Brush on caliper paint

I am going to have my car on jack stands for a few days, and I will be replacing front brake pads.

The calipers are pretty rusty

Could I use this?

I'm starting tomorrow, so it would have to be something locally available

I've used that on the exhausts for my ope, still hasn't flaked almost 4 years later so I'd say yes. Though it's gonna be exposed to the elements more so it might need a repainted every 1-3 years.

If you can find POR-15, I can vouch that it works well and holds up. I did mine more than a few years ago and the paint is in great shape. You might want to use a rust remover first though. I bought some in a spray bottle that turns into a gel that you can "smear" around, then remove before applying the paint.

What car is it? Does it have fixed calipers? Seems like most cars that have them don’t rust as they were protected from the factory…

What car is it? Does it have fixed calipers? Seems like most cars that have them don’t rust as they were protected from the factory…
They’re not super rusty

But I definitely need to paint the front part of my brake rotors - not where it contacts pad.

I think a paint specially designed for brake calipers would be a better choice. I have used VHT caliper paint with nice glossy finish that holds up to heat and wheel cleaners etc. It is available at auto parts stores.

I think a paint specially designed for brake calipers would be a better choice. I have used VHT caliper paint with nice glossy finish that holds up to heat and wheel cleaners etc. It is available at auto parts stores.
I found some SIlver rustoleam high heat paint I will use

I found some SIlver rustoleam high heat paint I will use
I think the thing we are not considering is that high heat paint is just one requirement a caliper paint needs. You have to have chemical resistance and abilty to maintain gloss. The average hi temp paint might be good for BBQ grill but after a year it's faded. I really think a made for the purpose caliper paint will serve much better. But - since you are going with silver it would just fade to a normal worn caliper appearance in short time.

ON amazon for the VHT paint, people said it wasn't resistant to brake fluid

I'd remove the rust and use aluminized silver paint instead. That barbecue paint is flat black and not much of an improvement unless you're going for the burnt forest look.

I was saying that in response to GMboy saying that caliper paint was better in that aspect

What paints are resistant to brake fluid?

Also, this shouldn’t be a problem if your calipers and hoses don’t leak.
I actually contacted POR-15 about this. They indicated that their product will not stand up to brake fluid though I got mixed up and was concerned about brake cleaner. I wasn't going to use their paint if every time I serviced my brakes or replaced pads/rotors and the brake cleaner I used would remove the paint. POR-15 isn't hurt by brake/parts cleaner at all, in my experience.

I was saying that in response to GMboy saying that caliper paint was better in that aspect

ON amazon for the VHT paint, people said it wasn't resistant to brake fluidMost any paint isn't resistant to brake fluid and the calipers won't see brake fluid unless tou

I meant wheel cleaning chemicals and such - brake fluid will eat just about any paint. But then when are you seeing brake fluid outside the calipers except for bleeding brakes (use a hose to prevent that) or a leak.

IMO, you'll never be satisfied with the look of brush or rattle can paint job on the calipers. If you are restoring your wheels, it sounds like you want the vehicle to look right. You may consider pulling a front set of calipers from a bone yard, rebuilding them and get those powered coated. It will look factory, 1000% better and you'll have a larger selections of colors (BMW blue?)

I always spray paint my replacement calipers, as a method of rust prevention, with what ever dark color I have on hand. Seems to hold up just fine.

Back