Buick GN barn find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat. Love these kinds of stories, though at this point I can't imagine spending that much money for a car from that era that a midsize v6 sedan will likely outperform in 2017.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Neat. Love these kinds of stories, though at this point I can't imagine spending that much money for a car from that era that a midsize v6 sedan will likely outperform in 2017.

I agree on the price! 200k for the pair? crazy. But buick has never made a better looking car since. About the performance, it did not take much to get those cars in the 500hp range from stock.

Wrong.

Other than good slicks, very little was needed to get these cars into the 12's.

A little bigger turbo, a higher stall speed torque converter, bigger fuel pump & injectors, and a good free-flowing intake/exhaust systems (about $2000-$2500) would get you a car that ran in the high 10's!!

It takes $15,000+ to get a subi WRX or Mitsu Lancer EVO into the 10's

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I agree on the price! 200k for the pair? crazy. But buick has never made a better looking car since. About the performance, it did not take much to get those cars in the 500hp range from stock.

It didn't really say what they paid for it, just that they negotiated the price and it took a while before they finally agreed on a price.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Wrong.

A little bigger turbo, a higher stall speed torque converter, bigger fuel pump & injectors, and a good free-flowing intake/exhaust systems (about $2000-$2500) would get you a car that ran in the high 10's!!

I think nostalgia may be warping your financials, among other things. One big thing is we're comparing something from 30 years ago, and in the meantime the Fed has been raping us every minute of every day since... for example, to achieve the equivalent of $10,000 1987 dollars, you'd need $21,444 in 2017 dollars.

Also, OP clearly stated that some of today's V6 sport sedans would give it a run for the money (and that's obviously only in a straight line, corners, comforts, etc. would never be a comparison)- and you choose to compare a 3.8L V6 (originally 245HP) with 2.0L four-cylinders. Another orange-to-apples comparison. I think you may be substituting the GNX in place of the GN's in the article. If compared on an engine size to HP output, it would take a highly modified GN to equal the 134HP/L of the current STOCK standard WRX, which would be over 500HP or more than double its original output. I haven't yet seen a stock GM transmission that will handle this; even the 200-4R needs quite a bit of TLC to do this reliably, GM's other autos of the time send bystanders ducking behind the safety walls when the shrapnel flies. I actually LOL'd at the $2-2.5k estimate to reliably get/keep a G-body in the 10s.

I guess I'm getting too fed up, my apologies. I have tons of respect for the GN's, FOR THEIR TIME, for their straight-line speed and handling. I have seen many killer GNs on the street race scene in the Chicago area. However, 30 years of engineering progress in things like driveability, NVH, and electronic driving aids makes this comparison similar to the buggy from Little House on the Prairie to well, a Tesla P100D in Ludicrous mode. If all you're looking for is stupid-cheap speed, any of the junkyard 5.3-6.2 LS variants with a small shot of nitrous jammed into Fox body will get deep into the 10s, for probably less than $4k if you're a resourceful individual. But it's still going to be a 30-year-old cracker jack box.

History like these cars IS very cool; it shows us where we were and who the trailblazers were of the time. But it should also make you very appreciative of the advances since those days.

Oh, and just as a humorous aside- don't forget the (in)famous G-body shuffle... duckwalking down their lane as their chassis flex like twizzlers. There was a time I was up at GLD and this guy had a low 8-second GN with probably 35k in it... he was boosting it up so much on the line it lifted one front tire nearly 8 inches while the car was sitting still on the line!

Wonder if it was for better reaction times getting the tires out of the beams faster?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Wrong.

I think nostalgia may be warping your financials, among other things. One big thing is we're comparing something from 30 years ago, and in the meantime the Fed has been raping us every minute of every day since... for example, to achieve the equivalent of $10,000 1987 dollars, you'd need $21,444 in 2017 dollars.

Also, OP clearly stated that some of today's V6 sport sedans would give it a run for the money (and that's obviously only in a straight line, corners, comforts, etc. would never be a comparison)- and you choose to compare a 3.8L V6 (originally 245HP) with 2.0L four-cylinders. Another orange-to-apples comparison. I think you may be substituting the GNX in place of the GN's in the article. If compared on an engine size to HP output, it would take a highly modified GN to equal the 134HP/L of the current STOCK standard WRX, which would be over 500HP or more than double its original output. I haven't yet seen a stock GM transmission that will handle this; even the 200-4R needs quite a bit of TLC to do this reliably, GM's other autos of the time send bystanders ducking behind the safety walls when the shrapnel flies. I actually LOL'd at the $2-2.5k estimate to reliably get/keep a G-body in the 10s.

I guess I'm getting too fed up, my apologies. I have tons of respect for the GN's, FOR THEIR TIME, for their straight-line speed and handling. I have seen many killer GNs on the street race scene in the Chicago area. However, 30 years of engineering progress in things like driveability, NVH, and electronic driving aids makes this comparison similar to the buggy from Little House on the Prairie to well, a Tesla P100D in Ludicrous mode. If all you're looking for is stupid-cheap speed, any of the junkyard 5.3-6.2 LS variants with a small shot of nitrous jammed into Fox body will get deep into the 10s, for probably less than $4k if you're a resourceful individual. But it's still going to be a 30-year-old cracker jack box.

History like these cars IS very cool; it shows us where we were and who the trailblazers were of the time. But it should also make you very appreciative of the advances since those days.

While I agree with 100% of your post. Many BITOG members hearken to the days of old-where bias ply tires, spark plugs, points, and condensers, and "three on the tree" ruled the day. Major "new tech phobia" on this site.

