Brush on caliper paint

IMO, you'll never be satisfied with the look of brush or rattle can paint job on the calipers. If you are restoring your wheels, it sounds like you want the vehicle to look right. You may consider pulling a front set of calipers from a bone yard, rebuilding them and get those powered coated. It will look factory, 1000% better and you'll have a larger selections of colors (BMW blue?)
I would love to, but it seems like a lot of work

I can hardly see the calipers right now, so it’s fine

I always spray paint my replacement calipers, as a method of rust prevention, with what ever dark color I have on hand. Seems to hold up just fine.
With regular or caliper paint?

I just hit mine with silver wheel paint in a rattle can for the OE look. No need for a perfect job, I'm not showing my vehicles and they look fine through the wheels. Cardboard for overspray every tire rotation and good to go.

I am going to have my car on jack stands for a few days, and I will be replacing front brake pads.

The calipers are pretty rusty

Could I use this?

I'm starting tomorrow, so it would have to be something locally available

The caliper is mainly a big chunk of steel that works as it should whether it's rusty or not. Most new calipers are painted or coated to prevent rust.

My guess is 99.9% of the brake calipers on vehicles have never seen any paint or other treatment beyond what was done when they were manufactured.

Speaking of VHT caliper paint, I hate it. followed instructions to the T, painted calipers I clean-up very well then oven baked and waited a few days for reassembly.
9fwLufCh.png

The minute the caliper and brake got exposed to brake fluid the paint started dissolving.

OtNN44oh.png

Speaking of VHT caliper paint, I hate it. followed instructions to the T, painted calipers I clean-up very well then oven baked and waited a few days for reassembly.

The minute the caliper and brake got exposed to brake fluid the paint started dissolving.

I use rustoleum engine paint, it works great, readily available and not pricey. I’ve used it on Calipers and turbocharger parts. It holds up, takes the heat, maintains gloss. The enamel is highly solvent-resistant once cured.

I don’t have a pic of it on the calipers on this device, but this is a turbocharger intercooler pipe I painted with the same Rustoleum Ford Blue engine paint (because it matches Volvo blue, aka “Swedish Racing Green” perfectly).

527EF570-F08C-4312-9A79-1F6F6645753B.jpeg

Yep. I've used regular 1/2 pt cans of rustoleum and never a problem. I use a foam sponge brush and dab apply it

Yep. I've used regular 1/2 pt cans of rustoleum and never a problem. I use a foam sponge brush and dab apply it

These are stock volvo calipers I did with the Rustoleum engine paint, right at 2 years ago. I wiped a little dust off them and spritzed them with water to rinse, but otherwise I didn’t “primp” them. I painted the rotor hat and the dust shield (slightly visible at the top behind the rotor), and the pad back with Rustoleum silver high-temp grill paint. Also doing fine.

The trick is of course prep. A secret is that HCl (hydrochloric acid) will eat up that nasty baked-on brake dust off in no time. I used muriatic acid (pool acid) 1:1 with water and brushed down the parts first. It also of course acid-preps the metal for great adhesion of your paint. This is a cheap, fast, excellent way to prep parts for painting or other refinishing. Of course, you need to be careful, but it is very effective and I only do it in the shop sink or outside with a hose running to rinse or neutralize it quickly.

These rotors are cast and not highly finished. If I wanted a real shine, I could have sanded them quite a bit and got that. If your rotors are nicely machined, this paint will show that off.

54325886-60E9-486E-A2BA-DF839043A2AE.jpeg

Back