busted control arm bolt. DIY or not?

Could it be a stud that is not threaded but some how welded to the unibody, and used to hold up that area of the sub frame?
If so that is a bit of major surgery to fix properly.
No. I ordered the Toyota OEM bolt for this control arm.

I really hope this problem doesn’t expose a web of disaster. I have a theory that someone tightened this thing with an impact wrench or something. By the way, there is no plastic covering. The picture shows the crossmember.

I’m taking this thing to a shop tomorrow.
Sorry, I thought it had a plastic under body shield. Looking at the picture more closely it appears something has shifted, can you remove the crossmember?

Sorry, I thought it had a plastic under body shield. Looking at the picture more closely it appears something has shifted, can you remove the crossmember?
i think it can be. Looking at this image. That’s where the broken control arm bolt goes into.

IMG_1787.jpeg

From that picture, it looks like a whole subframe is available. Can you just replace the whole subframe. Expensive and unexpected, yes, but would make the vehicle drivable.

It's unsafe to drive, but you've been driving it? How long was it like this before you noticed it?

Also to further what @GMBoy said, if they can't get it out they should at least quote Plan B which would be replacing the affected part(s) -- quite possibly with used/JY pieces.

If it threads into a captive nut, sometimes those aren't welded on but with a few tacks. I've accidentally ripped torsion bar xmember captive nuts from the frame of GMT800s with an impact turned up when I didn't realize they were tacked. I don't know how Toyota does it but a healthy .498 air hammer from below might blow the whole thing upward

Just throwing out suggestions as it seems your shop isn't particularly industrious or good at problem solving

From that picture, it looks like a whole subframe is available. Can you just replace the whole subframe. Expensive and unexpected, yes, but would make the vehicle drivable.
And again, a JY unit might be affordable. Impossible to say as used part prices vary wildly by region.

The shop should have at least started down this road to provide a quote. Even Eric O periodically visits his local Pick 'N Pull

Bolt vs hole seems way over/undersized. Does the shoulder of the bushing get drawn down into the opening?

• Love
Reactions: D60
I wonder what tools they lost in their attempts?

If nothing else, stubborn seized in bolts cannot defeat the blue flame… 😎

Unless there’s a reason you can’t use one on this.

another update: I spoke with the shop and told them about lowering the crossmember to get access to the bolt. They agreed with my suggestion and quoted a 4 hour job. Honestly I would do this job myself if I had a garage, but I don’t so. $660 to pull the cross member, extract the bolt and put in a new control arm.

It’s a lot for something this simple, but it’s worth it to me. There is nothing else wrong with this car and it runs perfectly. So I’m willing to pay this.

another update: I spoke with the shop and told them about lowering the crossmember to get access to the bolt. They agreed with my suggestion and quoted a 4 hour job. Honestly I would do this job myself if I had a garage, but I don’t so. $660 to pull the cross member, extract the bolt and put in a new control arm.

It’s a lot for something this simple, but it’s worth it to me. There is nothing else wrong with this car and it runs perfectly. So I’m willing to pay this.
Let us know how it goes!

My car is now fixed. No more clunking. They did exactly what I told them to do. Lowered the subframe. Mechanic told me the bolt came out easily with a vise grip. No torch needed. He even installed my new control arm without added charge. Now my beater drives flawlessly.

I changed the oil and manual transmission fluid to redline my-90. There was no metal at all in the transmission fluid. Drives great. It always helps to have a fun sporty car to commute to work. Makes the commute more interesting.

d38cc12385af4833a5a8e5b2c669e7f2.jpeg

95f4a0a3c9f54657b7c8ef181024308d.jpeg

If that ends the story, then it will be worth the effort! fingers crossed that this story turns into boring mile after mile of easy driving.

Back