I don't have any problems with nostalgia; while I got started long after every tire being only bias-ply, the closest thing I got to points and condensers was the TFI module on my 5.0... but I believe all that most of those "nostalgics" are looking for is character... but to me, cold-blooded behaviors, spark arcing when it rains, having to set valve lash, etc is not character- it's a chore. The only time these things make sense for enjoyment is when the maintenance is the escape.

My maintenance escape is wildly overspending on various oils and filters, then eagerly awaiting UOA results so totally boring I have to fish to get comments even on this board... nobody is really surprised or interested in another 0.9ppm/1k mile for the worst wear metal with another Pennzoil Ultra Platinum sample. About the only thing I ever get is the guys even more anal than me who tell me what a dumb[censored] I am for running a NAPA Platinum 'rock catcher' filter... which just so happens to return identical wear metals and insolubles as an FU or Amsoil EaO.

Did you see the interiors on those GN's? I'm pretty sure the cells at Alcatraz were at least that accommodating. I lived with the Fox body rattles, squeaks, etc; my brother's 2000 Camaro SS will just about beat your fillings out. I had a 2009 G8 GT that went [email protected] bone stock and you didn't need a kidney belt to make a highway drive. The march of technology spares no feelings.

That's pretty awesome! Grand Nationals are on the top 10 list of any 1980's desirable car list.

Cool find but only worth about $10,000 if you wash and wax the car.

I forgot just how terrible the interior of the GN was until I saw these photos.

Neat cars. Nowadays, when I hear the work "Buick" I think of a grandma car.. not sure what happened to them in the 90's and 2000's.

The newer Regal / Grand National that was (I believe) made in Germany isn't too bad.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Cool find but only worth about $10,000 if you wash and wax the car.

I forgot just how terrible the interior of the GN was until I saw these photos.

Yeah, my '87 T-Type (which was basically a GN in disguise) was nice in '87...today it would be laughable...poor interior design...goofy looking angles and shapes of the exterior, and the build quality was not all that great either (panel gaps uneven, poor paint quality, etc). Nostalgia is neat, but I wouldn't want a GN, or a T-Type today...

... my brother's 2000 Camaro SS will just about beat your fillings out. I had a 2009 G8 GT that went [email protected] bone stock and you didn't need a kidney belt to make a highway drive. The march of technology spares no feelings.

I have a 1999 Camaro SS with 18K miles and it's quite pleasurable to drive. My fillings are just fine.

Speaking of nostaglia, I was driving a 52K mile 1969 Super Bee up to 1996, still using points/condenser/original carb. That car drove and ran like a dream....smooth as silk on out-dated 27 year old suspension and handling parts...only the shocks and tires had been changed.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
... my brother's 2000 Camaro SS will just about beat your fillings out. I had a 2009 G8 GT that went [email protected] bone stock and you didn't need a kidney belt to make a highway drive. The march of technology spares no feelings.

I have a 1999 Camaro SS with 18K miles and it's quite pleasurable to drive. My fillings are just fine.

Speaking of nostaglia, I was driving a 52K mile 1969 Super Bee up to 1996, still using points/condenser/original carb. That car drove and ran like a dream....smooth as silk on out-dated 27 year old suspension and handling parts...only the shocks and tires had been changed.

69GTX man I like your style.

If I remember right, they outran the same model year Corvette.

Buick was always a solid GM division, going their own way, and not a bad way at that. They are doing well today, although GM's recent divesting of Opel, which some of the recent models were based on, might hurt them. Extremely popular in China today, so it's not like they are standing still.

In the 60's, they led with aluminum V-6's and V-8's (the motor that British Leyland used for decades in Land Rovers), who can forget the 350 Big Block, a strong torque-oriented mill that had too much iron which was just enough to make a very solid, quiet, reliable luxury motor, reminiscent of straight-8's that you could put a glass of water on, and not see ripples.

Certainly they were better at it than Oldsmobile, despite a few classics like the Cutlass. The 80's cars reflect the General's philosophy at the time, most notably seen in the interior materials, which were cheaply implemented. But no different than anyone else at the time, and again, Buick did more with less than most GM divisions even there.

A great example of a car company that cost a little more, and actually gave you something for the extra cash you could see and feel. Amongst the most reliable vehicles you could buy from a Big-3 OEM, in most years.

I find that the GN/GNX interior is stunningly beautiful and blows away anything made today. Give me the Buick analog any day over the gimmicky garbage in today's cars.

Yeah, I'll say the same. The melted jelly bean guppy look of all todays cars is pathetic (says the guy who drives a guppy Saab 2.3t...). I have a 1970 Buick GX chassis in the back yard that will get a leaned on BBC/TH400 to become the Buivelle (just to [censored] both side off
laugh.gif
).

I have become a luddite. No bluetooth. No built-in GPS Nav system. No self parking. I can't imagine what it would cost to get any that fixed if it got touched by say lightning ...

Analog controls and gauges. Maybe digital fuel flow (?) cause it's cheap and easy to build. Pre-SMOG carb'd motor and I will be semi happy.

Also looking for an decent Jeepster to put my fresh 283 in
laugh.gif

Going back to where I came from, but I do need a bigger Harley
laugh.gif

You'all can have DI gas engines and digital traction control and all. Not for me Real Posi and chassis braces to stop the flex. I'll be quite happy in the 12's cause it'll be lap belts and a simple helmet. If it looks like it'll break out, I'll just dial the throttle back some
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back