Build Gaming Computer - recommendations needed

If I were building a gaming PC on budget right now I would be leaning towards AMD for the CPU (specifically a Ryzen 5). Seem to offer more bang for the buck over Intel.

SSD prices really have dropped in the last year or so. 512 GB drives seem to be the sweet spot. Most newer motherboards appear to support M.2 NVME drives so i would be going that route.

Check out slickdeals.net for components

Might not want to wait too long OP. Coronavirus will drive some hardware prices upward. Prices are still pretty cheap right now for most parts. Power Supply's are a little inflated because of tariffs. SSD's and RAM are rumored to be on the rise as well.

i5 or AMD equivalent is great for gaming. High core count processors don't help as much as you'd think, most games don't multi thread well and gains don't scale with thread count. It's all about raw horsepower with the CPU, higher clock speed equals more FPS with a 4-6 core processor being more than enough. A lot of guys get great performance out of the i3 processors on budget rigs. I would definitely spend more money on the GPU but you aren't getting this years top end model in your budget, you'll be looking at one that's 2-3 models old or one of the lower tier models.

Spend money on a high quality power supply, no point in putting a solid rig together just to have stability issues due to sagging voltage and over rated output.

16GB of RAM is great plenty for a single monitor and even most dual monitor game rigs, even 8GB is enough for most people. It's expensive for the minimal gains you're going to see.

Spend a little more time and money on thermal management, poor thermal performance will handicap the best systems. Stock coolers are rarely adequate under long term heavy loads, good case fans go a long way toward helping as well.

Originally Posted by brueggma1

Greetings BITGO,

My nephew was asking for some help building his first gaming computer (12yrs old). But, he didn't provide any requirements..
frown.gif
I'd like to ask my fellow computer nerds if you have any suggestions (build sheets) of any recent gaming builds you've done recently.

I was thinking a midtower of some kind with at least 32Gb of RAM, and a 512Mb SSD Drive.. I know video card is important but not sure what the current standard is (NVidia was big, last I remember) Cost-wise I was thinking somewhere around $500 - $750 total.

Man, we need data on his planned use, otherwise this won't get far.

For example, the setup I read about you building in this thread, it may work GREAT for Starcraft II, but Ghost Recon would wreck it. But if he's just playing online chess...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Thank you everyone! This is perfect!

One last dumb question: could he use an existing LCD/LED TV for graphics temporarily?

I love the pcpartpicket.com guide as it give you a good break down of cost / performance. The categories are great!

With gaming rigs it's primarily about FPS (frames per second) generated by the video card and the refresh rate (Hz) of the video display. They track 1:1 and will be limited by whichever is lower. For example, if the videocard can render at 144fps @1080p but the 1080p display is fixed at 120Hz then 120fps is theoretical max of what he'll get. For a serious first-person-shooter gamer it's annoying because he will occasionally get beat because his opponent is running at higher FPS but he'll also beat others who are stuck at lower fps.

144Hz @ 1440p on 27" monitor seems to be the sweet spot for avid first-person-shooters today. Prices will drop eventually, and as they say Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm running a 23.8" GSYNC with 165hz 2560x1440. I prefer the smaller screen for FPS's. If you are hitting 60fps, you're doing alright for casual gaming. 100-120fps is a pretty solid advanced gamer deal, and 120-144 is pro level. Also, if you don't sync the monitor to the graphics card, you're going to have issues with tearing. Then you need to take into account internet/latency. You don't need much speed, but latency is a big deal. Ideally, you want 0-30, I am currently running 40-60, and it hasn't handicapped me much at my level (casual), and even some people are fine with 60-80, but a pro gamer would rip their hair out much over 25-30.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Computer monitors (even new) are dirt cheap anymore. Check Craigslist and FB marketplace. Try and shoot for 1080P and 75Hz, most will be 60Hz however.

Not anything decent. The cheapest sensible decent gaming monitors are $300+. If you're just playing online chess or something, cheap is not a problem though.

Originally Posted by sloinker
The gamer's I know spend thousand's on their gear. Graphic cards alone exceed the OP's cost range. For a first timer everyone is right in going the cheap but adequate route. When the kid steps up he will have needed to saved a couple grand to get into true gaming computer territory imo.

This. I am a VERY casual gamer, and my system is about $2500 total if you were to buy it all new.

-Dell 23.8" 165hz GSYNC 2560x1440
-1080Ti
-Liquid cooled i7-7700k
-850W "gold" PS
-Mechanical keyboard (offbrand)
-32mb DDR4 2400ms
-2tB 7200rpm & 240 SSD for the system

Everyone,

One last dumb question. Where can I get a cheap legit copy of Win10 (license)? I know how to generate the ISO. Is there a special license for home builders?

Retail Windows Home - $140 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10
Educational - $25 - https://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/
Is there some place that recycles copied licenses?
??

I certainly don't know about *legit*. You buy a license to use the software on a given machine; so you never own it and therefore cannot sell it.

Everyone,

One last dumb question. Where can I get a cheap legit copy of Win10 (license)? I know how to generate the ISO. Is there a special license for home builders?

Retail Windows Home - $140 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10
Educational - $25 - https://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/
Is there some place that recycles copied licenses?
??

NOT an endorsement OR recommendation, but you can use a Windows 7 COA to activate a fresh install of Windows 10. Often used computer shops and even 2nd hand/thrift stores carry computers that have valid Windows 7 COA's on them.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

NOT an endorsement OR recommendation, but you can use a Windows 7 COA to activate a fresh install of Windows 10. Often used computer shops and even 2nd hand/thrift stores carry computers that have valid Windows 7 COA's on them.

Yup, Microsoft allows Windows 7 keys to be used for new Winows 10 installs.
My current desktop build I just did is using the Windows 7 Pro retail key I bought years ago. Worked just fine. I figure if MS allows it, it is OK.
Doing this with an already used OEM key is not OK, since OEM keys are tied to the original computer installed on.

I also know a few people that run unactivated Windows 10 indefinitely. It restricts some things (mostly customizing desktop and has a watermark on the desktop), but not any major functional issues. Not endorsing it, but just a FYI.

We were going to build one for my niece but with all problems she has had with WOW with gaming laptop even with apple she decided to go with this.
CyberPowerPC - Gamer Xtreme Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 9600KF - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT - 500GB SSD - White
900.00 then she bought a 27 Acer FHD monitor to go with it.
Hopefully she will get 60 fps.

Back