Buick Grand National Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone here on this great forum. I need to change the oil in a 87 Buick Grand National. The owner prefers full synthetic over dino oil to protect against coking in the turbocharger. I will also be adding a bottle of Zddp if necessary. Which Full synthetic oil sold at Autozone would you recommend and why. Thank you for the advice.

I'd hit WallyWorld and go for M1 or PU whatever one cheaper. I'd assume a 10-30 for your GN if it's in good shape. But that's just me. Wanted one bad back in the day!!! Had IROC's instead.

I would pre-determine a OCI based upon the condition and how hard you run it and then grab an UOA to make sure I'm on the right "track" if you will.

Originally Posted By: Turbo
Hello to everyone here on this great forum. I need to change the oil in a 87 Buick Grand National. The owner prefers full synthetic over dino oil to protect against coking in the turbocharger. I will also be adding a bottle of Zddp if necessary. Which Full synthetic oil sold at Autozone would you recommend and why. Thank you for the advice.

For that sweet ride I would not go with a regular oil from the local parts store. I would go with a premium synthetic in the correct weight. If it were me I would use the following...

1 - Royal Purple HPS
2 - Amsoil SSO
3 - Schaeffers 9000
4 - Redline
5 - Brad Penn

I wouldn't run a API SM/SN oil in it.

Last edited:
That thing is just begging for Red Line 0W-40, but if it MUST BE on Sino Mart's shelf, the excellent (and just as strong an add pack as the M1 high mileage stuff) M1 0W-40 would be my choice.

Is it pure stock, or is it modded in ANY way??

M1 15W-50 or, if you drive it in the winter a lot, M1 0W-40. Both easy to get & cheap at Walmart. No additives needed.

I'm guessing that engine probably beats the snot out of its oil.

If your customer is set on a synthetic, I'd look for any of the ACEA A3/B3/B4 oils.

As a few other members have noted, either Mobil 1 0W-40 or GC 0W-30 should work well.

You're saying a full syn oil, of recent vintage (SM/SN) wouldn't work in a vehicle mfg'd in 1987???
Would you not agree that any full syn oil is so far advanced, from what was available in 1987, that it is only important to get the correct weight-- manufacturer is a non-issue?? For all we know, the owner babies the vehicle!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Turbo

For that sweet ride I would not go with a regular oil from the local parts store. I would go with a premium synthetic in the correct weight. If it were me I would use the following...

1 - Royal Purple HPS
2 - Amsoil SSO
3 - Schaeffers 9000
4 - Redline
5 - Brad Penn

I wouldn't run a API SM/SN oil in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back