Budget oil filter review

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I expect to get some flack, but for what it is worth, here goes.

I recently bought from Rockauto, a selection of filters that will be used for short OCI's and on lawn mowers.
The size I required were all to be the equivalant of a Fram PH 3614.
These are all 'lower priced' not 'high end' filters, but all appear OK to me and are at least as good as I am likely to find locally around here.
None have silicone ADV's, all have coil spring bypass valves.

I DID NOT TAKE PICTURES

This is a non distructive review (I do not want to cut my filters open) My review is purely subjective, I peer down through the outlet hole with the aid of a penlight, I say what I see.

Weights are taken on a kitchen scale, good + - 5 grams.

Prime Guard POF241, $1.32, Made in China, weight: 225g, core is spiral wound perforated metal, pleats look close and even.

AC Delco PF13, $1.69, Made in USA, weight 235g, plastic cage core, filter pleats very un-even, filter element is shorter than others, strange double layer base plate of thin steel.
Filter body larger in diamiter than the others.

FVP R1348, $1.32, Made in China, weight 235g, spiral wound perforated core, pleats appear even.
This filter 'appeared' marginally better than most of the others.

Premium Guard PG241, $1.32, Made in Korea, 230g, spiral wound perforated core, pleats appear even.

Proto PO241, $1.32, Made in China, 225g, spiral wound perforated core, pleats appear a little un-even.

WIX 51348:p (Car Quest), $$2.23, Made in USA, 220g, perforated metal core with vertical seam,
Pleats appear even, filter element very short, by-pass valve appears lopsided.
Visually, the filter with the worst in 'fit and finish'

All the Asian filters were packaged with an additional plastic cover on the base plate.

I bought three $2 Pronto cartridges for my Cruze. I'll remove the first one after 8k this weekend and see how it looks. It looked great going in.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If you dont mind my asking, what was shipping since they had to ship it internationally?

For 12 filters, just over $23 Canadian.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Why no pics? Still using a flip phone?

Well, I could not get decent pics of the inside, down through the outlet hole.

and seeing as posting pics on this site is a bit of a pain, I just did not want to post pics, for pics sake.

By the way. although many of the filters show similar construction, no two were the same, or even had components that were exactly the same.

Originally Posted By: expat

AC Delco PF13, $1.69, Made in USA, weight 235g, plastic cage core, filter pleats very un-even, filter element is shorter than others, strange double layer base plate of thin steel.

Did you mean PF53?

How can you see the pleats without cutting it open? Are you poking the drain back valve back somehow?

ACDelco ecores that I have cut open are packed full of pleats, and they are very even. If that ACDelco ecore is like what you say, then you have a counterfit, or a defective filter.

The ecores are shorter simply because they don't have metal end caps and glue using media space. That base plate is what Champ calls a dual flow base plate, and the inner intake holes are offset from the bigger intake holes. Can't remember what Champ said why they do this, but I believe it has something to do with pressure surges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: expat

Did you mean PF53?

How can you see the pleats without cutting it open? Are you poking the drain back valve back somehow?

On the Rockauto packing slip it says PF13. I'll check the actual filter later.

It would be better if I could see the outer-side of the filter element. But by looking down the centeral outlet hole, it is possible to see some of the element pleats.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
That base plate is what Champ calls a dual flow base plate, and the inner intake holes are offset from the bigger intake holes. Can't remember what Champ said why they do this, but I believe it has something to do with pressure surges.

That is their ADBV/bypass "combo valve" design.

It's good to review uncut filters to look for construction and defects. The guy at the jiffy probably isn't going to do that. Asian products are eating our lunch. The thing I am seeing about rock auto filters is it looks like they go around buying out surplus, or discontinued filters, maybe. I bought some Densos in the blue can which are very nice filters, but I think I see now why they were cheap, Denso isn't selling them anymore. I am not even sure I want to finish using them now, as who knows how old they are. Probably from cleared out old stock. For me, lesson learned. I assumed these were regular stocked products, they weren't, and they weren't on "wholesaler closeout" either.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BigD1
That base plate is what Champ calls a dual flow base plate, and the inner intake holes are offset from the bigger intake holes. Can't remember what Champ said why they do this, but I believe it has something to do with pressure surges.

That is their ADBV/bypass "combo valve" design.

Yes that's right, but Champ calls that base plate design double flow path. I wonder how much it does help.

"And, the patent pending combination relief and anti-drainback valve, which, along with Ecore's double flow path design, provide for better oil flow in the event of a clogged filter or in cold start conditions. Conventional designs only have one flow through path," Gaither said."

This week I got 5 filters-3 oil and 2 air from RockAuto. They were indeed old stock.
I got a Fram ph8a that had a big dent on the dome end so I will not use it.They already sent me another one that's in good shape. The bad one has a 2009 date and the new one is 2013.
The boxes are all pretty beat up but for 1.39 each that's OK.
The 5 filters plus shipping was 17 bucks.
Just one of the air filters at WM was 19 bucks so I am happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back